• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2210GBP for Mouton Rothschild 2000

slacker

My email inbox is continually bombarded by stuff like this. I had Grange 97 at 85gbp a bottle the other day.

One problem is....when they're offered too cheaply, I think immediately 'What's wrong with it?'

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

2210GBP??? What is that in USD? Sorry for having to ask.

But, in general, regarding deals that appear too good to be true, I've always found it best to try one and then see about buying much more.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

The lowest retail price in the U.S. according to Wine Searcher is $349/bottle. There are some prices lower through online auction brokers. The average retail bottle prices is probably around $450.

But, for me, 1st growths left my budget after the 1989 vintage.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Hi Slacker,

Prices for these kinds of wines vary so much, especially depending on where you are and which store you shop. Plus stores, especially if they're really desperate, could also price these kinds of wines at or near cost or even below cost.

Having said that, the price you quote is definitely on the low side, thus quite attractive. I've seen most going prices these days at well over $400 a bottle (222P approx) whether here in the US or Europe. Of course, as I said above, some stores could be selling at signficantly less than $400 or significantly more. For example, in Paris, if I remember correctly I saw this at Hediard a few weeks ago at a ridiculous price of over 600 euros, while Lavinia a few blocks away, had it at less than 400 euros. Here in the US, between $400-$450 seems like the norm now, but as I said above there could be stores willing to go much lower.

I've had this wine at tastings and wine dinners about six times now in the past two years. My reaction, as well as the reaction of my fellow drinkers, have always been the same. It's a most delicious wine even in its youth.

Alex