• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: bleudauvergne

Inulin... inulin... something familiar about that - wish I could remember what.

Insulin.

Diabetics :biggrin:

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Inulin and insulin are nothing to do with each other (one's a carb and one's a protein, in fact), but both are useful in managing diabetes, as topinambours are sometimes recommended as a potato substitute for diabetics.

The inulin in Stoneyfield yogurt is supposed to promote calcium absorption (there is reasonable evidence for this), and is considered a probiotic: we can't metabolize it, but commensal gut critters can. I don't know for sure, but it may well be the sort of commensal gut critters that one has that leads to the, um, explosive consequences suffered by some. It also counts as soluble fiber, drawing water into the gut and promoting, well, you know. So considered a good thing.

Neither I nor anybody in my family has a problem with any inulin-containing foods.

The inulin connection with kidney disease has to do with a test for kidney function: inulin is injected in the patient's bloodstream and then the rate at which it appears in the urine is measured. It's called glomerular filtration rate, and the lower it is the worse the kidney disease.

Can you pee in the ocean?

This is dlc's better half posting for the first time. I am an avid reader of food articles and i have never read anything quite so interesting as this blog. I am now addicted to egullet. As a very visual person, i would like to say that your pictures are terrific and i love your accessories...your Provencal plates are to die for. Thank you for your creativity and insight into the world of good food. (As the principle cook at my house, it is also nice to know that someone else in the world actually cooks dinner every night!)

Ive decided to go to a Lyonnais Bouchon this evening.  :smile:

don't gloat :sad:

Hokay, 'splain for us non-French speakers what a Lyonnais Bouchon is, s'vous plait. :blink:

Soba

A bouchon is a sort of informal restaurant that serves Lyonnais specialities that are often offal based. Good hearty food, great fun.

I'd like to conduct a little informal servey here:

* How many people have been leaping out of bed in the morning and running to their computers so that they can see how Lucy's day is going?

* How many people have made tartiflette this week?

* How many people have investigated the requirements for obtaining a work visa in France?

* Who wants to blog after this amazing week is over?

(and how many people felt a pang in their chest when they read the words "after this amazing week is over"?)

It will take a very confident soul to follow Lucy. She has done an amazing job.

Of course, she's in France. As she has reminded us over and over again. :raz::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

The inulin connection with kidney disease has to do with a test for kidney function: inulin is injected in the patient's bloodstream and then the rate at which it appears in the urine is measured. It's called glomerular filtration rate, and the lower it is the worse the kidney disease.

Yup, this is exactly why it was familiar - my father had to have several rounds of such tests last year. He's a kidney cancer survivor, but with only one kidney left (and a few other health conditions requiring caution of various kinds) he has to have it monitored extra-closely when anything else is going on, like surgery....

Ive decided to go to a Lyonnais Bouchon this evening.   :smile:

don't gloat :sad:

Hokay, 'splain for us non-French speakers what a Lyonnais Bouchon is, s'vous plait. :blink:

Soba

A bouchon is a sort of informal restaurant that serves Lyonnais specialities that are often offal based. Good hearty food, great fun.

I've always been kind of curious about the derivation, because the literal meaning of bouchon is cork - in the wine-bottle sense, that is. Makes you think....

This amazing week is not over, although I did not cook at home tonight. I enjoyed an evening of being served by my dear Mr. Pierre, who cherishes my husband and I. He is the proprietor of one of the last living Bouchons of Lyon.

Edited by bleudauvergne (log)

People associate Bouchons with offal. But that's really not the concept behind the Bouchon. A Bouchon is exactly what we would define in our culture as a diner, but the French manifestation of such a concept. Unfortunately, in this day and age, more caricatures exist than not. It’s a sad truth. People judge a bouchon on the size of their dish and the fat content. This is not reality in the true tradition of Lyon.

It will take a very confident soul to follow Lucy. She has done an amazing job.

Of course, she's in France. As she has reminded us over and over again. :raz::laugh:

We all might need a little blogging hiatus after this week's blog just to catch our collective breath, unless someone like ChefG or Bourdain picks up the gauntlet. :hmmm: But then, who would follow them? :sad: In the meantime, I know I will continue to follow this blog very closely and enjoy it very much :smile: Thanks, Lucy.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I did not walk to the tourist section of town for this meal. I took the bus across town. Chez Pierre is located in the 3rd Arrondissment, near the prefecture of the Rhone, not far from the quai. There is no foot traffic there. It's 1/2 mile from the nearest public transportation stop. In fact no restaurants on the same block. But for some reason, Chez Pierre always has most of his tables occupied. Why?

i5824.jpg Kir maison (he gave me this for free)

i5819.jpg Gratin de coquillages safrané à l’étuvé de poireau

i5820.jpg

i5826.jpg Pièce de bœuf au sabayon de poivre mignonnette (the sauce was divine)

i5828.jpg 1/4 Pot de Cotes du Rhone

i5823.jpg Chèvre frais au marc de bourgogne (macerated in marc - I order it every time)

i5822.jpg Poires aux vin (he says this macerated 48 hours and will give the recipe)

i5821.jpg Coffee

23 Euros tip and tax included

Edited by bleudauvergne (log)

C'est magnifique! That sauce loked incredibly silky. Comfort food. Yum.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I'd like to conduct a little informal servey here:

* How many people have been leaping out of bed in the morning and running to their computers so that they can see how Lucy's day is going?

* How many people have made tartiflette this week?

* How many people have investigated the requirements for obtaining a work visa in France?

(and how many people felt a pang in their chest when they read the words "after this amazing week is over"?)

*me

*intend to

*intend to

*not me

*ME! :sad: