• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chardonnay recommendation

Brad Ballinger

Last night, our entire department from work went out to dinner. It's one of those things where, if you've ever been in the position, you just go along for the ride. Rarely is the restaurant one you'd pick if you, like me, are "hyphenated" when it comes to food and wine.

This particular venue was Biaggi's an Italian-themed chain. There were 14 of us. The server was taking drink orders, and one person asked for a glass of chardonnay. The server asked which one of the two they offered. The individual asked the server about the difference...

"Well, the Chateau St. Jean is lighter while the Canyon Road is more dry." :blink:

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Precisely why I avoid these places like the plague.

It's more like the St. Jean is closer to water and the Canyon Road is more like drinking the bag on the wood chipper.

Blech.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Based on these descriptions, I'm happy to say I couldn't relate to either one :laugh:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

It's more like the St. Jean is closer to water and the Canyon Road is more like drinking the bag on the wood chipper.

Blech.

Katie,

That is why I attempt to do wait/sales staff seminars as I hate this type of description as it is not even close to what I know of these two wines.

As to your "tasting" note on the Chateau St. Jean Chardonnay, Sonoma, I find it a bit disconcerting as this wine is better than most water I have had in my life time. It may not be in the same style that famed former winemaker Dick Arrowood established in the 70s and 80s but it is still quite a good value at SRP of $12.99. As to Canyon Road, I have not had it in a couple of years and can not comment on your "tasting" note.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ward (log)
I have never met a miserly wine lover

The fact that the server's comment doesn't faze 99.9% of the dining and drinking world illustrates just how alone in the universe we really are.

To steal a movie tag line, in wine space, nobody can hear you scream.

Kriss Reed

Long Beach, CA

Blech.

Katie,

That is why I attempt to do wait/sales staff seminars as I hate this type of description as it is not even close to what I know of these two wines.

As to your "tasting" note on the Chateau St. Jean Chardonnay, Sonoma, I find it a bit disconcerting as this wine is better than most water I have had in my life time. It may not be in the same style that famed former winemaker Dick Arrowood established in the 70s and 80s but it is still quite a good value at SRP of $12.99. As to Canyon Road, I have not had it in a couple of years and can not comment on your "tasting" note.

Phil

Phil:

I train the staff too. I provide tasting notes for all new products and try to get sample bottles of everything for everyone to try when something new is added to the list.

And I realize some folks like wines I don't. In fact, I often buy them because the customer base I serve likes them, whether I do or not. Being a Beverage Director doesn't make you The Wine Nazi. My palate is certainly not everyone's. For me, it's all about cost control. I'm basically a number crunching spreadsheet geek with a taste for wine. :biggrin:

You're likely correct that much of my disappointment with the St. Jean is probably based on how much I used to enjoy the wines when Dick Arrowood was the winemaker. I still do enjoy Arrowood wines, but the price is unfortunately not as friendly as it was back in the days. The Grand Archer, Arrowood's second label line is priced better, but has a different winemaker these days.

Also, please remember that all of my comments are based on my experiences within the Pennsylvania Liquor Control System, with whom I am forced to do business at great markup over SRP. In PA that very same wine is $14.99 (a 16% cost increase) and it is a "listed" item, meaning anyone can buy it at retail and will know what the restaurant's markup is. At that price it has a pretty low price/value quotient when I can get unoaked (or at least un-OVERoaked) and far more complex and interesting French or Australian Chardonnay for the same price or even much less that is available only to restaurants and therefore has a lot more cachet with the customers, since it's probably something they haven't seen before or had at home last week.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol