• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

More on Scotch in the Media

beans

Connoisseurs' Guide to California Wine monthly newsletter's Charles E. Olken's Alameda Times-Star article However you spell it, whisky gets as complex as wine.

YOU will have to forgive me for the rambling nature of this column, but I have lots of information to share with you.

It has taken me a very long time to warm up to Scotch, as it is called generically in this country. It has always struck me as smelling and tasting too much of medicine. But it turns out that there is a reason behind the madness of an expensive tipple that has the character of something you might put on an injured body part.

-and-

Nick Passmore's Forbes.com articleThe Best Single Malt Whiskies

We at Forbes.com decided to help out by conducting an exhaustive survey, the results of which are my highly personal, totally subjective list of the best single malt Scotch whiskies.

The competition was extremely fierce, and the final list is in fact a distillation--pun intended--from the larger selection of great scotches that I have come to appreciate over a couple of decades of tasting. Frankly, there are an awful lot of good malts out there, and picking a top ten was not easy. Now, while this is a great situation for a whisky aficionado, it does make the job of winnowing down the list difficult, and some awfully good drams had to be left out.

Where did your fav rate?

Happy reading.

Cheers!

beans,

interesting reading indeed. my favourites lagavulin or balvenie weren't even listed! bowmore, my introductory malt had the top rating though! I really love bowmore and have been fortunate to try some of the variations too.

however, forbes has been unfair in listing primarily the older vintages which are more often than not, out of reach. i am sure a more relevant listing was possible.

also, while we are at it, would you be able to list out the primary constituents of JW Black??

Have been having numerous debates on whether it is lagulin & cardhu or talisker?

Appreciate help

cheers

also, while we are at it, would you be able to list out the primary constituents of JW Black??

Have been having numerous debates on whether it is lagulin & cardhu or talisker?

Appreciate help

cheers

According to my Handbook of Whiskey, Cardhu is the official home to Johnny Walker, although it lists Talisker as being a major player in Johnny Walker as well!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

My favorite single malt, Laprhroaig, wasn't listed. Great article though. Hmmm....is 3:00 too early for a scotch??....

Obviously I was refering to the Forbes article, as I just read the Alameda times article and it of course does discuss Laprhroaig. Good info. Maybe it's not too early in the day for scotch after all....

Edited by tennesseespice (log)

Good food is like music you can taste, color you can smell

~Gusteau, Ratatouille

cardhu? I am surprised your handbook does not list lagavulin? i have been reading Michael Jackson's book on Malt Whisky and am looking for something comparably detailed on blends. any suggestions?

cardhu? I am surprised your handbook does not list lagavulin? i have been reading Michael Jackson's book on Malt Whisky and am looking for something comparably detailed on blends. any suggestions?

The handbook lists Laguvilin, it just doesn't list it in conjuction with Johnnie Walker Black. The one I've gotis Handbookof Whisky, by Dave Broom, A complete Guide to the World's Best Malts, Blends and Brands.

I doubt if it's any better than the one you have. There's another one around here somewhere, but I'll have to go digging for it later. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

thats the book i was referring to as well :smile:

so if you do have a better book, please do let me know... its fascinating to understand the constituents of a good blend and its information thats really tough to stumble upon.. was hoping to find something on one of the forums here

• 2 weeks later...
... its fascinating to understand the constituents of a good blend and its information thats really tough to stumble upon.. was hoping to find something on one of the forums here

Blends ? !! Who drinks blends :wink:

anil

... its fascinating to understand the constituents of a good blend and its information thats really tough to stumble upon.. was hoping to find something on one of the forums here

Scottish and Irish people! Single malts are for rich americans!! :raz:

:biggrin:

I love Johnny Walker Blue! Now that's a yummy blend! :raz: