• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ciao Bella

Pan

nor have I tried cones, which to my understanding is really more of a conventional American ice cream in construction, not a criticism, but not gelato either.

Actually I think its sort of a South American take--Argentinian to be specific.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

Am I understanding you correctly to be saying that having ice cream in a cone is not regularly done with gelato in Italy? If so, that is certainly false. Loads and loads of Italians got gelato in cones in Siena and did their passeggi on the streets eating them.

I didn't mean that at all. I should have capitalized Cones, I was referring to the place on Bleecker Street.

Oh. I'm not familiar with the place (obviously :laugh:).

then you should go immediately and get a several scoops of zabaglione. or coconut. or strawberry. i'm serious.

Oh. I'm not familiar with the place (obviously  :laugh:).

then you should go immediately and get a several scoops of zabaglione. or coconut. or strawberry. i'm serious.

And then try their ginger sorbet. Mmmm. My favorite. And then their canteloupe sorbet. :smile:

• 4 years later...

This is probably way late to chime in but I had Ciao Bella for the first time today (from the Mott St. store) and it was disappointing. I got the chocolate gelato - flavor was good but texture too "chewy" for my taste, and the coconut sorbetto - again flavor was good but this time the texture was too icy and chunky. To me the best gelato has a smooth and creamy texture and neither had that. I'll have to try Il Lab, as for other local places I very much enjoyed the pear at L'Arte Del Gelato in Chelsea Market.