• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mother's Day brunch

hjshorter

Anyone have any suggestion? An early dinner might be a good alternative too.

My mother-in-law will be here that weekend. We haven't seen her for Mother's Day in 6-7 years, so we're thinking about taking her out. We don't usually do this - am I wrong in assuming that most restaurants will know that children will most likely be dining out a lot that day? (Don't worry Mark, Citronelle is not currently on our list of options :cool: )

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

She's pretty flexible, but spicy food keeps her awake at night. I'm not wild about going out, but I want to cook even less, so here I am. I don't want one of those special occassion food mills - you know, "special" Mother's Day menu, rushed half-assed service, etc. I'm leaning toward calling Black's in Bethesda.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

She's pretty flexible, but spicy food keeps her awake at night. I'm not wild about going out, but I want to cook even less, so here I am. I don't want one of those special occassion food mills - you know, "special" Mother's Day menu, rushed half-assed service, etc. I'm leaning toward calling Black's in Bethesda.

Good luck. Make reservations immediately. And then reconsider cooking -- the fact that restaurants know that children are coming doesn't make it any easier on you, and every restaurant gets a bit factory-like on MDay.

Other tips: eat early, before the staff get surly, the reservations back up and they run out of their most popular dishes. I don't know Blacks, but a place that is open roomy is key; even when they are crowded, you don't feel as scrunched. This is not a day to try someplace new. And, is their anything weird you can consider? Maybe not vegetarian Indian but, say, a steakhouse (we had a very nice MDay at the Palm one year, too butch for most mom's, but my MIL took it right in stride).

Finally, have you considered feeding her champagne and fruit, until she falls asleep, and then telling her you missed the reservation?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Finally, have you considered feeding her champagne and fruit, until she falls asleep, and then telling her you missed the reservation?

:laugh: Too bad she doesn't drink!

Seriously, thanks for the advice. A steakhouse is a good suggestion.

I wonder if the Ritz at Tyson's still has a brunch? Seems to me that we took my dad there 2-3 years ago and had a nice time.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

L'Auberge Chez Francoise in Great Falls has a childrens menu $32 and usually has specials for Mothers Day. The women all receive a rose usually. This is Monsieur Fancoise's 5oth year in business. They are very accomadating with children, they also have patio sitting where the younger children won't feel as constrained!

BTW that childrens menu is a 5 course also which includes Filet Mignon should they choose to eat that! It really is a great deal!

Edited by raisab (log)

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Thanks for the suggestion, although I would bet that they are all booked up. It's worth a call.

I haven't been to L'Auberge since I was extremely pregnant with my daughter. (I had two glasses of wine with my meal and remember vividly the disapproving looks from the diners around us)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I spent two weeks working at the old Rio Grande in Bethesda. The only weekend I worked was Mother's Day weekend (my mother was pissed :angry: ) Mother's day Sunday was dull, because the restaurant was only 1/2 full.

This year may be different 'cause of the new location though. :hmmm:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Or maybe Ardeo?
Ardeo is a solid choice!! And if you're willing to go to Bethesda (Black's), I would also suggest looking into Normandie Farm in Potomac. They are very child friendly for holiday brunches.

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

I called Normandie Farm and they won't be serving lunch that day - only a "special dinner menu."

L'Auberge is booked when we want a reservation.

The Tower Oaks Lodge was suggested. It's part of the Clyde's group - anyone been there?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I called Normandie Farm and they won't be serving lunch that day - only a "special dinner menu."

The Tower Oaks Lodge was suggested.  It's part of the Clyde's group - anyone been there?

jenrus has and says it is pretty much Clyde's with a different name. Not that that is entirely bad...

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

The Tower Oaks Lodge was suggested.  It's part of the Clyde's group - anyone been there?

Jen has and says it is pretty much Clyde's with a different name. Not that that is entirely bad...

It has the advantage of being a mile from my house.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I don't know where you are located but if you want ot get out of the metro area, the Hunters Head in Upperville, VA and Ashby Inn in Paris, VA (both 10 and 15 miles, respectively, west of Middleburg on Rt 50) do a Mothers Day brunch.

If your mother in law isn't into great food don't waste your time at the Ashby. Instead, wait until she offers to take the kids for a weekend and go for brunch with Scott.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

That's too bad.

I would've also suggested Chadwick's on Wisconsin, across from Mazza Gallerie, but after my experience there on Sunday, I would suggest Bob Evan's before going back to Chadwick's

(Sitting for lamb chops)

That's too bad.

I would've also suggested Chadwick's on Wisconsin, across from Mazza Gallerie, but after my experience there on Sunday, I would suggest Bob Evan's before going back to Chadwick's

Could you be more specific? Did you not like Chadwick's period or just not for Mother's Day.

I don't think it's appropriately "nice" for Mother's Day, but on a sunny day, their outdoor seating area is great for kicking back with friends. The indoor part isn't so nice - dark and gloomy.

If your mother in law isn't into great food don't waste your time at the Ashby. Instead, wait until she offers to take the kids for a weekend and go for brunch with Scott.

Maybe you have had better luck with Ashby then I have, but I have found it to be lacking both for brunch and dinner. I have given a couple of chances for both and will probably never go back. A better choice for dinner in this area is Auberge Provencale. I think Ashby benefits from the fact there is not alot of competition out here. Alsop Four and Twenty Blackbirds is wonderful for both brunch and dinner.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

I just made a reservation using OpenTable.com. First, I gave myself a scare. I couldn't figure out why I asked for 11 am, but was being offered tables at 9 pm and I worried that everything was booked up. I subsequently realized that although I changed their default from 12 to 11, I failed to change PM to AM.

Once I fixed that, I found lots of good options (well, how GOOD they'll be on Mother's Day is yet to be determined).

That's too bad.

Could you be more specific?

Certainly. The atmosphere was fine, it was the food that I had a problem with. We were an 8 top (6 adults/2 children) and I think 3 of us got poached eggs of some variation. When the eggs arrived, I cut into mine and noticed the absence of the runny yolk. As I cut through the center of both yolks, I noticed that one of the eggs was soft-boiled and the other was closer to hard-boiled (as was the rest of the eggs at the table). I explained my problem to the waitress , Anna (very cute BTW), and she brought them back and had the kitchen make me new ones. When she returned, the eggs were VERY undercooked, the yolk on one of the eggs was already broken, and there was a puddle of water mixed in with the broken yolk (as if the cook had used a regular spoon to retrieve the eggs from the pan rather than a slotted spoon). Additionally, the english muffin was more like mush (from the water). Finally, I just had her bring me some waffles which were just okay.

The restaurant wasn't very busy (I think there were only 3 or 4 other table there at the time), nor did Anna seem like she had more than she could handle.

I'd be willing to give it a another try somewhere down the road, but for now, I'm sticking with Ardeo!

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Give them another chance for lunch. :wink: Breakfast/brunch doesn't sound like their forte!

We've had pretty good burgers, great soups, hummus, crab cake sandwiches, etc. there and although it's certainly not haute cuisine, it's a nice lunch-with-friends-outside place.

Give them another chance for lunch. :wink: Breakfast/brunch doesn't sound like their forte!

Jenny,

You're probably right. One day I WILL eat there again. It's just that I live in Howard County and only make down to D.C. once or twice a month to visit my mother who lives in Cleveland Park. The visit ALWAYS includes a lunch or dinner at a restaurant of my choice. I just feel that there are too many restaurants in D.C. to waste my time going to if the first meal I have there is sub-par. Unless I've heard really exceptional things about a restaurant, they usually only get one chance to win me over.

But I'll tell you what, next time I'm down in the Friendship Heights area doing some shopping or seeing a movie, I will make it a point to go back to Chadwicks, order a burger and soup, and eat it outside (I love to people watch) and then report back to you.

Speaking of Friendship Heights, has anyone been to Kron Chocolatier in Mazza Gallerie? The truffles there are THE BEST I have ever had!! UNBELIEVABLE!! Do yourself a favor and get a sample the next time you're down there.

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Give them another chance for lunch.  :wink:  Breakfast/brunch doesn't sound like their forte!

Jenny,

You're probably right. One day I WILL eat there again. It's just that I live in Howard County and only make down to D.C. once or twice a month to visit my mother who lives in Cleveland Park. The visit ALWAYS includes a lunch or dinner at a restaurant of my choice. I just feel that there are too many restaurants in D.C. to waste my time going to if the first meal I have there is sub-par. Unless I've heard really exceptional things about a restaurant, they usually only get one chance to win me over.

But I'll tell you what, next time I'm down in the Friendship Heights area doing some shopping or seeing a movie, I will make it a point to go back to Chadwicks, order a burger and soup, and eat it outside (I love to people watch) and then report back to you.

Speaking of Friendship Heights, has anyone been to Kron Chocolatier in Mazza Gallerie? The truffles there are THE BEST I have ever had!! UNBELIEVABLE!! Do yourself a favor and get a sample the next time you're down there.

There are definitely better DC options than Chadwick's. We go there (in summer only) because it's close to where a lot of my friends and I live.

In the immediate vicinity, there aren't many great food choices IMHO. Really, it's pretty much Chadwick's, Panera (chain), Chipotle (chain), Cheesecake Factory (chain), Maggiano's (chain).