• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Mid-Calorie" Sodas: C2, Pepsi Edge, etc.

Stone

• 1 month later...

ok, here's what's next:

you have a can that has two (count them, 2!) openings in the top, and a separator in the can. One half is diet soda, and the other opening is the real thing (or whatever).

That way you can really be a dual purpose drinker.

You know, we had some Italian Soda bottels at work for sampling. I don't know if all Italian sodas are "all natural" or if it was jsut this specific brand. either way, i found the taste to be very nice and mellow and they used real ingredients. My coworkers on the other hand, didn't like the soda at all. The kind we sampled was grapefruit. to me it tasted like fizzy ruby red cocktail. to them it was bitter and gross, and blah blah blah. I blame all of this on high fructose corn syrup.

Bobo, is Brazil a testing area for this product or are you working at a test site in the US? And is it a hybrid sweetner product, with both high fructose corn syrup and nutrasweet?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

2) I've heard that's a myth anyway

Not a myth, according to a friend of ours who's a department head at Eastman School of Dentistry. Many children's enamel is rapidly disappearing. He demonstrates the effect to his classes by leaving a tooth in a glass of Coke; noticable deterioration after a couple of days.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

But still, you gotta wonder how many sodas you have to drink to equal two straight days of sitting in soda.

Easily done in a small fraction of a lifetime. What with acid for enamel depletion and refined carbs for decay, dentists are as job-secure as undertakers. :raz:

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Three words for C2: "New Coke Again"

We had a scattering of overlap between similar topics on these new "mid cal" sodas, so they've been merged here in our "Soft Drinks" forum.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Bobo, is Brazil a testing area for this product or are you working at a test site in the US? And is it a hybrid sweetner product, with both high fructose corn syrup and nutrasweet?

I believe it's a HFCS/Splenda combo, Jason, like the new Pepsi Edge.

EDIT - Confirmed by a very tight zoom on that label.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

And does that say 45 calories?

Wonderful! But the acidity will still rot your enamel.

My elementary school Phys Ed teacher (we actually called it "Gym" back then), "Mr. A", loved to regale us with scary tales of things we should avoid (one wa s to stay away from guys who hang around in locker rooms at the YMCA and we were way to naive to understand what he was talking about). His very favorite story was about his Model A Ford that had a rusting chrome on the bumper - he was advised to rub it dwon with a rag soaked in Coca-Cla and sure enough - that did the trick - removed all the rust! (all part of his pitch for healthier living I guess)

Not a myth, according to a friend of ours who's a department head at Eastman School of Dentistry. Many children's enamel is rapidly disappearing. He demonstrates the effect to his classes by leaving a tooth in a glass of Coke; noticable deterioration after a couple of days.

Snopes covers this.

I saw this on Mythbusters on discovery channel.

The Coke DID NOT dissolve a tooth at all after leaving it in there for a couple days.

It does, however, shine up a penny pretty good, clean a chrome bumper, and it tenderized a steak until it was almost falling apart.

Actually, I hate to tell you, but I think it makes really good marketing sense. There are a lot of people out there who drink sodas by the bucketfull -- 8, 10 a day -- and at 150 calories a can, or whatever it is, that adds up to a real problem, weight-wise. The problem, though, is that soda sweetened with aspartame basically tastes nothing like the real deal. Soda companies, of course, don't WANT people to make a radical change in their habits (like consuming a lot less soda), but they're aware that there's this whole huge generation out there that is becoming seriously aware of its own mortality, and that is now struggling like crazy to lose the extra weight that has mysteriously accumulated. Plus, that generation has now become aware of the evils of too much sugar, so even if they are not "dieting," they are still leaning toward keeping an eye on their carb intake. Solution: Give those folks something that will taste enough like the full-sugar version that they'll be satisfied, and will also be sufficiently lower in calories and sugar than the full-sugar version that they won't feel guilty.

If C2 or Pepsi's equivalent tastes better than their "Diet" versions, I'm definitely going to be a convert.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host