• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap Eats LA

Stupid_American

...cheap-as-heck japanese place in Los Feliz.  Problem is, I have no idea what it's called.  There's no sign.  But it is VERY popular and I'm sure someone here can help me out.  It's on Vermont, right between Skylight Books and the Los Feliz 3 movie theater.

Well, let's see here...

-- Skylight Books is at 1818 Vermont, 90027

-- Hop on over to the Dept. of Health website and enter "vermont" and "90027"

-- Scroll down the list, and find:

MAKO RESTAURANT

1820 N VERMONT AVE

LOS ANGELES, CA 90027

http://tinyurl.com/2p6u6

-- Which happens to be next door to:

LOS FELIZ THEATRE

1822 N VERMONT AVE

LOS ANGELES, CA 90027

You, too, can be a restaurant sleuth.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Someday, between bahn mi and pho, I believe Vietnamese will catch up to Thai for trendiness.

Half my inlaws are from Vietnam, and I spend too much time in Little Saigon.

I going avoid Vietnamese on my site.

Anyhow, I think vietnamese in OC generally surpasses what you can get in L.A. Just my opinion.

Speaking of which, Che Cali just opened a place on Brookhurst, off I think McFadden? I know it's near Margo, because that one place that used to be Green Papaya has yet again changed hands. Che Cali has a deal on Banh Mi, 3 for $3 on those big crusty rolls, not the baguettes.

I like them more than Lee's Sandwiches, because the bread is softer, though I still like Lee's.

--there's a chinese place in Santa Monica, J.R. Seafood, near the pier, where you used to be able to get dinner for half off if you ordered during the hours of 5-6 I think, their version of happy hour. I actually liked the food there, this is really strange, considering the location.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

It's on Vermont, right between Skylight Books and the Los Feliz 3 movie theater.

Across the street from these establishments I had a very decent home-style pork chop dinner at a place I want to call the Hollywood Diner -- someone will correct me if I'm wrong about the name.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com