• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: bleudauvergne

I do like them, especially on my plate:biggrin:

A well eaten rabbit (two actually) at St John:

i5260.jpg

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

I think I mentioned the olives. I've never made it this way (I'm travel more on the mustard route), but I've had it served to me in Italy. A simple rabbit roast, with olives. The small brown olives complimented the flavor of the meat beautifully.

My wife is beginning to get suspicious as to why my cooking has taken a sharp turn toward the french this week. I am braising duck legs with red wine and prunes as we speak, and I happened to notice a nice half wheel of roblochon at the store this afternoon, which is waiting with the cream and potatoes as I try to figure out where to pick up a piece of ham tomorrow that will do even a slight bit of justice to the tartiflette recipe.

Luckily, as long as I cook she won't complain too much : - )

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep

Hmm the olives sound just amazing. Do you know what kind of olives they were? How were they presented in the dish? Whole?

btw, on the process of browning the rabbit, browning the meat is the one step where shortcuts must not be taken. Heat up your fat, and then lower the heat. The way you would lower the heat to make crispy bacon. Because burning the surface of the rabbit is not browning the meat. This takes time. Don't hover. Come back from time to time and turn it. It won't take very long. A slow browned rabbit is much better than a burned rabbit.

Interesting your recipe for Isle Flotant comes from "The Gaslight Gourmet" TV show. The show is made in Canada, & I'm wondering if it's broadcast in your area, or if you got the recipe from the internet.

Really enjoying reading about your daily life in France, & viewing your photos!

Hmm the olives sound just amazing. Do you know what kind of olives they were? How were they presented in the dish? Whole?

They were served whole, and sort like a picholine olive. Small and brown and full of rabbit juices, so they must have been roasted for bit underneath the rabbit.

Interesting your recipe for Isle Flotant comes from "The Gaslight Gourmet" TV show. The show is made in Canada, & I'm wondering if it's broadcast in your area, or if you got the recipe from the internet.

Really enjoying reading about your daily life in France, & viewing your photos!

Hi Jayhay - I googled it. Actually I was really curious about this difference between Isle Flotant and Oeufs a la Neige, which I always thought was two names for the same thing. Then at the table today at lunch they say there's a difference. I register mild suprise at this, and that's Florence's cue to go through the whole dang recipe for Isle Flotant down to the bain marie, which she explained to me like I didn't know what a bain marie was. I just let her ramble. But Boy was adamant that she liked those oeufs a la neige better! I have had oeufs a la neige done at home by friends and isle flotant cafeteria style. So I can say I like oeufs a la neige better too. Time to turn da wabbit.

I just opened this food blog, and I have been doing myself and this site a disservice by not looking in on more of these. Beautiful. I think I'm a little more excited than I should be about this :blush:

As far as photos, I'm not using my ImageGullet account at all at the moment. I would be happy and proud to share some of my allotted bandwidth and storage with you. Provided that is allowed.

It's heartbreaking. My wife had surgery, and now the smell of food nauseates her. I'm forced to eat out every night, because she can't stand even the smell of a frozen pizza in the oven. I can eat at home if it is cold cereal, and I am in the computer room when I eat it.

And then I see this. I shouldn't have looked. Pure torture... :sad:

Please. Don't stop. I know it's not good for a man to sound desperate, but don't stop....

Edited becuz I cant freakin spelll

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Okay, here's my résumé for adoption:

Do you do custom jewelry?

My specialty is designing and producing one-of-a-kind pieces!

I'm actually considering a food-related line... I made a miniature sterling silver tagine for Paula Wolfert (when opened, one found seed pearls as couscous and larger, mishapen brown pearls that looked like bits of squab) and my original teacher, Cheryl Forberg has a brooch of a copper pot from which dangles a fish, a slotted spoon, and a fork on which is inscribed, "Allez Cuisine!"

I've also made a series of brooches from plaque du muselet, those tins found atop Champagne bottles.

Perhaps I should consider 14k gold carrots or sterling pea pods of something...

What would you like made, dear Lucy? Just ask...

Well, Fistfullaroux, you have come at just the right time.

i5761.jpg The rabbit is now brown.

I have added the head (there's no need to brown that, since it's main purpose is to stew and let it's juices out) Then added the cream & mustard, sort of deglazed the pan with the juices,

i5762.jpg and now have it covered and simmering. :smile:

edited - cooking for one - means I can talk to you!

Edited by bleudauvergne (log)

I am only going to share a few photos with you, because I have less that 25 photos left in my image gullet!  :shock: 

Is there any way that the eGullet powers that be can get her some more photo space?

give bleu more space!

give bleu more space!

:biggrin:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

bleu,

Your art background is evident in just the way you present your "mis en place". The photos belong in a coffee table book on food. The lighting is remarkable. Please use all of my ImageGullet bandwidth if it is allowed. I have sent this blog to my friends who live in Lyon and they said "I told you so. You should have come to visit us before now". Thanks for all of your hard work and allowing hundreds of us to live in Lyon through you.

Edited by dlc (log)

as I try to figure out where to pick up a piece of ham tomorrow that will do even a slight bit of justice to the tartiflette recipe.

Luckily, as long as I cook she won't complain too much : - )

Fred - Bacon does wonderfully. If you have a choice between regular old ham and bacon, use bacon.

i5772.jpgThe stairs down to our cave.

Most apartment dating before the 20th century have, in the deed, a wine cave attached to the property of their home. It is part of our property. In this cave, which has a dirt floor way down below the bowels of the city, and a vaulted stone ceiling, one should be capable of preserving the best of wines.

i5803.jpg

We are just beginning. We go every year, to the foire des vignerons independants, and stock up on a dozen or two bottles to save.

i5775.jpg

Okay, here's my résumé for adoption:

Do you do custom jewelry?

My specialty is designing and producing one-of-a-kind pieces!

I'm actually considering a food-related line... I made a miniature sterling silver tagine for Paula Wolfert (when opened, one found seed pearls as couscous and larger, mishapen brown pearls that looked like bits of squab) and my original teacher, Cheryl Forberg has a brooch of a copper pot from which dangles a fish, a slotted spoon, and a fork on which is inscribed, "Allez Cuisine!"

I've also made a series of brooches from plaque du muselet, those tins found atop Champagne bottles.

Perhaps I should consider 14k gold carrots or sterling pea pods of something...

What would you like made, dear Lucy? Just ask...

You both sound like wonderful women with interests (obsessions?) that are right up my alley. I love this New York-based jewelry designer Michael Michaud and if you haven't seen his work, you should look him up! If you google him, you will find a number of galleries selling his work online (plus amazon!) but here is one link to get you started. His basic style is cast bronze/silver/gold (casts taken from natural items) with pearls or gems to represent fruit/flowers. I recently saw his new collection at a little shop in New Hope, PA and it is all little fruits & vegetables! I don't see it online anywhere yet, but it's quite amazing.

Ah, the cave! I was waiting with baited breath. (I guess that's where Carolyn will be staying?)

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

I agree with dlc...you have a good eye for composition and food styling (oh, the radishes!). The tea bag in the tea cup photo was wonderful, too, stark and yet warm at the same time. Even the off-kilter pear photo was intriguing.

Have you given thought to food styling or photographing food? You seem to have a knack for it.

I also agree with some of the other posters...you should update this blog monthly. I would love to see how the markets (and your meals) change with the seasons.

And I'd be happy to donate my photo account on eGullet to you, as well. I already have a PictureTrail account so I won't be using any image space here.

More pictures from Lucy!!!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

(I guess that's where Carolyn will be staying?)

It really depends on what Carolyn will be producing. It's up to her, really. If she wants to rest in the cave, we could set her up a place. But my instinct tells me she needs exposure to sunlight. I will not interfere with her ambitions. I have eaten my small share of the rabbit, put the rest with the mushrooms into cool storage, stained yet another one of my skirts with a drop of fat, and now I must go to bed.

You know when you are integrated in eGullet when your mouse is greasy and your camera has rabbit blood smeared on it.

You know when you are integrated in eGullet when your mouse is greasy and your camera has rabbit blood smeared on it.

Ummmmm.... At this point, I'd like to remind newcomers to this thread to go to the beginning and work their way back. Otherwise, it may seem a bit... odd.

:blink:

Screw it. It's a Butterball.