• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Washington DC Area Grocery Stores

The "Social Safeway" (in upper Georgetown/Burleith) is offering a coupon for a free Grande Starbucks beverage with every grocery order of more than $50.

Although the coupon language encourages you to use the coupon at the in-store Starbucks, the fine print states that one can use it at "participating" Starbucks. I tried my luck at the Glover Park Starbucks today and the coupon was accepted.

Signed,

If it's free, it's for me, in DC

One good grocer, IMHO, is Schneiders in Silver Spring. Yum!

K

Snider's is my every day grocery store. Their deli pickles rock (as does their deli counter in general). For a small place, they do carry some good stuff - e. g. you can usually find canned whole San Marzano tomatoes.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I seem to recall that somewhere up this thread there is a speculation that Wegmans would probably not locate a store in MD because the liquor laws would not permit them to sell wine (I don't know if this is true or not).

Wegmans has stores in Pennsylvania, where the state has a total monopoly on the sale of wine and distilled spirits.

I think you can put that speculation to rest. They're probably scouring the Maryland 'burbs as we chat.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I seem to recall that somewhere up this thread there is a speculation that Wegmans would probably not locate a store in MD because the liquor laws would not permit them to sell wine (I don't know if this is true or not).

Wegmans has stores in Pennsylvania, where the state has a total monopoly on the sale of wine and distilled spirits.

I think you can put that speculation to rest. They're probably scouring the Maryland 'burbs as we chat.

There is a Wegmans currently under construction in Hunt Valley, north of Baltimore. It is true that they won't be able to sell alcohol.

Ok, question:

I live right at the top of Meridian Hill Park, aka Malcolm X Park, and used to buy greek yogurt at Fresh Fields on P. Oh, delicious greek yogurt, especially with roasted bananas, granola or toasted nuts, and honey. :mmmmm: anyway.. horror of horrors, they no longer carry it! it disappeared with no warning! And they say its not coming back.

I know Steve Klc says that Wegmans has it, but does anyone know of any grocery stores in the District that carry greek yogurt? I used Total, and I like it, but I'm open.

Oh, also, any independent or hidden-away markets in the Columbia Heights/U St/ Logan Circle/ Mount Pleasant/ Dupont / Shaw/ Adams Morgan areas that you guys know to be interesting or particularly good? thanks...

And after reading this thread for a while, I must say I don't hate Fresh Fields/ Whole Foods so much. I grew up with Wegman's in Buffalo, NY, (man I didn't realize how lucky I was at the time), but for my first four years in DC, I dealt with the Foggy Bottom Safeway. Mark's Geriatric Safeway. (How are you enjoying your nonexistent produce dept?) Whole Foods is definitely too expensive, but we do live in DC, one of the more expensive cities in this country. I went to Harris Teeter a couple of times, but I ended up spending almost as much money as Whole Foods. WF is no Wegman's, or even Tops, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives by far: a pretty decent cheese selection (even though half is wrapped in plastic); the produce is always fresh and plentiful; I can find things there - like mulling spices - that I can't find anywhere else nearby; the fish and meats are pretty good quality; fresh baked breads; wonderful cherry pies; Jamba Juice; they even have good greeting cards (!); and, while not as good as a wine shop, they certainly have a better beer & wine selection than any other grocery store I've been to (they carry many of the lower-end wines from the wine lists of the tony restaurants in which I've worked). I think of it this way - I can either get basic stuff at Safeway for a reasonable price, or I can choose to pay a shitload and get yuppie food. If only we lived in a place where local butcher's, bakers and cheese shops thrived - but those would probably be expensive, too. So I will wait until Wegman's opens within 10 miles of me :sigh:

Anyway - greek yogurt?

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

LW, Total yogurt has been briefly pulled from American shelves. Something about needing to get a USDA certification. It's expected to return within a few months. I miss it too, and have not seen another Greek yogurt locally.

LittleWing,

Look through this.

They make the good suggestion that you can use Labneh (available in most Whole Foods, or at least the one in SS) to substitute. As Malawry posted, Total ran into problems with their paperwork for customs and has been unable to export to the US.

I've also been known to take some full fat plain yogurt and let it rest in a strainer lined with cheesecloth over a bowl. After a couple of hours, you have something resembling the viscosity of Greek yogurt. My favorite dip is to mix with some minced garlic and slivered dried apricot. It only gets better the next day.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Ok, question:

Oh, also, any independent or hidden-away markets in the Columbia Heights/U St/ Logan Circle/ Mount Pleasant/ Dupont / Shaw/ Adams Morgan areas that you guys know to be interesting or particularly good?  thanks...

If you’re looking for crusty, resonant baguettes; lovingly-tended aged and ashed chevre; or mahi-mahi flown in overnight from wherever it is that mahi-mahi gets flown in from, it’s a tough area of the city. But if you like Asian- and Hispanic-inflected food and don’t mind improvising dinner based on what’s fresh or available you can have a good time shopping Mt. Pleasant.

We usually duck around the corner to the Super Save on Mt. Pleasant and Kenyon for day-to-day stuff but it offers a fine selection of Latin basics: corn and wheat tortillas, queso, Central American crema (dramatically different than either Mexican crema or sour cream), multiple chorizos, spices you’ve never heard of, tamarind paste and beans and rice of all varieties, including bulk Basmati. We buy cheap and plentiful skirt steak for fajitas there, as well, and calf’s and pig’s feet for stock. It’s also starting to some yuppie chow: Starbuck’s coffee, Grey Poupon, organic, free-range eggs and other odds and ends.

Further up Mt. Pleasant, the BestWay, is bigger and, about every third day, has fantastically fresh whole fish – including rockfish and red snapper – on ice and far cheaper the WF. Tip the guy a buck or two when he cleans and scales them for you. But be sure check the eyes and gills: some days the selection is not so fresh, and the fajita option seems the better idea. Their produce section sells big bunches of fresh basil and leeks, and usually offers up mangoes and avocados in various shades of ripeness (unlike the invariably impenetrable Safeway selection), as well as numerous obscure Central American vegs.

The scary block of Park Road between 14th and 16th offers up two Vietnamese grocery stores that offer everything from pre-sliced pho meat and Asian cuts of pork, to quail and duck eggs and vegetables who’s name I don’t really know but which taste great stir-fried. A great source of “Holy” basil, rice noodles and oyster sauce. They are also a great place to bulk up on peanut oil, soy or fish sauce, rice vinegar and so on at low, low prices, or pick up a few cheap bowls, spoons and chop sticks for your first home pho experiment. The language barrier is high, but the families who run the stores are friendly are friendly.

It’s a pain to have to hit P-street for Vidalia onions or good green beans, but there’s a lot to like about the area, too, especially if you’ve got some good ethnic cookbooks ready to get broken in.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I know Steve Klc says that Wegmans has it, but does anyone know of any grocery stores in the District that carry greek yogurt? I used Total, and I like it, but I'm open. 

Littlewing- I saw some (Total) just last night (or was it Sunday?) at the Yes Natural Food Market on Columbia Rd (Adams Morgan). Sounds like you better run there before it's gone...

(unless I beat you to to it!) ;)

Littlewing- I saw some (Total) just last night (or was it Sunday?) at the Yes Natural Food Market on Columbia Rd (Adams Morgan). Sounds like you better run there before it's gone...

I saw some at the cheese stand at Eastern Market last week

Trader Joe's used to have it, but they discontinued over some kind of lack of proper paper work for importation (which should apply everywhere -- so maybe they are restocked now).

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Littlewing- I saw some (Total) just last night (or was it Sunday?) at the Yes Natural Food Market on Columbia Rd (Adams Morgan).  Sounds like you better run there before it's gone...

(unless I beat you to to it!)  ;)

My wife and I were in Westchester County, New York for Thanksgiving, and the Whole Foods in White Plains had a full stock of Total. My wife is an addict and literally filled a cooler with the stuff to bring it back to DC. I have no idea how they're able to get it in NY but not here if the problem is an import license.

I found it I found it! THANK YOU littlechinagirl!!! I went to the Yes market on Connecticut (conveniently right down the street from work) and bought three huge containers. And I will be back soon for more, if yall don't get it first :wink:. thanks again

Eat.Drink.DC.

- Orson Welles

If you're ever in the locale of 19th St (Btwn L and M) The Greek Deli serves Greek yogurt with walnuts and honey. Very tasty, and a large enough serving to last me more than one sitting. MMMMHHH--wish I had some now!

BTW, Kostas sells several Greek items at the deli as well, such as olive oil, pitas, orzo, etc. He also caters, too. If you ever run out again, I'm sure he'll be able to either get some for you, or tell you where to find it.

Edited by squids (log)

Kosta's in amazing! I worked across the street and had lunch there often as well as had him cater lunches for me. It was always a big hit. But, if you go, be prepared to wait line, or avoid peak lunch time.

Has anyone here been to Moms Organic Market in Del Ray on Mt. Vernon Street? I just moved back three months ago and haven't had time to get over there. Is it worth the time and money? Whole Foods remains the standard for the DC area but has definitely dropped off in quality while increasing its price point. The one I used to use in falls Church Never had the selection of the newer and larger outlets in Clarendon and P St. A note on Wegmans, having relocated from Loudoun County the Wegman's in Sterling was a mixed bag for me. The variety of choices was there, as well as the wow factor, but for some reason the place rubbed me the wrong way. I guess even in a grocery store I'm looking for some sense of intimacy...

There is a Korean/Asian market in Merrifield at the corner of Lee Highway and Gallows that has some incredible seafood, just incredible. The fishmongers there are reallly cool and will steer you towards some exotic stuff you may not have heard of.

If he is thin, I will probably dine poorly. If he is both thin and sad, the only hope is in flight.”

Fernand Point

Cirrcle Bistro, Potato Peeler

Has anyone here been to Moms Organic Market in Del Ray on Mt. Vernon Street? I just moved back three months ago and haven't had time to get over there.  Is it worth the time and money?  Whole Foods remains the standard for the DC area but has definitely dropped off in quality while increasing its price point.  The one I used to use in falls Church Never had the selection of the newer and larger outlets in Clarendon and P St.  A note on Wegmans, having relocated from Loudoun County the Wegman's in Sterling was a mixed bag for me.  The variety of choices was there, as well as the wow factor, but for some reason the place rubbed me the wrong way.  I guess even in a grocery store I'm looking for some sense of intimacy...

There is a Korean/Asian market in Merrifield at the corner of Lee Highway and Gallows that has some incredible seafood, just incredible.  The fishmongers there are reallly cool and will steer you towards some exotic stuff you may not have heard of.

MOM (My Organic Market) does not hold a candle to Whole Foods. But, if you are just looking for a couple of things and don't what to make the schlep over to Whole Foods, its worth a stop. What do you have to lose.

Has anyone here been to Moms Organic Market in Del Ray on Mt. Vernon Street?

Just don't let any locals hear you say that end of Mt Vernon Ave is DelRay! :laugh:

FWIW - it's really Arlandria.

Joe W

MOM (My Organic Market) does not hold a candle to Whole Foods.  But, if you are just looking for a couple of things and don't what to make the schlep over to Whole Foods, its worth a stop.  What do you have to lose.

Does that go for all the MOM's? There's one in Rockville, that I've never been to, but every time I pass it I think, "Oh yeah, I should stop in there some day..."

Anyone ever been to that one?

I go to MOM for some things - they have a great herb department, vitamins, homeopathics, etc., and a big selection of teas.

Their food selection is nothing to write home about although they do carry Firehook bread, which is better than Whole Foods' bakery. And their prices are pretty high.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I've been to the MOMs in College Park and in Rockville. They're ok--roughly analogous to the Takoma Park Silver Spring Coop where I shop often, though they're not coops. I like the Spring Mill breads they carry. They sell these energy squares in the bulk section that we used to eat as trail food which I never saw anywhere else. Other than that, they have mostly what you find at Whole Foods but less selection and no butchery or fish department to speak of.

Oh, also, any independent or hidden-away markets in the Columbia Heights/U St/ Logan Circle/ Mount Pleasant/ Dupont / Shaw/ Adams Morgan areas that you guys know to be interesting or particularly good?  thanks...

todito grocero (wedged betwixt perry's and cashion's on columbia) has mucho mucho south american goods, plus a butcher counter, offally lovely offal, much bad wine interspersed with some viticultural wonders at nice nice prices AND a small stand with pupusas and the like. in short, they've got it all.

i may never stop laughing at the irony if they carried total yoghurt; imagine and laugh!:! total at the total grocery!

i hear you laughing...

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

Here's more kudos for Todito's. When I first moved to Adams Morgan in the mid-70's it was called the "Americana Market." My mother in El Paso used to send me care packages with cans of Herdez salsa until I told her that I could buy this stuff up the street.

After it was the Americana, it became "Manuel's", until it is now "Toditos." Whatever. The meat counter has really been improved. And there are some real bargains to be found in there, particularly in the spice rack. It is also the only place around here to find specific dried chilies. Since my neighbors are from all over Central and South America, I have found there is much to be learned and differentiated from all these different countries and Todito's seems to have gotten that point.

i have always passed by toditos on the way to So's Your Mom, my favorite neighborhood small grocery. They carry Boar's Head meats and cheeses, and have great sandwiches (get roast beef and herbed cream cheese on pumpernickel or turkey, bacon, avocado, tomato, mayo, lettuce and havarti on sourdough. oh now i'm craving their sandwiches and they're closed. damn.) They also have their baked goods, like rugelach and hamantaschen and the like. And many imported canned and boxed food as well. Its pricey, but worth it.

But next time I'm over there I will check out Todito's. and I will guffaw with great irony if they carry Total yogurt...

Edited by LittleWing (log)

Eat.Drink.DC.

- Orson Welles

Love the cheap crappy wine section at Todito. I've found some decent things there. And now I want an egg salad sandwich with bacon from So's Your Mom. Or the BLAT (bacon, lettuce, avocado & tomato). Or the curried chicken salad....

BTW- this question might be out there, but anyone know where in the neighborhood I can find a steady supply of Gold Rush Honest Tea? I've been hooked for years, but it seems the only places that carry Honest Tea near me carry the only flavors I don't like.