• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice Cream in Paris

Margaret Pilgrim

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

I will be in Paris during the holiday season and I wanted some recommendations for ice cream/glace. I didn't see a thread in this section for ice cream. Ideally, I'd like to try what people consider to be the best as far as ice cream shops are concerned. But if the best ice cream is in any particular restaurant I'd be up for going there. I've been visiting Paris on and off since I was a child and can never seem to remember eating ice cream, whereas in Rome I remember eating it every single day. I do consider myself experienced with ice cream since I made it frequently in culinary school and worked in a wholesale gelato supplier in NYC for several years. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Oh and I know there's a GROM in Paris, I'd rather skip on that place if it comes up because I didn't live too far from one in NYC.

Alex.

I cannot tell you that Berthillon Glacier is the Pierre Hermé (The best dessert chef in France, arguably on the planet) of Ice Cream, it may well be, I can tell you the group we went with all adored their choices. And Location, Location, Location.........

I'm sure you will get other suggestions and hopefully some will expound on Berthillon, in any event its not to be missed.

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Thanks for the replies. I've heard about Berthillon, but never met anyone thats been. Are people big on ice cream in Paris? NYC has a good ice cream environment even in winter. I use to be surprised the number of people that would come in 20 degree weather. I had once heard that Olivier Roellinger had an ice cream place. St. Malo or some place else I don't remember. Anybody hear about this place. I know they have good dairy in that area.

By all means go to Berthillon. We were in Paris last summer & went twice, well worth the wait, even though my favorite flavor (we used to live on the Ile St Louis a few doors away from Berthillon), fruit de la passion, wasn't available. They've also opened a sit-down tea-room type place next door to the main shop. Many other restaurants & shops on the Ile also sell Berthillon ice cream if the line is too long at the main store. Wish I had some Berthillon ice cream right now...

Someone should mention that perfect ice cream depends on the taste of the beholder. For instance, I have found that coffee flavor ranges all over the map from intense espresso to something akin to molasses.

So I'd ask, what flavors will you seek? Caramel au beurre sale is a darling as is bacon. Repost when you have set your goals. Also, consider if your are looking for soft or firm, with or without a topping. Paris will not disappoint but you would do well to have a plan.

eGullet member #80.

Berthillon was one of the food destinations I made a priority during a too-short trip to Paris, and it was absolutely worth it. Sadly, I only had one serving there--couldn't make it there twice, darn. Had the Caramel au beurre sale, and it was as good as any ice cream I've had anywhere, anytime, as good as the gelato at Vivoli in Florence.

Disclaimer: that was the only ice cream I had in Paris, but can't imagine they're all that good.

No, Berthillon is unmatched. Not for all flavors but clearly the best in Paris for some.

Nougat au miel is my all-time favorite. Mango, coconut and créole (rum raisin) are good too. Pistachio real good but has been known to fluctuate. Vanilla is, needless to say, a classic. It is almost dark from all the vanilla seeds.

Edited by Ptipois (log)

Talks for the replies.

I will definitely go to Berthillon when I am in Paris. I've made many ice cream flavors at this point in my life, but Vanilla is still something very important to me. It doesn't get much respect here in America, though its popular. I mean respect as in many of the places its not good enough, its either all extract or all bean and not enough of it. Ends up tasting like Cool Whip.

Does anyone know if they use a custard base (creme anglaise) for their ice cream? Thats not very easy to get here in NYC at least in an Ice Cream shop.

And yum Rum Raisin! I will have to pass by my old job to see if its out today.

I don't mean to be cranky, but my one experience with Berthillon was disappointing. Tried the families flavors and the general consensus was that we make better at home. Maybe it was an off week.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

• 2 months later...

I just got back from Christmas vacation. I tried Berthillon, but not Pozzetto. It was okay for me. Everything was very sweet and not only in my opinion. I would go back if I was in the area, which is not often lol. I tried another place on Rue du Bac but I forget the name. It was okay as well, not bad for a pit-stop. I also randomly found Grom in Paris. Its pretty much the same as in West Village here in NYC.

I did try quite a bit of places in Italy especially Florence and Bologna. The highlight of my whole trip was La Sorbetteria Castiglione in Bologna. It was a bit soft for my taste, but the taste was fantastic. If anyone manages to go to Bologna or even pass by it, the place is worth it. I nearly got drunk off the Cassata.

After hitting all the places I could before gaining too much weight I would say all are good in their own way. But from my critical eye, which I hope I have after making ice cream for several years now, I would say that some places in Italy bring ice cream to a level in relation to what I experienced at La Patisserie de Reves. Some places left me saying to myself, "This place is fucking serious."

Thanks for everyone's recommendations.

This die-hard Parisian may agree with you.

In Paris I never get excited about an ice cream run the way I do in Italy.

Isn't ice cream like sangria; you can only really appreciate it whilst on holiday. Grabbing a scoop from Le Bac à Glace whilst juggling the Bon Marche bags on a grey and soggy Saturday in February isn't quite the same as slowly licking one whilst perusing the lithe tanned bodies on the beach in July.