• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Least compatible couples

Zingano

Anyway, I know some of y'all dearly love your non-food compatible partners and spouses. I'm just glad it isn't me in that position. I mean, if there was such a wide rift in food likes, dislikes and passions between us, they might as well be of an entirely incompatible sexual orientation to me! :laugh:

Worst couple I know: Chinese friend and her American boyfriend, former eats just about everything and the latter is incredibly annoying to be around because he always whines about needing beef. It was so tedious the first (and thankfully last!) time we all went to dim sum together, every other phrase out of his mouth was something like "That's not beef", "I need beef", "I gotta have beef", etc. Sheesh. Thankfully, she no longer brings him along whenever we go out for food other than middle American.

I probably wouldn't have found it all that bad if he wasn't so rude about it. Ah, visions of shoving a fistful of gai lan down his throat with a handful of "phoenix claws" to chase it... just to shut him up, as I was well past the point of caring if he expanded his food horizons or not.

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon (log)

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Yes, he will eat beef but the hours of the crematorium make it difficult for us to prepare a meal.

Have been enjoying this thread as I jumpstart my day- this line really made me laugh :biggrin:

"A good dinner is of great importance to good talk. One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf

My wife is one of those "vegetarians" who eats fish. This past week I saw this called a "pescatarian" (sp?) on a menu.

But we're extremely easy to cook for. Given that I will eat anything, and she will eat anything that doesn't flagrantly contain beef/chicken/pork/duck/etc, just fix seafood and/or vegetable dishes. She's very polite, and knows that especially in fine dining situations she's probably eating more veal stock than she'd like to know about, so typically we'll eat what we're served.

Frankly I think when people dictate super strict food rules ("no salt, no vegetables, chicken only" or whatnot) they are being very, very ungracious guests. Unless they have an allergy or medical condition, of course. Half of my wife's side of the family is seriously diabetic, so I can sympathize there.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

My current favorite is a considerable drive from home (forty minutes).  It is a Dominican restaurant where my favorites are plantains stuffed with beef brisket or stewed goat accompanied by black beans and rice.

If you are that impressed, a fellow Atlantan would love to hear the details of this restaurant in the Southeastern Forum of eG .... :biggrin:

I thought I had already told everyone possible, but if I missed anyone - Mi Pilon on Buford Hwy @ Mitchell Rd just north of Jimmy Carter Blvd in metro Atlanta is a superb Dominican restaurant.l They serve beef, pork, chicken, goat, rice, yuca, homemade lemonade and more. More than one version of several of the above dishes. Hours are something like 11:30am-9:00pm seven days a week - I think. Check to be certain. The language of choice in Mi Pilon is Spanish, but the sister's who own the place speak excellent English, if you need for them to do so.

Brother and SIL (Caterers!) who will only eat two legged animals.

I am guessing it's just me, but what does this leave--orangutan and ostrich????

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep

It is a Dominican restaurant

Ok, I need to get away from my worklife more! All I could picture here was a bunch of nuns cooking and serving and cashing out their restaurant patrons. Took me a minute to realize there are other Dominicans who might have a restaurant.

:laugh:

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

A good friend of mine used to date this nutcase who claimed she was vegetarian, too, but ate plenty of chicken/beef broth-containing dishes and crab legs by the pound.

<snip>

God I hate "vegetarians" like this. They give real vegetarians a bad name. And of course, they're the loudest.

Here's my story:

I used to be a vegetarian for abunch of years, until a year ago. I still love interesting veggies. My SO eats tons of beef and dislikes veggies except fries, corn, tomatoes, and cucumbers. I like trying different cuisines and I love anything that has some spice to it, but I don't consider myself a chili freak. He can't eat spicy food. I favor a variety of Asian and Indian restaurants. He likes to eat Pasta-Roni at home. I'm lactose intolerance, so I pretty much know all about the soy/rice/almond/etc alternatives to milk. He drinks milk by the gallon.

The good thing is, he's willing to go wherever I take him. Together we've had some very good meals, esp when he can't eat something I really like! I'm very happy to report that despite his unbelievable intolerance of the slightest hint of heat, he likes Korean food.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I'm very happy to report that despite his unbelievable intolerance of the slightest hint of heat, he likes Korean food.

How does this work? :blink:

If it was a texture thing, I'd understand that because there are certain things I really dislike unless prepared in a particular fashion (ex: bell peppers in any form except when diced in tabouleh). But spicy is spicy and heat on the tongue no matter what the cuisine, even though in my experience things like kimchee aren't as hot as they look.

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon (log)

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

He can eat very mild kimchi, like dongchimi or baek kimchi. And he can eat grilled beef, chicken, lots of the fried stuff, various veggie dishes, fish. There's lots of good things to eat.

But he can't eat soft tofu, most of our favorite kimchis, and some soups, bibimbap (because of the red pepper paste), and okay a lot of other stuff.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW