• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

19 minutes ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Yeah, but I was talking about a largely under-educated family in a small mountain town in Colorado, part of an extensive Italian community

My apologies. When you said "they knew"  I missed that you were talking about a specific family. I thought you just meant people in general.

Funnily enough, the first time I heard about the brining technique was back in the 1970s when I found a description in a Latin document from the late Roman Empire.  I wish I could find it again, but any notes I made at the time are on the other side of the planet in my sister's attic.

I'm told it was used in China even longer ago, but seems to have disappeared in modern cuisine. Some friends were horrified when they saw me throw what they thought of life-threatening salt into a brine one day.  I've has similar reactions when just salting water for pasta.

But then,  I did have to wrestle three people to the ground to prevent them calling an emergency ambulance when they totally freaked because I ate a raw button mushroom. They were convinced I wouldn't last ten minutes. They love their food but,  like people everywhere, know very little about it.

liuzhou

liuzhou

11 minutes ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Yeah, but I was talking about a largely under-educated family in a small mountain town in Colorado, part of an extensive Italian community

My apologies. When you said "they knew"  I missed that you were talking about a specific family. I thought you just meant people in general.

Funnily enough, the first time I heard about the brining technique was back in the 1970s when I found a description in a Latin document from the late Roman Empire.  I wish I could find it again, but any notes I made at the time are on the other side of the planet in my sister's attic.

I'm told it was used in China even longer ago, but seems to have disappeared in modern cuisine. Some friends were horrified when they saw me throw what they thought of life-threatening salt into a brine one day.  I've has similar reactions when just salting water for pasta.

But hen I had to wrestle three people to the ground to prevent them calling an emergency ambulance when they totally freaked because I ate a raw mushroom. They love their food, but like people everywhere, know very little about it.