• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian desserts

Guest nimki

Does anyone like gul gule (i think they are called)? deep fried little dumplings made of flour, water and sugar.

tryska-the jangri seems to have a significant proportion of ground urad dal added to an otherwise similar fermented mix of flour and rice flour as for the jilebi.that would probably account for its solid structure(syrup soaked) as opposed to the (syrup filled)hollow jilebi.

Gulgule and KulKuls are not the same thing.

Gulgule is soft deep fried balls and kulkuls and long keeping crunchy little shapes made but rolling a bit of dough either on a fork or by folding small pieces of dough - if you're very patient I make these for Christmas and I'll post pics.

this sounds somewhat like the bengali goja (not the method of preparation, but the thing itself)--can someone who's had both verify or correct?

tryska-the jangri seems to have a significant proportion of ground urad dal added to an otherwise similar fermented mix of flour and rice flour as for the jilebi.that would probably account for its solid structure(syrup soaked) as opposed to the (syrup filled)hollow jilebi.

thank you gingerly. Have you tasted both? which do you prefer?

tasted both yes and without a doubt the jilebi is the outright winner.there's something unctuous about the jangri and it does seem to have the ability to absorb odours rather rapidly.that said,i'm always game to try again if it looks promising!