• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle frites!

thank god i moved off capitol hill...frites of all varieties are my most consistent weakness...tighe - what sauce did you get? do they serve anything else? (belgian waffles...belgian beer...?)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

tighe - what sauce did you get? do they serve anything else? (belgian waffles...belgian beer...?)

On the owner's recommendation, I had the pesto mayonnaise, which was good. There are several others that I'd like to try as well. Frites and drinks is all they serve. I heard the owner talking to another customer about how they had wanted to serve Belgian beers as well, but the club didn't want competition for their bar sales (boo hiss!).

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

what club is it attached to?

It's the one that used to be ARO Space, but I don't know what the name is these days.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

I have fond memories of Moe's. When we first moved to Seattle, Laurie and I were 20, and this was before there were any all ages shows to speak of. One time I blustered past the bouncer at Moe's, and after that I never got carded because "hey, we know you." Saw some great shows, and my band Cat Piss Lint Trap even played there once.

I dunno if the club is good any more, but there are frites!

Sleepy Dragon, thanks for reminding me that I need to go to CC's. malarkey, CC's is in the CD at 26th and Union.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

ok, I just came from there... you're right Tighe, a medium is HUGE. That was pretty much my dinner. :wacko:

I wonder what kind of oil he's frying in, they seem to have a slightly different after taste than other fries I've had. I got the poblano ranch dip and it pretty much tastes like ranch. I can't detect any poblano flavor, which is too bad cuz I LOVE poblano. But maybe its subtle and I'm not tasting it, I like chile flavors to be strong.

I drove right by the place and didn't see it, it's not real visible. He does have a sign out on Pike, but there's no sign over the place. Good thing its not in my hood...

Born Free, Now Expensive

ok, I just came from there... you're right Tighe, a medium is HUGE. That was pretty much my dinner. :wacko:

I wonder what kind of oil he's frying in, they seem to have a slightly different after taste than other fries I've had. I got the poblano ranch dip and it pretty much tastes like ranch. I can't detect any poblano flavor, which is too bad cuz I LOVE poblano. But maybe its subtle and I'm not tasting it, I like chile flavors to be strong.

I drove right by the place and didn't see it, it's not real visible. He does have a sign out on Pike, but there's no sign over the place. Good thing its not in my hood...

Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but....did you like them, or not so much?

Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but....did you like them, or not so much?

oh I LIKED them, very much! I can't really say I think they are the be all and end all of all the fries I've ever had, but I'm willing to do more research and try them again :wink:

Edited by malarkey (log)

Born Free, Now Expensive

Yeah, the signage is less than good. I saw the A-frame, got all excited, and then spent a couple minutes standing on the corner looking around thinking, "Fries? Where fries?" Luckily, on this corner, I fit right in.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Finally got my own paper cone today. :biggrin: Boy, that was fun. I managed to finish off a third of a medium, and feel stuffed to bursting. Was so hard to stop though because I'd also gotten a five sauce sampler, hehe.

My sauces: curry ketchup (no actual ketchup in it, it's a creamy sauce with a few spices in it, a little hard to discern the curry flavor), "frites sauce", red pepper chipotle sauce, tzaziki, and honey mustard. I liked the frites sauce and red pepper chipotle sauce the best.

That's maybe a third of the sauces actually available. Plus there's also fried mozzarella and corn dogs on the menu as well.

Next time I go, I need to bring classmates or something, probably three or four of us could finish a medium. Maybe! :laugh:

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

• 4 weeks later...

Just tried the Belgian Frites place on 10th as well, and my are those frites tasty. They are not like the kind you get at B Frites in Times Square, which have this pure potato flavor, are about a half inch square, medium golden in color, lightly crispy all around and firm throughout. Nope, the ones at this place are chubbier and shorter, well-browned and rosy, with sweet, creamy centers - creamy like mashed potatoes. The sweetness and the creamy texture add a wonderful complexity that elevate these frites far beyond my current local fave featured at the Tangletown.

As you can see, I liked these very much. I really liked the fact they are only a few blocks down from Espresso Vivace. Nothing better than smoking hot frites and hot chocolate on a cool pre-summer evening.

By the way, I got the poblano ranch dressing which was good but average. Which leads me to ask, how did any of you manage to drive home with a really hot cone of these and sauce? It was hard enough walking to my car without burning myself, let alone trying to drive without letting either spill.

I finally got to try the Frites on 10th! Let me just say they are the perfect apres-SIFF snack. The woman behind the counter was an Encyclopedia of Frites and tipped us to the scam of ordering one cone each, which got us 3 different sauces, plus a sauce sampler which got us 5 additional sauces for $1.00. My fave was the rosemary mayo and my companions were partial to garlic aioli. Poblano pepper was okay, as was their frite-saus (mayo, lemon, mustard). Curry ketchup was universally panned and our german expert Jenny said it was not at all like the curry ketchup on german sausages . She also said the true experience is having the sauce dumped right into the cone which makes travelling with them easier and also explains why you need to fish them out delicately with the two-pronged wooden implement.

Thanks for the tip Laurie A-B!

i had frites on friday. i was pleased - the sauce sampler is definitely the way to go, though i hope they boost the intensity of the flavors in the mayo-based sauces. aside from the rosemary, the other mayo sauces were not intense enough for me. i loved the bbq sauce, though i'm certain it's bulls-eye (which is my favorite, so i was pleased - but i'd be shocked to find it was homemade). the curry ketchup was devoid of curry flavor. i think they need a genuinely spicy one - a sriracha ketchup or a chipotle mayo that's got a kick.

it's a great spot though - laurie and matthew - thanks for the tip!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Does this place have a name? Excuse me if I missed it somewhere!

Their sign and window simply say 'Belgian Frites', so as far as I know that's the only name....

Hubby and I had lunch of frites ther today, oh how I love a hole in the wall! Very cool. We each ordered a medium cone. Neither could finish more than half (and let me say that my hubby eats a lot!). We each ordered the sauce sampler. With 5 sauces for each we had almost everything on the list. Then the guy gave us a sample of 2 new sauces they are working on- Adobe chili mayo and sundried tomoto pesto. Both very good- the Adobe is hot and smokey.

My favorite sauce was the fritesauce. Coming in next would be the roasted red pepper and the rosemary mayo.

Now let's talk bargain!!! If you order a small frite with one sauce and a bottle of water it will run you $4! Nice!

As always egulleters- thanks for the heads up!!!! :raz:

Went by Vlaamse Frites tonight and had a small (erp!) with fritesaus. The people and place were gezellig (convivial) and the frites were lekker (yummy). They even had all the all the requisite equipment, inclusing the little gizmo for shaking the frites with the salt. The one saus they didn't have -- unless I missed it, which was totally plausible as their signage leaves a bit to be desired -- was the old fave, peanut... a necessary part of the traditional A'dam frites-mayo-peanut hangover cure.

And yes, it is a total pain in the butt to find. If I hadn't known it was next to Neumo's, I might never have found it, even knowing which intersection it was.

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

• 3 months later...

I stopped by Frites last night and I'll be the dissenting voice here and say that I was disappointed. Yeah they have lots of dipping sauces, and they're good enough, but the frites themselves were not good. I was reminded of the mealy, flavorless fries I used to get at the cafeteria in college. Are these really made from freshly sliced potatoes or are the a frozen, prepackaged, foodservice item?

Now Sambar, they got some good frites, don't even need a dipping sauce.

I stopped by Frites last night and I'll be the dissenting voice here and say that I was disappointed....

Now Sambar, they got some good frites, don't even need a dipping sauce.

Halland, I tried Sambar's frites a couple of weeks ago - i must agree - definitely the best frites i've ever eaten. we didn't have a great experience at Sambar, but those frites were heaven. When we had frites from Frites, we liked them and the guy working there, but thought the sauces could have been zippier and the frites could have been crisper. In a celebrity death match of frites - i've got Sambar in one round.

--6 Train