• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sripraphai

ahr

Thanks, Dean! This reminds me that I'd do anything to score a copy of the picture menu.

The last pic is beef panaeng. It's a ubiquitous dish, but done so well at Sripraphai. When they get it right -- when it's spicy enough, and therefore not overly sweet -- it is one of my favorites dishes.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

• 4 weeks later...

Another night of getting lost in Queens. Why can't they put up some street signs? What's up with that? The detailed directions from Mapquest were quite helpful. They inform that the Queensboro Bridge on-ramp becomes the Queensboro Bridge and then that the Queensboro Bridge becomes the Queensboro Bridge. Getting off the bridge, there is a sign for Queens Blvd, but apparently no way to get on it without first getting on Queens Plaza. Then, having gotten onto Queens Blvd., there is no sign announcing the veer left onto Roosevelt Blvd. Returning home, there is a sign for the upper level of the bridge, sending you down a rather non-descript road. There appears to have been a turn-off off that road to the bridge, which isn't marked as such. What a pain in the ass. (For various reasons, the subway was not an option.)

However. Sri was, of course, terrific.

The new room is a shame. It's a little more upscale without much style. It loses the 1950's linoleum kitchen look.

But the food was still great, and I ordered way more than necessary for three people. We had:

Tom Kha Gai (absolutely amazing)

Shrimp wrapped in wonton (good, but nothing special)

Green papaya salad (crisp, fresh and spicy)

Fried softshell crab (the only poor dish -- the batter was much too floury)

Soy sauce noodles with chicken

Penang beef (is there a better curry? i don't think so)

Fried snapper with basil and garlic (I thought the fish was over done, but it tasted great)

tofu with chili and peppers

Me Krab (what is this stuff anyway? it's like deep fried bits of noodles and bits in a tangy, kind of sweet something. Very good.)

$86 for everything (before tip), plus $7 for a six-pack.

Edited by Stone (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Stone I hear ya with the directions.. An hour into my trip (comming from manhattan) I decided to pull over and ask for directions. The man politely told me he wasnt from America, but we are in Brooklyn.. Feeling rejected and upset I finally made it back to queens blvd heading back to manhattan when I stopped at a light and was surprised to see Roosevelt.. I made the right and in 5 minutes I was at Sripraphai.. Had the Catfish Salad, the Drunken Noodles, the Green Curry Duck, the fried Mussel and sprout, and the coconut rice.. It was all awesome, the catfish salad was amazing.. Now I need to cut an hour of the trip and I will be going to this place weekly. :biggrin: The kitchen closes at 9:15 and the restaurant closes at 10.

Edited by Daniel (log)

. . . Now I need to cut an hour of the trip and I will be going to this place weekly.  :biggrin:  . . .

Went back there last night and it was closed?  Is it not opened on wednesdays

You weren't kidding when you said weekly!

Must have just missed you on Monday. I was there with six other people and the check was about $100. Can't beat that. Food was great, as usual, but with the rennovation, the room has lost its charm.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

. . . Now I need to cut an hour of the trip and I will be going to this place weekly.   :biggrin:  . . .

Went back there last night and it was closed?  Is it not opened on wednesdays

You weren't kidding when you said weekly!

Must have just missed you on Monday. I was there with six other people and the check was about $100. Can't beat that. Food was great, as usual, but with the rennovation, the room has lost its charm.

Hmm got there around 845.. I remember a group sitting by the window..

That was us. Too bad we missed you! I must add that I thoroughly enjoyed Sripraphai. We had a wide assortment of dishes all of which were excellent. While I enjoy Thai food very much, I must admit I have very limited expertise to discuss the nuances of it. Nevertheless, as good as it is, two stars is stretching it.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I was their with my girlfriend.. I was the guy who had to go and get money from the machine down the street because they dont take credit cards.. Hehe..

My question is why do you think two stars is stretching it.. The decor sucks, the service not great.. I.E. When ordering a diet coke I had to open my girlfriends can for her. But the food is such a clear stand out from every other thai restaurant I have gone to, (+16) that it deserves recognition..

I didn't say that it doesn't deserve recognition. It most certainly deserves a lot of it. Before I visited I thought I would reserve judgement. If one figures no stars for decor or service then if those were upgraded to star quality level, the restaurant would be considered 4 stars. It is very good, but is the restaurant potentially 4 stars good? Not in my opinion. I don't think that takes anything away from the restaurant. It is outstanding for what it is and a fabulous value to boot.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I didn't say that it doesn't deserve recognition. It most certainly deserves a lot of it. Before I visited I thought I would reserve judgement. If one figures no stars for decor or service then if those were upgraded to star quality level, the restaurant would be considered 4 stars. It is very good, but is the restaurant potentially 4 stars good? Not in my opinion. I don't think that takes anything away from the restaurant. It is outstanding for what it is and a fabulous value to boot.

No way four stars good, agreed. I dont see the rating as clear cut though.. Because, for example, the Mc Donalds that has white glove service down on wall street with a doorman, i wouldnt give it a star for service.. I do think the food is amazing at sripraphai and deserves 2 stars, but cant give a rational answer why :unsure: .. I just feel it. So you are right.. 2 stars might be stretching it.. But i agree with it.. I am glad i cleared that up for.. (For myself) :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)

• 2 months later...

I haven't had a stellar meal at Sripraphai since the renovation. I've been six times. My theory is that since Sri had to hire new waiters to deal with the increase in covers resulting from the renovation, my requests for Thai spicy from these new waiters were not taken seriously. From my jungle curry to my catfish salad, all of the supposed-to-be spicy dishes lacked their usual vibrancy. Plus, my orders haven't been filled correctly at least half of the times I've been since the renovation.

Has anyone noticed something similar?

(Edited for spelling)

Edited by jogoode (log)

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

I haven't had a stellar meal at Sripraphai since the rennovation. I've been six times. My theory is that since Sri had to hire new waiters to deal with the increase in covers resulting from the rennovation, my requests for Thai spicy from these new waiters were not taken seriously. From my jungle curry to my catfish salad, all of the supposed-to-be spicy dishes lacked vibrancy.[...]

Wow, that's rather dispiriting! Do you suppose there's a Thai restaurant better for non-Asian connoiseurs of Thai food in New York than Sripraphai now?

I haven't been to Sripraphai in a few years, I guess, and before the renovation, in any case, so I can't comment specifically.

Michael aka "Pan"

I just went this weekend, it is only my second time going. This meal was actually better overall, than my first meal there (which was pre-renovation.) But, I got totally different food items, so it's hard to really compare.

Following some recs on here, i got pork larb, the choo-chee? curry on tilapia which was excellent. We also got chicken with red curry which i thought was ok. The last time we had the beef with red curry which I thought was a little better.

Following some recs on here,  i got pork larb, the choo-chee? curry on tilapia which was excellent.  We also got chicken with red curry which i thought was ok.  The last time we had the beef with red curry which I thought was a little better.

Glad you had a good meal, though I'm surprised you weren't impressed by the red curry. I've found it too be their most consistent dish. I usually have it with either chicken or pork. Next time I go, I'll make sure it's an off-time, so I'll have more control over which waiter or waitress I have.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

• 3 weeks later...
Following some recs on here,  i got pork larb, the choo-chee? curry on tilapia which was excellent.  We also got chicken with red curry which i thought was ok.  The last time we had the beef with red curry which I thought was a little better.

Glad you had a good meal, though I'm surprised you weren't impressed by the red curry. I've found it too be their most consistent dish. I usually have it with either chicken or pork. Next time I go, I'll make sure it's an off-time, so I'll have more control over which waiter or waitress I have.

Much better meal tonight at Sripraphai. Everything was good and spicy--and balanced. I could tell immediately that my waiter would be loyal to my request for Thai spicy, because he giggled a little when I pleaded with him. Nothing new, though, as I was bringing a first-timer: fried catfish salad, beef larb with dried chilis and lime, panang with beef, and red curry with pork (I've decided I prefer it with chicken, though jungle is better with pork). I brought home soy sauce noodles for my girlfriend and stewed duck soup with rice noodles for myself.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

I finally got what I (thought I) wanted--and I couldn't take it. We went tonight and I decided to order a curry I hadn't had before, so I opted for the 'southern curry' with prawns. There was no description of what a southern curry is on the menu, so I asked the waiter. He asserted only that it is a 'very spicy' curry. I've eaten here many times and 'very spicy' can mean many things, and it certainly doesn't always mean very spicy. After ordering the other usuals, e.g., fried watercress salad (in my opinion one of their best dishes), I went through my standard set of pleas for preparing the dishes very spicy. The waiter didn't hesitate, no arched eyebrows, no secret assessment of worthiness, so I thought I would get what I asked for (the one male waiter with glasses seems more open to giving you spice than most of the females are). It turns out I didn't really want what I asked for. After nibbling on the watercress salad (unfortunately, a touch too much batter this time), we got the southern curry and I ladled the sauce over my coconut rice and ate a couple of the prawns. Within a couple of minutes I was suffering. My lips swelled, my mouth caught fire, my stomach burned, and sweat rained down from every pore on my head. And something happened that has never happened in my life: I stopped eating a dish because I simply couldn't take the degree of spice. I'm no chilihead, you won't see me snacking on habaneros, but I've eaten my fair share of Sichuan, Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Laotian, etc., and never had an incident like tonight. Not only could I not finish the curry, I had to stop eating altogether for about 10 minutes. I drank so much water in the interim that by the time my delirium subsided, I didn't even feel hungry. That part was a bummer.

From what I could tell, a southern curry is basically a heap of fresh cut chilis thrown on top of a paste (made, I suppose, out of white peppercorns, red bird chilis, shallots, and perhaps galangal) thinned out by chili oil (no coconut milk). I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I had only about a 45 second window before my tastebuds were obliterated.

I brought the curry specimen home just so I could pick through it tomorrow. I wonder if some lab could test a curry for scofield units.

Incidentally, they still do not have their liquor license, although I overheard the waiter state that they were expecting it in a month or so.

The place was absolutely bustling tonight. I like the remodel, except for the tv's. I hope they will still be seating people in the back outdoor area when the temperature rises. It's very pleasant back there.

Good story banquo.

I've been to Sripraprai four or five times in the last month. Reecently managed to much down a very small red chili thinking it was a sliver of a bigger less atomic one. Came up for air three brown bag beers later with an interesting new power. We had jungle curry and green curry last and for me these were quite literally no sweat. The earlier chili blast had resent the bar for me.

It needn't be added but I feel I must join in the clamoring. This is an outstanding restaurant. In-fucking-credible. I'd eat there four nights a week if my GI would allow it.

Also, we asked the waitress where they do most of their shopping and she directed us to a grocery right near the elmhurst stop of the. . . don't remember what train it was. I was on wheels but it was on Broadway in Elmhurst between 75th and 85th. Very vast grocery. Worth a visit. It featured, no joking, cow pizzle and head off duckling.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

My lips swelled, my mouth caught fire, my stomach burned, and sweat rained down from every pore on my head.  And something happened that has never happened in my life:  I stopped eating a dish because I simply couldn't take the degree of spice.  ... 

From what I could tell, a southern curry is basically a heap of fresh cut chilis thrown on top of a paste (made, I suppose, out of white peppercorns, red bird chilis, shallots, and perhaps galangal) thinned out by chili oil (no coconut milk).  I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I had only about a 45 second window before my tastebuds were obliterated. 

This southern-style curry is absolutely the hottest thing I've eaten there, and could be the hottest thing I've ever eaten. In retrospect, I enjoyed--kind of--experiencing something so spicy, but, yeah, it can ruin the rest of your meal. Banquo, am I remembering correctly: Is it a dry curry? Is it biege in color? I do remember that it's the only dish I know of at Sripraphai that includes makreua puang (pea "eggplants").

Great tip about the grocery, Ned. There's also a Thai grocer a short walk west from Sri on 39th Ave. Pretty basic stuff, but the few herbs and vegetables they sell are of high quality.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Yes, your memory serves you right: the Southern curry is a dry curry and yes it is beige in color with an orange/red fringe (from the oil). I don't know whether the addition of stock or coconut cream would have made it much less spicy, but for my taste it needed somthing else for balance. I've learned now that pure heat is not for me. It wasn't, however, served with pea eggplants, but rather those golf ball sized green tiger-striped eggplants. I suspect they just got a fresh shipment of those eggplants in because I was seeing them everywhere. Our fried catfish and chile sauce dish had them and the curries of the people around us had them as well.

I had a new special there on Friday night that was excellent. Green Chicken Curry

with Fried Bread on the side...down on the bottom of the specials menu. Tasty

stuff.

"Your girlfriend is a vegetarian, tell her she should eat rabbit...they're vegetarians too" Ali

My lips swelled, my mouth caught fire, my stomach burned, and sweat rained down from every pore on my head.  And something happened that has never happened in my life:  I stopped eating a dish because I simply couldn't take the degree of spice.  ... 

From what I could tell, a southern curry is basically a heap of fresh cut chilis thrown on top of a paste (made, I suppose, out of white peppercorns, red bird chilis, shallots, and perhaps galangal) thinned out by chili oil (no coconut milk).  I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I had only about a 45 second window before my tastebuds were obliterated. 

This southern-style curry is absolutely the hottest thing I've eaten there, and could be the hottest thing I've ever eaten. In retrospect, I enjoyed--kind of--experiencing something so spicy, but, yeah, it can ruin the rest of your meal. Banquo, am I remembering correctly: Is it a dry curry? Is it biege in color? I do remember that it's the only dish I know of at Sripraphai that includes makreua puang (pea "eggplants").

Great tip about the grocery, Ned. There's also a Thai grocer a short walk west from Sri on 39th Ave. Pretty basic stuff, but the few herbs and vegetables they sell are of high quality.

Agreed about the southern style curry... It was really hot! I had a soup tonight i have never gotten there.. it might have been the best thai soup i have ever eaten. It was the tom zab or zap.. The beef ofal soup.. It tasted like a beef tom yum, complete with tripe, tendons, and other parts.. It was excellent, has anyone else had this?

I had a soup tonight i have never gotten there.. it might have been the best thai soup i have ever eaten. It was the tom zab or zap.. The beef ofal soup.. It tasted like a beef tom yum, complete with tripe, tendons, and other parts.. It was excellent, has anyone else had this?

Tom Zap -- I've had it a couple times and you're right it's just great. The waiter actually reccomended it and he wasn't wrong.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith