• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: bleudauvergne

Two things: I love the lighting. In fact, if you extended it by hanging either a pheasant (plumage on) or rabbit, or a pig's head, for that matter, I may very well go over the deep end.

Secondly, if Joel Robuchon can win his audience by mashed potatoes and green salad, then certainly, a humble bowl of your "just soup" may provide worthy testament!

In fact, I am semi-ripping you off as we speak. Lunch will be a root vegetable soup, topped with leftover duck confit; salmon with a horseradish crust and avocado vinaigrette, and a just-finished pain de campagne.

Cheers,

Paul

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

...Lunch will be a root vegetable soup, topped with leftover duck confit; salmon with a horseradish crust and avocado vinaigrette, and a just-finished pain de campagne.

BTW, that's really wonderful, Paul. Greatest compliment a gal can get. :wub:

edited to say - I guess we're real geeks, huh.

Edited by bleudauvergne (log)

The aperatifs and food look so inviting. May I ask what the drinks are? ?Lillet?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

That looks like a wonderful bread shop! I've gained some new slashing ideas from your pictures. I love the way all the ingredients are listed on the cards in front of the breads, including water and salt! Is there some sort of requirement that such details be listed in French bakeshops?

And those brioche loaves look fantastic.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

About the lighting for the vegetables, I wasn't happy with it either.

I love the lighting.

Light is something that is often overlooked by people when they think about different places but it is oh-so-important. In some prefatory comments to a small assortment of my haiku, I had an editor once bring notice to the presence of "light" in my work. He said he thought it was because I was Canadian (but I thought it was because I'm prone to migraines ... :wacko: )

Seriously though, the lighting in different regions is terribly important. It really struck me when I went to the desert earlier this spring. The light there was so brash. I thought California's Central Valley light was "in your face" but Arizona has it beat hands down.

I'm sure this could be related to food somehow ... maybe a tie in with growing seasons, climate, and local produce. Yeah, that's it.

More great pictures!

Is that root vegetable with a rumpled skin on the upper right corner of the picture of whole vegetables a turnip (navet)?

Michael aka "Pan"

More great pictures!

Is that root vegetable with a rumpled skin on the upper right corner of the picture of whole vegetables a turnip (navet)?

I think that's celeriac (celery root).

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

On with dinner.

I love the crust named brick in France. Filo, phyllo, that kind of dough. It comes in sheets here. Easy, pliable, friendly. Tonight I was thinking about cooking things that don't need long cooking times. In particular, scallops. Coquilles St. Jacques. I heard a report on the radio about the disciples of St Jacques today. I had a few in the freezer, so at lunch time, I took them out and thawed them, by putting them in a little bowl with cream.

i5529.jpg

So tonight, first I cut my filo into triangles, with scissors. I got out my ramekins and pushed two triangles into each one, to make a kind of Queen Anne's collar.

i5589.jpg

i5591.jpg Inside, a wreath of dill.

i5590.jpg Slice your scallops.

i5592.jpg Place inside over the dill.

i5593.jpg Put minced roasted peppers over the scallops, top with a drizzle of evoo, and season.

i5594.jpg

Bake at 400F/200C for 10-15 minutes, depending on your oven. When it's browned on the edges, add a litle wedge of lemon inside, lift out of the ramekin, and put on the plate.

i5603.jpg

Voila.

Where do the scallops come from? And more importantly, how much were they? When I can find them here (scallops are not harvested in the Gulf of Mexico very often, although they do exist-something to do with warm water I think) they are as high as a cat's back and often I think that they are skate that has been cut out in rounds, rather than scallops.

That is one nice looking dish you concocted though. Just beautiful.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Our main dish as usual salad with crudites, which we like to eat with a sampling of all of the herbs in the week's bouquets. Eggs ans Lardons are a typical Lyonnaise combination, the salad Lyonnais is this salad, but with poached eggs instead of boiled eggs.

i5599.jpg

i5612.jpg

i5598.jpg

i5602.jpg

Followed by the cheese plate:

i5610.jpg

and chocolate.

i5611.jpg

Good night - see you in the morning!

:smile:

I love the lighting.

Light is something that is often overlooked by people when they think about different places but it is oh-so-important. ...

I'm sure this could be related to food somehow ... maybe a tie in with growing seasons, climate, and local produce. Yeah, that's it.

Jensen, have you ever been to Provence? That's a place with some serious lighting. If you're into that kind of thing, I suggest you add it to your pilgammage list (good food to accompany the light) :biggrin:

Just to be clear, Lucy, I think the lighting is great.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Where do the scallops come from? And more importantly, how much were they? When I can find them here (scallops are not harvested in the Gulf of Mexico very often, although they do exist-something to do with warm water I think) they are as high as a cat's back and often I think that they are skate that has been cut out in rounds, rather than scallops.

That is one nice looking dish you concocted though. Just beautiful.

Brooks, I am going to have to check the orgin of the scallops. I've had them frozen since December. But I can still ask. I will do that this week.

The aperatifs and food look so inviting.  May I ask what the drinks are?  ?Lillet?

It's chilled vin de noix! Very good with a cheese called bleu d'auvergne. :wub:

Is this something that you serve mixed or straight? Of what "noix" does it taste? I am intrigued.

Do you ever shop at hypermarchés? Or are they mostly for people who live outside of the city? We stayed outside of Lyon and would drive in each day passing a few large ones, we would stop in and always get snacks for the road.

Thank you again for all the pictures, including all of the steps that go into the final dish. :smile:

Edited by Larry (log)

The aperatifs and food look so inviting.  May I ask what the drinks are?  ?Lillet?

It's chilled vin de noix! Very good with a cheese called bleu d'auvergne. :wub:

Is this something that you serve mixed or straight? Of what "noix" does it taste? I am intrigued.

Do you ever shop at hypermarchés? Or are they mostly for people who live outside of the city? We stayed outside of Lyon and would drive in each day passing a few large ones, we would stop in and always get snacks for the road.

Thank you again for all the pictures, including those all the steps that go into the final dish. :smile:

Larry - We barely ever go. If we do, it's for cleaning supplies and stuff. I avoid the food rayons in these types of stores. But it's a choice we have made. :smile:

Noix is walnuts.

It's noted that you like the steps, I'll keep including them, then!

-Lucy

Jensen, have you ever been to Provence? That's a place with some serious lighting. If you're into that kind of thing, I suggest you add it to your pilgrammage list (good food to accompany the light) :biggrin:

I haven't been to Provence. I'm hoping to get to Europe again next year, although my primary interest is in going to Germany again. Maybe next time I go, I'll travel around a bit more ...

Oh, I second the vote for the continued steps in the photos.

Ditto on the steps.

As far as the scallops, is that a dish/recipe that you've made before or was it an inspiration of the evening? Was the dish as good as it looked, because if it was, I just might like to borrow that recipe, if you don't mind :biggrin:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz