• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap Eats LA

Stupid_American

I'm doing a website of some of the LA area's eateries and sights.

My concentration is basically from the East LA Interchange to Rodeo Drive, Dodger Stadium to I-10.

It's really aimed at the budget traveler more than the local diner.

I'm going for the places that may really don't show up in most guidebooks.

These are all places I've tried and survived!

I've just started.

I have more pages awaiting photos.

I'm always up for ideas for more spots.

If I've tried it, I'll do a photo and post it.

If not, I'll try to check it out.

Sorry about the gratuitous "babe" shot!

Cheap Eats 'n Stuff

For Bangkok eats, check out my Cheap Eats Bangkok

Thanks

Finally took a photo and uploaded Clifton's.

Angeli is a bit steep.

I'm passing on most of the "tourist strip" places.

Skooby's is smack dab in the middle of the Hollywierd strip.

Although it's a bit outside the territory, I'll try to look into Hungry Fox.

I’m not much of a cheap eats expert, but here are some ideas:

Pho Café on Sunset is cheap and good, and also has a great hip vibe and design. BYOB, Sunset and Silver Lake in a strip mall on the north side of the street.

Phoenix Inn on Ord in Chinatown is really good Chinese food, funky old room with lino floors and flourecent lights. Lots of exotic stuff on the menu. BYOB. Cheap.

How about the great taquerias? I am sure you can get better advice from more expert diners, but I like Burrito King, Costa Alegre on Sunset and Glendale (actually a nice environment), and I used to eat at Taco Boy in Bell all the time. It was delish, but that was about 4 years ago.

Empanadas Place on upper La Cienega has delicious empanadas.

The Apple Pan?

Versailles?

Also, Ruen Pair Thai, where we had an EG lunch, was inexpensive, good, and quite pleasant for the price.

Ummmm... have someone proof your site -- lots of misspelled words ("encluded" and "Olvera" street popped up immediately - there may be more, but I'm busy proofing eGCI classes).

Also, under Stuff, the Getty is pretty darn cheap ($5.00 bucks to park or something?) and most of the museums have free days that vary.

Pho Café on Sunset is cheap and good, and also has a great hip vibe and design. BYOB, Sunset and Silver Lake in a strip mall on the north side of the street.

Don't miss it. A great, great Vietnamese place -- every strip mall in America should have a restaurant this good.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

since your coordinates don't allow the san gabriel valley and since mixmaster b already got to emapanada's place and the apple pan (though technically those might be outside your map as well) i'll add the following:

alladin on vermont and first for bangladeshi

india sweet house on pico, between crescent heights and fairfax, for good rustic north-indian.

there's also millions of korean places in koreatown where you can eat very well for <$10. such as the open 24 hours hodori on vermont/olympic. not to mention the bcd soon tofu houses.

and for good budget sushi: menori on robertson, just north of pico. great combos for lunch and dinner.

Thanks for the heads up Carolyn.

Although I am the "Stupid_American", I can't believe I blew "included".

"Olvera"? You got me.

I'm winging the spelling and grammar; I have no software to check it.

I use no software to build the site either.

Everything is straight HTML.

Thai [is] far too trendy.

My wife is Thai, I live in Bangkok a couple months each year, yet I've been told I know squat about the cuisine.

With the exception of Thai Nakorn, Renu Nakorn and Wat Thai, I'm avoiding Thai joints.

But, there's a percieved rivalry between Renu and Thai Nakorn, and Wat Thai is somewhat unique.

I may pull Burrell's. [pulled]

BBQ suffers the same curse as Thai.

For sights, I'm really shooting for the more eclectic.

I'm going more for stuff like the Bodhi Tree [Carolyn, you'd love it!] and La Luz de Jesus.

I can spend hours at either, but I've never seen them in any guides.

I may toss in my "No Cost" Disneyland Tour, but it needs some text.

I don't know if I will have time to write anything for it.

Now I have to proof this site!

Thanks for suggestions.

I will try to check them out.

Before I add something, I need to experience it.

Because I live in Orange County, this might take some time.

Curt

Edited by Stupid_American (log)

Okay, real quick:

Weirdness -- "e" before "i" - not "wierdness"

Heavily - needs an "i" - you have it "heavly"

Olivera -- needs an "i" - Not OLVERA

Don't capitalize "downtown"

"Boulevard" is abbreviated "blvd." not "bl"

Last word on front page: "clubs." -- put the period on the inside of the quotation marks. (Actually same on all exclamation marks and punctuation marks on linking pages.)

On the Bodhi Tree link, "All things spiritual" - make your "thing" plural.

I didn't go to all the links though...

I consider the happy hour specials at Ocean Ave Seafood in Santa Monica a great cheap eats deal. You get 6 great oysters and a flight of wine for $8.95, plus other deals like a $2.50 cup of manila clam chower, etc. And happy hour isn't just during the week, but Saturday and Sundays as well.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Damn!

It's been a good 30 years since I got me some education.

I needed that!

Consulted my Strunk and White's and made some concessions.

But, since my Olvera Street is the one in my picture, I'll stick with Olvera.

My site is for entertainment and fun.

:wacko:

Edited by Stupid_American (log)

I third Pho cafe, and heartily second both Skooby's and Yuccas.

At Skooby's you get your hotdog and (the best) frenchfries (in the world) and sit at an outside counter right on Hollywood blvd. Far from being a tourist trap, I'd argue that it is a fun way to hang on Hollywood Blvd. without going into tacky sex shops. Pinks is much more of a touristy scene than chilled out Skooby's. Yucca's is a great suggestion. I always go on Saturdays right after watching Rick Bayless on PBS. Very satisfying! (I overheard once when listening to a plaintative vegetarian trying to place an order that they cook everything in pork fat -- no wonder the line is down the block!)

Portos on Brand in Glendale is a crazy experience -- great and cheap Cuban sandwiches and yummy pastries. Try the Inca Cola. The line goes faster than you'd think, especially since you can watch 1000's of entertaining families picking up their birthday cakes -- some of the cakes are so big they are decorated with half pineapples!

Yes, Pink's is touristy.

But, La Brea might get passed by, so I did it.

Hollywood Bl is one place after another.

I'm really avoiding most places, unless they are a bit off the shiny path.

Most people will do Hollywood Bl and encounter Skooby's.

Someday, between bahn mi and pho, I believe Vietnamese will catch up to Thai for trendiness.

Half my inlaws are from Vietnam, and I spend too much time in Little Saigon.

I going avoid Vietnamese on my site.

I will definitely try to hit Yuca's.

It looks like my kind of place.

Haven't got a chance to eat there yet.

Thanks,

Curt

I will definitely try to hit Yuca's.

It looks like my kind of place.

Haven't got a chance to eat there yet.

Thanks,

Curt

Carne asada tacos and tamales wrapped in banana leaves--Yuca is short for Yucatan. Hell, some folks even eat burgers there.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Portos on Brand in Glendale is a crazy experience -- great and cheap Cuban sandwiches and yummy pastries.

I can attest to this, and yes, the wait is enlivened by the people-watching. The problem was resisting the urge to grab the sammies from the hands of the folks who passed me on the way out.

Welcome, dear woncarway! Let's hear lots from you.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Yuca's is up.

Went there; done that; it was great!

Portos is a bit out of my focus area.

I have thrown in a few things around Disneyland.

Disneyland is often considered part of a visit to LA.

I posted Thai Nakorn, and because of a percieved rivalry, I included Renu Nakorn

My better half has decided to "upgrade" my site.

Stay tuned for the new, improved Cheap Eats Extravaganza!

Porto's in Glendale for sure...and it's right off the 134.

Whenever I have guests from out of town, I make sure to schedule a meal at this cheap-as-heck japanese place in Los Feliz. Problem is, I have no idea what it's called. There's no sign. But it is VERY popular and I'm sure someone here can help me out. It's on Vermont, right between Skylight Books and the Los Feliz 3 movie theater.

For under 5 bucks, get the Chicken Teriyaki & Tempura combo. They immediately bring you a salad and a bowl of miso soup. Before you've finished that, they've brought a sizzling hot plate of shrimp (1) and vegetable tempura. Then you get a plate of teriyaki chicken and a bowl of rice. It's a LOT of delicious food for less than 5 bucks!

If you go around dinner time, expect to wait for one of the (maybe) 12 places to sit in this tiny little place.

Philippe's is good, too. And cheap. And close to Olvera Street.

"He who distinguishes the true savour of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise."

Thoreau