• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza, Chinese Food, Deli

Turtleboy

Are the three things that really suck in DC compared to other major cities.

Yes, Full Kee is good, but Chinatown in general is lame. Yes, I've been to Pizzaria Paradisio, but sometimes you just want an old fashioned NY slice. And Deli -- well, I've been to Krupin's and I've been to Stacks.

But I've also been to Second Avenue Deli in NYC, and they don't even come close.

But the questions is, why to these three types of food (Italian, Chinese, Jewish) suck so much? I think it's because that DC never get the immigrant waves of these groups 100 years ago when NYC (and other major cities) did.

Ethipoian, Salvadoran, Vietnamese, etc are great b/c we have those immigrants, but sometimes I just wish I could have a big slice of Pizza, great chinese food that isn't General Whoever, and a Hot Pastrami on Rye.

(all at once. :wink: ).

I let Jsmeeker tell me where to eat in Vegas.

The best Chinese food is in the suburbs.  Chinatown hasn't really been Chinatown since the MCI center went in.

Small correction. Chinatown hasn't been Chinatown since the HOOTERS went in, not to mention Fuddruckers.

There's a Fuddruckers there? Egad.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

The best Chinese food is in the suburbs.  Chinatown hasn't really been Chinatown since the MCI center went in.

Small correction. Chinatown hasn't been Chinatown since the HOOTERS went in, not to mention Fuddruckers.

There's a Fuddruckers there? Egad.

There was an amusing story in the Post when the Hooters was opening in Chinatown. Wanting to "fit in" the neighborhood, management wanted a traditional Chinese greeting on the window. As I recall, the motto in Chinese mentioned something about ducks with large breasts. I think it was up for a week for all the residents of Chinatown to chuckle about before the Hooters guys got wise and changed it.

Mark

All the places in Chinatown -- Hooters, Fuddruckers, that tapas chain, Radio Shack, Starbucks, even the MCI center, have Chinese characters in their windows.

I let Jsmeeker tell me where to eat in Vegas.

Yeah, but look at it this way, you can't get decent Ethiopian in New York.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

sometimes I just wish I could have a big slice of Pizza, great chinese food that isn't General Whoever, and a Hot Pastrami on Rye.

Funny, I seem to recall quite a few places that serve all three iteams, particularly in the U St. area. Usually, Chinese restaurant that also sells pizza and subs, and maybe even fried chicken. I guess if you can't do a particular thing well, you can just do everything poorly! :blink:

morda

Are the three things that really suck in DC compared to other major cities.

Yes, Full Kee is good, but Chinatown in general is lame. Yes, I've been to Pizzaria Paradisio, but sometimes you just want an old fashioned NY slice. And Deli -- well, I've been to Krupin's and I've been to Stacks.

But I've also been to Second Avenue Deli in NYC, and they don't even come close.

But the questions is, why to these three types of food (Italian, Chinese, Jewish) suck so much? I think it's because that DC never get the immigrant waves of these groups 100 years ago when NYC (and other major cities) did.

Ethipoian, Salvadoran, Vietnamese, etc are great b/c we have those immigrants, but sometimes I just wish I could have a big slice of Pizza, great chinese food that isn't General Whoever, and a Hot Pastrami on Rye.

IMHO, the Italian Store in Arlington makes good NY pizza. :) I'm from nyc, btw.

Anyway...somethings are better in nyc....and some things (ethiopian, vietnamese, chilli) are better here. *shrug*

-Jason

It's actually a huge, secret plot.

See, they get you addicted to NYC pizza, pistrami, peking duck and then as you leave the city a secret shield zaps any ability to replicate what you just ate.

You forgot to inlcude bagels :smile:

And they don't have crabs :biggrin:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

several others have commented on the myriad riches that our fair city has to offer and i would second that, not out of defiance or competition but for the simple reason that people/places/things have strengths and weaknesses. tis a fact of life.

the "crab shacks" or ethiopian in new york? real mexican in dc? etc etc. university experience in northeast ohio has demonstrated that a: eastern europeans have awfully delicious food and b: damned if i ever find anything remotely resembling it in dc. (now baltimore...) ever tried soft shells in london? neither have i and frankly i wouldnt want to; not when there's grouse, sausage rolls, treacle tart, and those salf beef bagels on brick lane with olfactory-obliterating english mustard at an ungodly morning hour, etc etc.

i embrace the cornucopia and bounty of whereever i happen to be. sure i might really crave an authentic mole or biscay hake cheeks but can those places offer a proper doro wat or pupusa or rockfish or a mound of steaming crabs drenched in old bay? no and there's no reason why they should. i say c'est la vie.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

ever tried soft shells in london? neither have i and frankly i wouldnt want to; not when there's grouse, sausage rolls, treacle tart, and those salf beef bagels on brick lane with olfactory-obliterating english mustard at an ungodly morning hour, etc etc.

i embrace the cornucopia and bounty of whereever i happen to be.

Though one has to applaud the spunk and verve of this post, it will be a rough day in hell when I label grouse, sausage rolls, treacle tart and salf beef bagels as "corncopia and bounty!"

Still dessicated from that Manx kipper,

Rocks

• 2 weeks later...

Stacks has in fact closed.

From today's Tom Sietsema chat:

a public relations maven wants us to know that "a very incorrect rumor was flying around that because Stacks closed that Signatures would be next. WRONG! Signatures and (chef) Morou are alive and kickin' with that amazing cuisine serving signature items like the delicious Lamb Tandoori to the exclusive Tasting Dinner for Two then the ever divine sushi."

• 1 month later...
Bagels, ha! You can't get good chopped liver in DC. You can't even get BAD chopped liver in DC.

FYI, I had good chopped liver at Kuna--chopped liver on crostini, thickly spread. Not enough onions in it to rival my grandma's, but still good stuff.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Yes, I've been to Pizzaria Paradisio, but sometimes you just want an old fashioned NY slice. 

I've stumbled across the best NY slice in the area -- Tony's New York Pizza in Fairfax, VA. I know you were probably hoping for something actually in DC, but Tony's is worth the drive if you're hankering for the real thing. If I can't eat there, I just get my slice or pie unheated and warm it up in the oven when I get home -- it's spectacular!

Pizza=Vace or Regina's (off Allentown Rd in Maryland)

Deli=Booeymonger's (good pastrami, good Reuben)

Chinese Food=China Star (Fairfax City, VA)

DC has it all, you just have be adventurous, patient, and find it. It makes you work harder to find the good stuff... but once you do, it's worth it!

Pizza=Vace or Regina's (off Allentown Rd in Maryland)

Deli=Booeymonger's (good pastrami, good Reuben)

Chinese Food=China Star (Fairfax City, VA)

DC has it all, you just have be adventurous, patient, and find it. It makes you work harder to find the good stuff... but once you do, it's worth it!

I second that -- Regina's has THE BEST pizza around!! :wink:

"look real nice...............wrapped up twice"

Bagels, ha! You can't get good chopped liver in DC. You can't even get BAD chopped liver in DC.

FYI, I had good chopped liver at Kuna--chopped liver on crostini, thickly spread. Not enough onions in it to rival my grandma's, but still good stuff.

It's not DC and you have to cross into Monkey County, but believe it or not, Giant has some pretty good Chopped Liver! (Not all stores have it, and whenever I've had a hankering lately it's been sold out) :sad:

DC has it's positives. Ethiopian, Afghan, Indian, etc. You won't find better in other cities in my opinion.

One thing I have been unable to find...A good Philly Cheesesteak.

Good NY style pizza is hard to find around here. I instead go to places like 2 Amys (a lot!), but when I have a hankerin' for NY style, I am at a loss in this area.

A good Jewish deli is rare. Krupins is ok, but doesn't compare to just about any corner deli in NYC.