• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ledbury

So to dinner on Wednesday night. And a first date. Recommended the Ledbury by a number of people and the lady in question is Australian, so it seemed an appropriate choice of venue. After a trip to Selfridges for a glass of champagne to ease my nerves, I set off to Notting Hill.

First impressions were good. I loved the neighbourhood and the restaurant has a very pleasant atmosphere. We were greeted straight away by Sarah, the Maitre'd and we had a glass of the house champagne. A rather fine growers champagne that I haven't tried before. Very good indeed. Canapes arrived, which were foie gras with a broad bean puree and a carrot macaron filled with goats cheese. Both excellent.

We opted for the tasting menu (a shock of course to anyone who knows me).

Salad of Spring vegetables with a warm pheasant egg, walnut oil

A rather delightful and very colourful salad which summed up the best of spring vegetables on a plate. Individually cooked so that each retained the desired character. Asparagus, broad beans, mange tout, carrot, radish and kolrhabi. A rather fabulous start. Bread came with this and I opted for the bacon and onion brioche. The lady chose sourdough. All the bread prepared on site. Both good. The brioche not in the class of le Champignon Sauvage, but I've never encountered one that is.

Cerviche of hand dived scallops with seaweed, herb oil, kohlrabi and frozen horseradish

An incredibly delicate dish. The natural sweetness of the scallops were retained The seaweed was as a powder of nori. The frozen horseradish was a sorbet of sorts and was as mystifying on the palate as the mustard ice cream at the Fat Duck

Flame grilled mackerel with cucumber, Celtic mustard and shizo

A definite Japanese influence on the dish. The mackerel came two ways. A flame grilled fillet and a tatare of mackerel wrapped in a thin sheet of cucumber. Accompanied by a lightly-vinegared slice of cucumber. The fish was wonderful, but cucumber is just about the only thing I don't like and this didn't change my mind.

"Risotto" of squid with pine nuts, sherry and cauliflower

The dish of the night and was, in my opinion, in 3* territory. The play on risotto was using finely chopped squid as the rice element. Combined with a veloute of cauliflower, it looked and was texturally like a risotto. The cauliflower didn't overpower the squid flavour. A rich sherry reduction was around the outside of the risotto which lifted the dish beautifully. There was also an espuma of something on the plate, but I must confess that I can't remember what it was. Despite that, I was blown away by this dish.

Celeriac baked in ash with hazelnuts and a Kromeski of wild boar

Some theatre from the kitchen. The ash baked celeriac was brought to the table encased in pastry. It was split in front of us, allowing the smoky smell to permeate the room. This was then taken back to the kitchen for plating. The celeriac was the star of this dish. The boar kromeski was a small patty of the boar meat encased in breadcrumbs and fried. It was very rich and worked well with the celeriac. The hazelnuts were on an incredibly strong black truffle mayonnaise, which were at risk of overpowering the dish. All in all, good, if not superb.

Roast monkfish with padron peppers, oxtail and rosemary

Two pieces of monkfish tail, cooked to absolute perfection, were combined with a very rich and effective oxtail jus, The sauce also contained small pieces of ox tongue. Brett had served this dish with a puree of padron peppers. I love these as part of a tapas, fried in olive oil with sea salt. However, when pureed, they were intensely bitter and I avoided the rest of it. The fish though was beautiful. Well matched with a rather fine burgundy recommended by the somellier.

The Ledbury Kebab

More kitchen theatre. A smoke filled glass cloche was brought to the table. Inside lay two small kebabs on liquorice root. A kebab of the highest calibre. A piece of cured pigeon, a cube of seared foie gras, the pigeon heart and crisped wing meat all came skewered. Utterly fabulous both in terms of presentation and in flavour.

Loin of lamb with glazed aubergine and wild garlic

Perfectly pink loin of lamb was served with a miso glazed aubergine, wild garlic and wild garlic puree. This was simple but perfectly executed. The meat was unbelievably tender. I thought it had been sous-viede'd, but I was assured that it was seared and finished in the oven. Given how short the wild garlic season is, I'm happy to eat it as often as possible. Truly loved this dish.

Pre-dessert of olive oil panna cotta, apple and vanilla doughnut

A cute little pre-dessert. A shot glass containing the olive oil panna cotta had a thin layer of apple puree on top, served with a tiny vanilla flavoured doughnut.

Caramelised banana galette with salted caramel and peanut ice cream

Not the sort of dessert I would have ordered, and if I had the choice, I would have changed it. But never mind, as it was still very good. Beautiful base to the galette with crisped, caramelised banana slices. The salted caramel ice cream had tiny pieces of peanut through it. This was beautiful

Chocolate cremeux with walnut ice cream and warm chocolate madelines

We were both on the point of exploding by this point, but still ploughed on through this. A tasting plate of chocolate would be more accurate. The madelines were light and perfect and this rounded off a bloody good meal. Followed with a coffee and good petit fours including a hibiscus marshmallow, white chocolate macaron and blood orange jelly.

We spent a good half hour or so chatting with Brett after dinner and he showed us around the tiny kitchen. I found the whole experience excellent and feel that the Ledbury fits in perfectly with its 2* status. It's more relaxed than it's sister restaurant The Square and Sarah ran the front of house perfectly. They insist that they want to remain informal and this comes across very well. I will definitely return.

Adam

Edited by ajnicholls (log)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Lunch at The Ledbury.

So after a rather busy Thursday, a few hours kip and a mooch about Borough market we set off for Notting Hill.

I have only eaten twice at The Ledbury, both times at lunch.

It is probably my favourite place to eat.

I like the food. The service is relaxed, professional, but pitched above all on enjoyment.

This time we chose to mix the daily lunch menu with the alc.

We ate

Potato crisp, powdered vinegar and taramasalata type thing

Good breads, I have had better but nice none the less

Celeriac in ash, wood sorrel, hazelnuts and kromeski of wild boar

"Risotto” of squid, pine nuts, sherry and cauliflower

Hereford snails, mouseline of herbs, pickled carrots, cepe marmalade and oxtail juices (one order, plated seperatly, to share)

Breaded lemon sole, creamed potato, broccoli and brown shrimps

Best end and shoulder of lamb, aubergine glazed with black sugar and garlic

We shared a generous cheese plate with fruit bread, grapes and crackers then a fine creme caramel with apricots and jasmine

We shared most plates

I think this is one of the most enjoyable and affordable places to eat in the UK. Obviously you can eat for much less, or more, should you choose, but for me this represents very good value. The food is top quality and prices more than fair given the quality of craft and quantity of food. The most expensive main was £26. The wine list is also reasonable. We will be getting the tasting menu with wine next time.

After lunch we spent a couple of happy hours watching the world go by outside Negozio Classica on Portobello Road. It seems a nice place, helpful staff and a good location. They have some very nice Italian wines at shelf prices plus £8.50 corkage and one of those wine dispensing devices that means they can serve fine wines by the glass. Not a bad afternoon all things considered.

Edited by MaLO (log)

Martin

• 3 months later...

Who can say that this restaurant isn't good or isn't interesting, but...

Has anybody had experience of excessive saltiness at the Ledbury? Because, for all the technical fireworks and impressive creations, heavy seasoning in some dishes (notably a skate) will remain more vivid in the memory.

Unfortunatey I also found a small piece of plastic in my amuse bouche which, apart from demonstrating that the kitchen was not on fire (or maybe it was, which would explain the distractions) on that particular night, disturbed me less (shit happens) than the seasoning.

Other question marks. The celeriac in ash is fun and theatrical and smells good, yes, but a bit of accompanying boar, so little and enclosed in a fried 'croquette' seemed pointless. And, closing your eyes and focussing on flavour, have you never experienced a celeriac preparation with better and more intense flavour?

The dessert of olive oil pannacotta (plus accessories), served in a rather uncomfortably deep glass, I found rather inexplicable, especially in a tasting menu.

There were also highlights. The best dish was a scallop tartare with frozen horseradish, incredibly fresh, delicate and beguiling, and the famous flamed mackerel, which deserves its success, in my opinion: a stunning dish. In general, amazing and extensive plays on textures, cooking styles, temperatures. And the service is sweet, truly professional and attentive but 'easy'.

A strange evening, will have to return, as I had the feeling we didn't experience the best of this place.

Edited by Man (log)

• 8 months later...

A long leisurely Sunday lunch at The Ledbury was excellent.

We ate from the Sunday lunch menu, £40 for three courses.

We ate

Amuse of foie gras with gooseberry

Foie gras, gooseberry.jpg

Starters

Crisp chicken confit, risotto of new potato wild mushroom and summer truffle

Crisp Chicken Confit with a Risotto of New Potatoes, Wild Mushrooms and Summer Truffle.jpg

Cheviche of scallops with seaweed and herb oil, kohlrabi and frozen horseradish

Scallop cheviche, frozen horseradish.jpg

We got a mid course of Hampshire buffalo milk curd with a broth of grilled onions and Saint-Nectaire truffle toast

Hampshire Buffalo Milk Curd with Saint-Nectaire, Truffle Toast and a Broth of Grilled Onions (2).jpg

Hampshire Buffalo Milk Curd with Saint-Nectaire, Truffle Toast and a Broth of Grilled Onions.jpg

Mains

Short rib of beef cooked for eight hours with celeriac in ash, pickled walnuts and bone marrow

Short rib of beef, celariac in ash, pickled walnuts and bone marrow.jpg

Loin and shoulder of lamb with green tomato juice and aubergine glazed with black sugar and garlic

Loin and shoulder of lamb, green tomato juice, aubergine glazed with black sugar and garlic.jpg

We shared a selection of cheese

Cheese selection.jpg

Cheese.jpg

Pre dessert was whipped ewes milk with strawberries

Strwaberry, ewes milk.jpg

One of the desserts we ordered had run out so the kitchen sent a selection of desserts for us

Pavé of chocolate with milk purée and lovage ice cream

Pavé of Chocolate with Milk Purée and Lovage Ice Cream.jpg

Brown sugar tart with gooseberries and stem ginger ice cream

Brown Sugar Tart with Gooseberries and Stem Ginger Ice Cream.jpg

Caramelised banana galette with salted caramel, passion fruit and peanut oil parfait

Caramelised Banana Galette with Salted Caramel, Passion Fruit and Peanut Oil Parfait.jpg

Trio of desserts.jpg

We ended with a double espresso and petits fours

Petits fours.jpg

This was a very fine meal. We arrived at about quarter past one and left around half four. We got a table on the terrace. Service was excellent and the food was equally good. Few places are this good.

Martin

Sunday lunch at the Ledbury is a Sunday well spent indeed! Extremely sad it is no longer my local but great to see the recent pics!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

WOW , those desserts look superb, how good does that banana tart look ? Now im very excited.I`ll be there on the 18th August and probably going for their tasting menu...the countdown has started....report with pics to follow.

CumbriafoodieCumbriafoodie

Looks like this is going to be a busy thread for a couple of weeks. We are going late next week. It most certainly looks worth the wait, as it took me two months to get the table.

Although those dishes look fantastic I'm hoping we may be served a few different things just to add to the visual delight by posting the photos up on here.

Its clear from the photos that this is just not any old boring "sunday lunch" type meal.Far from it in fact.

Very generous of the kitchen to send out a selection of desserts. Fingers crossed they run out of one that we order. :laugh:

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

What a class act the Ledbury is. Been visiting from day one and its always a real treat. Brett Graham is not only a fantastic chef but a very generous spirit and it really shows. I don't think his food has ever been about being photo pretty, its the serious content.

We have been treated to some great meals here over the years and without sounding too tossey, have become decent mates along the way. Had the best birthday ever there last year. Won't harp on about it but it was special. I still reckon we looking at a future three star chef, just so long as he stays healthy. The bloke worked himself into the ground and ended up suffering fairly badly as a result. He says he learnt and only works about eighty odd hours a week now!!

Hope you all have a great time, wish I was going too!

What a class act the Ledbury is. Been visiting from day one and its always a real treat. Brett Graham is not only a fantastic chef but a very generous spirit and it really shows.

Good point that, there always seems to be extras, which considering how reasonably priced the restaurant already is!

I'm already thinking about going back after looking at those pics and it's only been a few months :shock:

This sort of service deserves recognition with a third star!

London riots: kitchen staff at Notting Hill restaurant The Ledbury protect diners with rolling pins

Chefs and waiters leapt to the defence of members of the public enjoying an evening at The Ledbury, an upmarket restaurant in Notting Hill, London.

Thugs and rioters armed with bats and wearing hooded tops forced their way into the two star restaurant before demanding diners hand over their wallets and wedding rings.

But staff and others fought back with kitchen tools before leading customers into the wine cellar for protection.

Absolutely brilliant stuff.

Sous vide the looters, I say.

Sous vide them ??? Kind words cheekymunkey....My thoughts are a tad stronger than that.I`ll be there next thursday for my tastimg menu "whatever the weather"....I`ll go down fighting with the kitchen brigade, no hiding in wine cellars when it comes to handing rings , phones and wallets over to that pile of shit.

That is really scary. We are down this weekend and my wife wants to cancel the trip because of the riots. If I show her this there is no way she will go.

I am hoping things get back to normal soon. Fingers crossed. This sort of thing does not exactly aid digestion does it. May give them a ring to make sure things are ok, and ask if they will have any security in force.

@d_goodfellow1

David

Frankly, I'd be with Mrs G. Looking at the news, the problem is you don't know where these scrotes are going to turn over next. Wherever you were thinking of going, it'll still be there in a couple of weeks. Perhaps pick somewhere else for your weekend.

Me - I'm off to Abergavenny tomorrow for a couple of days. If it kicks off there, then we're all doomed.

John

John Hartley

David

Frankly, I'd be with Mrs G. Looking at the news, the problem is you don't know where these scrotes are going to turn over next. Wherever you were thinking of going, it'll still be there in a couple of weeks. Perhaps pick somewhere else for your weekend.

Me - I'm off to Abergavenny tomorrow for a couple of days. If it kicks off there, then we're all doomed.

John

Where are you Planning on going Harters? i used to work in Monmouthshire. regards Paul.

Thanks for the advice folks.

John. As always I respect your opinion. I shall decide tomorrow.

Sarah. Thanks for the update. You are correct. Why should business suffer any more than it already has. It beggars belief just as to how much the riots have cost the economy.

Its looking a lot more positive now. Fingers crossed thats the end of it all.

@d_goodfellow1

IMG_0951.JPG

Well, all was peaceful in Notting Hill yesterday. The sun was shining and the beautiful people were out in force. Everyone seemed happy in their world, and so were we.

IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

I was amazed when to think back, that we had only dined the once here, and that was a good two to three years ago. From memory the meal was one of the best that we have eaten so its even more surprising. I was really looking forward to find out what exciting things would arrive on the plate, especially as everyone and his brother raves about it.

We settled in to a good table ready for the marathon that followed. We had,

Amuse of Foie Gras tartlet with gooseberry puree and gingerbread crumb

IMG_0915.JPG

First up proper was Salad of Heritage tomatoes with goats cheese, dried olives and herbs. This course opened my eyes to just what is out there from a properly sourced ingredient. Even though commercial tomatoes, especially English are at their peak, the heritage varieties really do have a greater depth of flavour. The "cigar" in the dish is filled with goats cheese topped off with black olive crumbs.

IMG_0918.JPG

Bread was a choice of three, brioche of bacon and onion, sourdough, and malt.

IMG_0917.JPG

Hand picked Crab with Wakame oil. Thinly sliced Courgette and frozen parmesan

IMG_0919.JPG

Hiding under the sliced courgette was a mound of flaked crab.

IMG_0920.JPG

We are rather partial to frogs legs and the next course was interesting to us. Frog Leg beignets with a puree of Jersey Royals, Girolles and a veloute of herbs. Just peeking out from under the nasturtium leaves are the baby girolles and some cocoa beans, virtually floating in the herb veloute

IMG_0921.JPG

Having eaten Turbot at Hedone recently I was looking forward to doing a comparison. Normally its not always possible to make a comparison in such a short time frame.

Roast Turbot with radishes, Smoked eel, Buckwheat and Nasturtium

IMG_0923.JPG

Our version here had been roasted whilst the previous one had been poached. Both were good, but perhaps its me, but Turbot does not exite me as much as chefs rave about it. Having said that, this was a very enjoyable dish indeed.

My wife would have stamped her little feet if the pigeon dish had not been on this menu, (it was on the a la carte)

Roasted breast and Confit legs of Pigeon with red leaves and vegetables, Foie Gras and cherries.

IMG_0926.JPG

This vision in red to me is a thing of beauty. It was served in two parts with the liquorice root skewered tip of the wing and heart of the pigeon, and the crispy legs, plated separately.

IMG_0929.JPG

We thought this to be a stunning dish. Everything was in perfect harmony. The pigeon was special, bang full of flavour, wonderful textures, not too sweet, a wonderfully balanced dish. The crispy legs moreish to the point of knawing on the bone. We were in foodie heaven.

Feather Blade of Devon Ruby Beef cooked for eight hours with celeriac baked in ash, pickled walnuts, and bone marrow.

IMG_0933.JPG

The pigeon dish was a hard act to follow, but the beef was no slouch. We like feather blade, big on flavour, meltingly tender if long slow cooked, as it was here. The celeriac is an interesting flavour. All in all a very good eat.

Pre dessert is like having another dish really as portion size is generous.

IMG_0936.JPG

We skipped cheese, we would not have been able to eat the desserts. A selection as follows.

IMG_0937.JPG

Elderflower Panna Cotta with Poached Peaches, hibiscus granita, and olive oil.

IMG_0938.JPG

Pave of Chocolate with milk puree and lovage ice cream.

IMG_0944.JPG

Brown sugar tart with Muscat grapes and Stem ginger Ice cream.

IMG_0943.JPG

Swiss Roll topped with a peach sorbet.

IMG_0940.JPG

We did not fancy tea or coffee but we were still served the petit four which were served in a cute little tin box.

IMG_0948.JPG

Well, what can I say, the pictures tell the story really. This is one marathon that we both thoroughly enjoyed competing in.

We have been extremely fortunate to dine at some fantastic restaurants this year and this is easily in our top three for ambiance and food. To say this is a class act is a bit of an understatement, it really is top of the tree. Service is as good as you will get anywhere. Special mention to restaurant manager Stephen Quinn and staff who not only cherish regular local customers but embrace new customers with the same duty of care.

We spoke to the next table, an elderly couple who lived local, "about ten minutes away" who dine here once a week. They love the place, and although they have dined at some pretty serious restaurants, this is by far their favourite.

I am extremely jealous of course. To have a place like this on my doorstep would be a dream come true.

Not many restaurants that we dine at warrant a speedy return, indeed quite a lot we never return too. This place is an exception to that, indeed I am already trying to pencil in a speedy return. Problem is this table took two months to secure, such is the popularity.

I may just have to call in a favour :wink:

@d_goodfellow1

WOW , food looks amazing, i cant wait until Thursday ive already started the countdown.Cant decide what to eat so ill probably go for the tasting menu with wine flight.Do you always get that assortment of desserts ? My fave part of the meal.

So my 4 day trip to London kicks off with Ledbury , followed by the tasting at Marcus wareing and tasting at Galvin @windows.Saturday evening still left spare for a last minute "walk in" .....possibly Hestons "Dinner".

Camera battery was charged up last night....Raring to go.

Pics from my last London trip are all up on my blog now with reports.

Cheers.

Alan,

It seems to me that they like to spoil you with desserts. MaLo above had a very generous selection. Mention to your server that you have a sweet tooth :wink:

You may be lucky, especially if you like game, the first of the season's grouse will be on the menu. The table of regulars next to us were served the first one. I was a bit envious, truth be told, but the pigeon was superb and there is always next time.

Your in for a real treat.

@d_goodfellow1

David.... i was lucky , the chicken with red leaves was replaced by Grouse with red leaves....Ohhhhhh dear , it was one of those memorable moments and down as one of my top 3 main courses of all time.I got my number one best main the following night off Mr James Knappett@Marcus wareing.

All in all the Ledbury was a very delightful experience , Four stand out dishes , Heirloom tomatoes / The truffle toasts / The grouse / and the brown sugar tart....Amazing.

Ill post my pics up on here in the next week or so once i get through them all.