• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe Winberie

Kear

I find myself going to be in the area of Ridgewood tomorrow, and not being a normal stomping ground for myself, I'd appreciate some help. After doing a little reseach at the J Ardore site I found Cafe Winberie, it appears do be a casual place with an interesting menu, but is it any good? We're just looking for someplace to stop for an early lite dinner. Any suggestions are cheerfully accepted. Many Thanks.

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!

My wife and I like Joel's Malibu Kitchen in Ridgewood. Funky laid back BYO, interesting if a tad ornate presentations. We always enjoy ourselves there. There are a number of threads here re Joel's.

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

I second the vote for Joel's!! Skip Winberie, it's just another Bennigan's-type chain restaurant; Joel's is creative, unique, and the food is terrific!

Joel's Malibu Kitchen

14 Oak Street

Ridgewood

201-493-9477

You have to remember that the listings on the J Ardore site are advertisements.

Some suggestions besides Winberie:

28 Oak Street 28 Oak St.-new owner--haven't been

Blue Moon Restaurant 23 Chestnut St.

Istanbul 23 N Broad St,

It’s Greek to Me E. Ridgewood Ave

Joel’s Malibu Kitchen 14 Oak St.

Marra’s

Village Green 36 Prospect St.--My favorite but it's a fixed price dinner.

Wasabi 848 E Ridgewood Ave

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

There used to be an Afghan restaurant in Ridgewood. I don't recall the name, the the food was wonderful--a family-run affair, mom's-home cooking kind of place. Is it still there? It was right next to a place called White Russian (or something like that) This was before the Soviet Union fell, and the owners of the Afghan restaurant were more than peeved when people came into their restaurant and asked if there was a way to get to the Russian restaurant through their place...I kid you not, people really did that.

Naw, sadly, the Afghan place went out of business. At least a year ago, possibly more, I dunno exactly when. Rosie probably does.

That place got us up to Ridgewood at least half a dozen times. LOVED their food, & the whole ambiance.

They had a spinach dish I had to order every time we went, couldn't get enough of it.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

i've never been to winberie's, but it always looked a little too much like a diner to me. and they aren't BYO, which is a big strike against them in my book.

also, i think they're somewhat of a chain. (there's one in summit?!?!?)

mrs. tommy tells me it's OK for lunch, but looking at the menu, i can't see myself going there for dinner, especially given the (few, but better) choices around.

i look forward to any kind of report, as a positive review might change my mind.

Edited by tommy (log)