• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

new menu @ black sheep

aliwaks

Stopped in Black Sheep the other day for typical burger beer quizzo type evening andsaw quite a change in thier menu; Sambal wings with wasabi, quail with texas cornbread & chorizo and gaudillo pepper puree a mac & cheese to make me weep and a kobe beef burger (which unfortunately one of my dining companions ordered well done with goat cheese, much to my dismay, so I have no idea if it was good or not but it sounded fantastic) and a pork roll egg & cheese sandwich with black pepper mayo that I did not order but was clever enough to make me smile. The only thing I did not love was the arugula salad which was too shy with the dressing and a bit gritty.

this has totally changed my quizzo experience!!!

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

I have also noticed similar changes since Dickens Inn was bought by the owners of Black Sheep, renamed Dark Horse, and acquired Ben McNamara as chef. I tried his lamb shank (yes, this is not pub food either!) and it was excellent! Now I can have a good brew, smoke a good cigar, and have excellent food!

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

everytime i walk past this menu it screams "confusion!" at me. the menu before was much more interesting than your average bar, but it was still grounded in some type of ideal. this thing is just crazy now, though.

"i bet you smell like strawberry ice cream... the good kind" - e.dunn

everytime i walk past this menu it screams "confusion!" at me. the menu before was much more interesting than your average bar, but it was still grounded in some type of ideal. this thing is just crazy now, though.

I agree...my son rowed on the Skuykhill (sp?) recently, and we headed over there during a gap in the races....yikes! Just a mish-mash of selections, but in the same Pub atmosphere..no flow, to rhyme or reason...Dickens was a staple for us...but not for tabboleh or beet salads! Even with the unpleasant dichotomy of decor and food, the food itself was just ok, IMO.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

slightly OT--but that sounds like gourmet quizzo! I play in a college bar that doesn't even serve nuts at the bar. $1 bottles tho. Sounds like I should try to form a more upscale team. :)

I still think (and this is OT too, sorry) that the best Quizzo in the city is at the Grey Lodge (6235 Frankford) on Wednesday nights: awesome tap selection, wines by the glass, and an impressive selection of whiskies and bourbons, along with the most perfect beer food ever created, Magic Mushroom Wraps, and NE Philly-style tomato pie (cheese on bottom, sauce on top). Tough questions, too, and bawdy (no, sorry often obscene) team names.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"