• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All things Brighton beautiful....

Spring is sprung and thoughts turn once again to trips to the south coast. But it seems a couple of years since the last comprehensive Brighton round-up (under "Brighton Nosh").

Has the foodie scene changed since then ? What are your current recommendations ? Anywhere special or remarkable to eat out ?

Regards,

Gareth

I am indeed. Give me an hour or two and I'll post something. Things are beginning to look up in Brighton, but its still all too easy to have a mediocre meal and to pay a little too much for it, which has happened a couple of times to me recently. That said, when the sun is out, Brighton is the nicest place to be on the South East coast of England.

The 3 places worth considering for a more serious meal are Hotel du vin (bit pricey but good food and buzz), Sevendials, and Quentins (I posted on this recently). I was also impressed with the vegetarian Terre a terre if there is a veggie you want to impress.

There are lower end places that are good: The Eagle Pub and bakery is 'normal pub' food rather than gastropub poncyness (not a jus in sight), Sanctuary cafe serves (mostly) veggie food and Billies does the ultimate hangover breakfast.

I'm sure I have missed loads but these are my faves.