• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Food Festivals?

RaineS

I want a Foie Gras Festival, damnit!

Sonoma folks? Hudson Valley? C'mon - step up to plate and let the PETA people be damned!

There could be hand-stuffing contest, a funnel-stuffing contest, a "who's raised the biggest liver" contest, and the inevitable Frozen-Foie Gras-sicle-Deep Fried-on-a-Stick stand!

I am so there....

• 9 months later...

The Oyster Olympics at Anthony's Home Port in Seattle are a must go for any oyster lover in the area!

Great oysters and it raises money to keep Puget Sound clean as well.

How can you not have a good time with 600 people, 30,000 oysters and enough beer and wine for an army? :biggrin:

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

OH MY GOD!!!! The Gilroy Garlic Festival is the bestest festival EVER!!!!

The festival started in 1979 and I've been going to the GGF every year (well, except four with good reasons) since 1981. I try to never miss this event and ever since moving to San Diego in 1985, I still make the annual trip up. Friday is the day to go with another couple of hours on Sunday morning before noon because the food is so good you gotta go again. There is also a cooking contest and have a quest chef do demonstrations, etc. There are three stages that have constant musical entertaniment from jazz to blues to oldies to funk to rock and all local talent. One time, The Flying Elvis's from Russia (I think) were there. Great. There are also plenty of arts and crafts to look at and buy too. Ever wanted to learn how to braid garlic? There's a class that teaches how. They also have garlic breading contests and garlic chopping contests.

The festival is set in Christmas Hill Park and is all grass so there's no dust. The parking area's are dirt but there are water trucks going around all day to keep the dust from being a problem. There are huge air conditioned buses that take you from the parking areas to the gate and back at the end of the day so there's not much walking involved to or from your car. As one person said, it puts Disney organization to shame. Very organized. It can get hot so dress for warm weather, bring your sunscreen and wear a hat. The gates open at 10:00 but I suggest getting there around 9:15 - 9:30 as it takes a little time to get to the gates. Sometmies they let you in early too.

I mostly eat the food in Gourmet Alley...peppersteak sandwiches, sauteed calimari, shrimp scampi, garlic bread, pasta con pesto but I also eat the other vendors' food too. The Hawaiian BBQ is excellent, the Watsonville Band Boosters have great deep fried artichoke hearts, mushrooms and zuchinni. I also always get the huge frozen apricots on a stick dipped in chocolate. And of course, there's the garlic ice cream...yum.

This year the fest is on July 29-31. There was a link to the official website in a previous post.

I can tell you without reservation that you should make a trip to Gilroy if you love garlic and love festivals. This one will kick your butt.

Also honorable mention goes to the Morgan Hill Mushroom Mardi Gras. Much smaller in scale but good none-the-less.

Cheers,

Bob

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

One of the best food festivals I've been to is Hillsborough Hog Days in Hillsborough, N.C. (a little north of Chapel Hill).

There is a big Carolina BBQ cook off competition and lots of other good food. It's been awhile since I've been there but I remember some crawdad stands. Hillsborough is a quaint little town as well.

edited to add: Last year it was on June 18/19th.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Another good one is ( and I am being a shameless self-promoter here) is Cornucopia. It is held in Whistler, B.C., Canada.

It is held in November and it featured 80 different wineries and the best restaurants in Whistler also do wine makers dinners.

There are various wine and food seminars held during the 3 day festival and because it is the slow season there also cheap hotel packages as well.

You can check it out on www.mywhistler.com and you can check it out also at www.bearfootbistro.com

I teach a seminar at Cornucopia called "Oysters 101-Take a stab at higher learning."

This coming year the restaurant I work at is featuring a winemakers dinner with four decades of Dom Perigion.

Thanks and sorry for the obvious plug.

Oyster Guy :biggrin:

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark