• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Napa/Sonoma Bike Routes

cjsadler

Will be staying in Napa from May 13-16 and we'd like to spend at least one day doing some biking to various wineries. Does anyone have any suggestions on routes, bike rental places, and map books. Looking for a combination of a scenic ride with a cluster of good wineries that we can stop at. We'll have a car, so can get to Sonoma as well.

Chris Sadler

Will be staying in Napa from May 13-16 and we'd like to spend at least one day doing some biking to various wineries. Does anyone have any suggestions on routes, bike rental places, and map books. Looking for a combination of a scenic ride with a cluster of good wineries that we can stop at. We'll have a car, so can get to Sonoma as well.

When you arrive, you will find several tourist magazines around (they are at almost every winery, in every hotel, and at a lot of restaurants). They will be able to refer you to bike rental companies.

Working in both valleys, I would HEARTILY recommend you bike Sonoma. Most of the biking tourist firms operate out of there because the wineries are a bit closer together and are easier bike routes. While we often see bikers in and around Napa, they tend to be die-hard bicyclists who are bringing their own bikes and do a lot of competition biking. The Napa wineries are just plain too far apart to make it very enjoyable.

Sorry I can't recommend any particular service, but at GunBun, we tend to see several different tour guides bringing in bicyclists over any weekend.

Lastly, a word of warning (and I apologize for this, but it is the way of the industry)... Be prepared for the fact that you may not receive as good-a-reception from the tasting rooms as you would were you to drive in. They know that bikers rarely buy because of the limited amount that can be carried on a bike and because of the limited number of wineries that can be visited. Inasmuch, the standard John-Q-Tourist operates on an instant-gratification tendancy of buying immediately where they are when they know it can go in a car. We know that hot-and-sweaty bikers need to replenish their lost bodily fluids and show up needing to drink tons of water. The wine does not taste as good and we rarely bowl over a bicyclist with a taste of wine to the point where they want to come back and buy. Every now and then, a biker will like a wine enough to make a large purchase and drive back to pick it up, but that is rare. Consequently, even though we may have ten different bottles open to taste, we will limit the bikers to only three or four tastes. Sorry.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you have specific wineries you want to visit because you love their wine or even are anticipating loving their wine, don't bike there. Biking the wine country is a beautiful experience - it just isn't a great wine-enjoying experience for most...

Thanks, Carolyn-- this is very useful information. I guess we'll mainly bike Sonoma for fun (perhaps stopping off at a winery on a whim-- I figure I can carry a bottle or two with me) and save the winery touring for when we're driving.

Chris Sadler

CJ

I used to work in the shop and as a tour guide for Napa Valley Bike Tours.

http://www.napavalleybiketours.com/

They offer a full range of set tours, in Napa and Sonoma and will customize a tour for you if you give them time. They also rent some good equipment.

John is a great guy and will take good care of you. I highly recommend him.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

I'll add another warning -- two people have been killed & one paralyzed in the last week riding in Sonoma County. Two drunk drivers -- one at 11 AM. The roads are narrow and there are a lot of cars. I've ridden in Sonoma (Dry Creek Road etc.) and it is beautiful and fun, but I've gotta say, I'm not sure I'm so interested anymore.

Charley Martel