• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle frites!

So, the other day Matthew, Iris, and I were walking down Broadway nibbling some fries from Dick's. I lamented, once again, the lack of a nice Belgian frites stand in Seattle. During our brief time in New York I loved picking up frites and mayonnaise at Pommes Frites on 2nd, while Matthew was more fond of B. Frites in Times Square. I love walking down the street with a paper cone of great fries. As we talked, I reminded myself that I wanted to start an egullet thread about types of restaurants that we lack in Seattle. Top of my list: frites stand.

This afternoon I was home with baby when Matthew came back from a walk bearing... a paper cone of frites! I was delighted to learn that a frites stand has opened on 10th Ave (which happens to be the street we live on) between Pike and Union. Matthew said an array of sauces is available as well. My frites held up fairly well through the walk home, thick cut, crispy on the outside, sprinkled with a nice flaky salt. I can't wait to taste them freshly fried. That block is not heavily traveled, so please get out and support your local frites stand.

Edited by LaurieA-B (log)
Hungry Monkey May 2009

YUM! I love fries. I really really love fries. Thanks for the tip and please let us know which sauces you like best. It'll be just a few more months before Iris can eat her own cone of fries. :biggrin:

Where else can good fries be found in the city? I know that we've talked about good fries in other threads, but I don't recall there being a consensus on any single place that has truly great fries (or maybe I've just forgotten?? Maybe I should go do a search....)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

It's a total hole-in-the-wall. I'm not even sure what the name of the place is; my best guess is "Frites: Belgian Fries." The guy behind the counter said the owner used to live in Europe and missed Belgian frites when he came back to the US.

We spoke a bit about potato varieties. They tried Yukon Golds, he said, thinking they would be like the Dutch-invented bintje variety used in Belgium, but the color and texture were wrong. They ended up using russets. I'm wondering whether actual bintjes are grown locally and whether they would be enough like the potatoes grown in Europe. (The guy at B. Frites uses them, so I'm optimistic.) I may talk to the potato wizards at Alden Farm and see if they can help. As you can tell, while I liked these fries and they were very close to a real pommes frites experience, the potato is not exactly what I envision as frites heaven.

I wanted the roasted red pepper chipotle sauce, but they were out. I got barbecue instead. They have ketchup, a couple of flavored ketchups, mayo, flavored mayo, and others I'm forgetting.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Fries have always been one of my favorite snacks. :rolleyes:

What is the difference between French Fries and Belgian Frites?

I must get up to Capital Hill to try the frites that Laurie writes about. Thanks for the heads up Laurie!

I wish I could recommend some good fries in Seattle, but I can't really, as they are hit and miss. Dicks fries are a treat, albeit a bit too limp & greasy but that is part of their charm, and I like McDonald's fries (eek), and they are consistant. I think the thinner shoestring types taste better than fat cut ones that are a bit too potatoey/starchy.

I love my fries sprinkled with salt, and dipped in tarter sauce, or sometimes ketchup. hmm.. the roasted red pepper chipotle sauce sounds good!

Outside of Belgian frites, I like skinny fries too. (Inside of Belgian frites, it's too greasy to read.) My top Seattle picks are Shultzy's, Old Town Alehouse, and Oceanaire. The fries at Cassis and Bandol are also quite good.

Belgian frites are usually made with slightly lower-starch potatoes than russets, and they are cut fairly thick (about 1/2" square) and into short lengths (no longer than about 2"-3"). They are always double-fried, tossed with salt, and served in a paper cone. In Belgium they're served with mayo on top, I hear, but here you usually get a choice of sauces.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I've pressed my nose against the window at this plase on my way to various lunch places, but it's always been closed. I'm glad its good, although it way too close to the office. I have such fond memories of Belgian fries from the year I lived in Luxembourg.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I had some really good frites at Cafe Campagne on Easter morning. I ordered the Oeufs en Meurette (poached, on garlic croutons, in a red wine-foie gras sauce--very good). As a side dish, I received a little, napkin-draped basket full of freshly fried pommes frites. They were perfect in my opinion--just the right mix of crispiness and pliability, pleasantly salty, and full of little "crispies" as I like to call the small pieces of over-crisped end pieces. They were served with a requested pot of aioli, which was nice, but even better were the stolen dips into the harissa rouille which came with my husband's steak and oeufs. What a great breakfast!

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Oh, Belgian Frys are delicious! I had the pleasure of having the classic meal of Moules Frites in Bruges a few years ago. Mounds of gently steamed mussels and heaps of crispy, creamy fries.

They are thicker than most American fries, and as Matthew indicated, they are fried twice. The first time is to actually cook the potato through, at a lower temperature. The second time, when they're ordered is at a higher heat, to crisp them up. Sometimes, they're even a little puffy, because the steam is captured inside the golden crust, and it expands them a bit. At that dinner, we were offered a selection of dipping sauces for the fries - it was a while ago, so I don't remember exactly what they were, but we got some of each variety to try them all. I particularly enjoyed a mayonnaise based sauce that had something pickled in it (capers? cornichons?), which nicely balanced the richness of the mayo and potato. I don't remember seeing the Frites stands on the streets, but then I was more interested in the Herring stalls. :smile:

I'm chagrined at the timing of that stand opening. I'm sitting here with my new South Beach diet book at my side, with full intentions of being a (very) good girl and dropping some poundage. Unfortunately, the #1 forbidden food is potatoes! So I'll just have to live vicariously through your postings for a while.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I had some really good frites at Cafe Campagne on Easter morning.  I ordered the Oeufs en Meurette (poached, on garlic croutons, in a red wine-foie gras sauce--very good).  As a side dish, I received a little, napkin-draped basket full of freshly fried pommes frites.  They were perfect in my opinion--just the right mix of crispiness and pliability, pleasantly salty, and full of little "crispies" as I like to call the small pieces of over-crisped end pieces.  They were served with a requested pot of aioli, which was nice, but even better were the stolen dips into the harissa rouille which came with my husband's steak and oeufs.  What a great breakfast!

SeaGal, I was also at Cafe Campagne for Easter brunch! I wish I would have seen you ... and I also had the Oeufs en Meurette w/frites! We were there at noon.

Yes, those frites at Cafe Campagne were really delicious, and so good dipped in the red wine-fois gras sauce. A great accompaniment. Frites also come with the lamb burger.

I also nominate Cafe Campagne - but they can be hit or miss. Mostly hit.

Same for Brasa - they can be great, or not.

Cascadia - not enough sampling to know if they are always that good.

Tom Douglas's places are typically very good at fries too.

I may talk to the potato wizards at Alden Farm and see if they can help. As you can tell, while I liked these fries and they were very close to a real pommes frites experience, the potato is not exactly what I envision as frites heaven.

"potato wizards"? :huh::raz:

SeaGal, I was also at Cafe Campagne for Easter brunch! I wish I would have seen you ... and I also had the Oeufs en Meurette w/frites! We were there at noon.

Yes, those frites at Cafe Campagne were really delicious, and so good dipped in the red wine-fois gras sauce. A great accompaniment. Frites also come with the lamb burger.

We were there at the ungodly hour of 8:00am, (big bowl latte, please) so you probably woundn't have wanted to see me then :wink: Anyway, that's funny we both chose the same breakfast. And yes, I forgot to mention dipping the frites in the foie gras/red wine sauce and the oozy, poached egg-yolk.....I walked by again the other morning in hopes of a repeat, but forgot they don't do breakfast on weekdays.....oh well.....off to Le Pichet for oeufs plat!

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Is he open at night?

My question is, "when is it open?", period. I tried to go by today at lunch and it was shut tight. Also no indication of days/times when it's open. I find it all a little annoying, but not sufficiently so to keep me from trying again. Is it so tough to tape up a sheet of paper with your hours?...

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

I haven't had Cafe Campagne's, but Norm's in Fremont has fries most like the ones I've had in Paris.

Maybe I ate too many Belgian style frites on a recent trip to the Netherlands and Belgium, but for some reason, Belgian frites just don't do it for me anymore. I like the skinny French style so much better.

Anyone like sweet potato fries?

New place at Western and Broad called BaRoCho has them as well as sweet 'tater mashers to go with latin/cuban style bistro cuisine. Overlooks what will be the Seattle Art Museum Sculpture Park. Tasty chef's 5-spice salt to shake on - salt, pepper, cumin, coriander and ? The fries still tasted like sweet potatos - medium cut, some browned, some not, not too greasy.

The frites I've had at Cafe Campagne have always been very good.

They're good, but not as good as they were when Tamara was there--excruciatingly thin, which optimizes the fat-absorbed-to-carb ratio, to great effect. (Hmm...would that make them Zone-friendly? I guess not.) Sad thing is, Tamara hasn't re-created those great frites at Brasa. Again, they're good but not as good as when I was a boy (well, younger anyway) I always go for Brasa's fried onions instead, which seem to have channeled the spirit of the old Campange frites.

"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." --Dalai Lama

ohhhh that's HERESY Blue Heron!!! Onion Rings never come CLOSE to delivering the ecstasy frites can!

I dunno, the onion rings at CC's Gourmet Burgers could give them a run. :wub:

Anyway, I'm excited at the prospect of frites on the street too. Gonna try and get my own paper cone tomorrow after school. Thank you to the A-B's for the alert.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

I should have asked. Whoever finds the place open next is required to ask about hours, for the good of society.

I went today...they are open from 12:30 PM to 2:30 AM, Tuesday through Saturday. The late hour is due to the fact they're catering to patrons of the club that they're attached to. Excellent business plan, given that these fries may be the perfect late night munchy food.

I thought the fries were excellent. It reminded me that thick-cut fries can actually be worthwhile to eat. The vast majority aren't for me. These actuall tasted like fresh potatoes. I ordered the 'medium' size, which was too much for me to finish, the large must be stupefying. I'll be back, probably too often for my own good....