• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LeftBank

So, my verdict would be: don't go to Left BAnk for the food or service. Go to enjoy a light-filled room with a nice atmosphere if you want to lounge your Sunday morning away with a paper when you are in a mellow mood and not in a hurry.  If that's not your sort of thing, I wouldn't bother.

I walked into LeftBank today at around 10 AM, and enjoyed a really nice cup of fresh fruit with orange-blossom water ($5.00) and housemade granola with lowfat yogurt and dried fruit, the bowl drizzled around the rim with organic honey ($6.00). My server (at the empty bar in the center) was friendly, and the food was very good, ample, healthy, and an excellent value.

I agree with Nadya that LeftBank is an interesting place to while away the hours at their impressive weekend brunch (served 8-5 Saturdays and Sundays). Their menu seems to be designed so that the average diner will spend $10-12 on food whether they get fruit, a breakfast sandwich, or have the omelette cart wheeled to their table for a tableside preparation.

One thing about a place such as LeftBank: even if you go and spend only $6 for a big bowl of oatmeal, you still get the exact same atmosphere that people spending $50 for dinner would get, and that's one of the main attractions of this restaurant - people walk into it and are so befuddled by the futuristic setting that they don't quite know what to do. This is about the closest thing I've ever seen to the Milkbar in A Clockwork Orange, and it's a perfect place for tourists to enjoy a weekend breakfast, even with children in tow.

Cheerios,

Rocks.

This is about the closest thing I've ever seen to the Milkbar in A Clockwork Orange.

If Corduroy (of which I'm a big fan) is akin to a Delta lounge, this is Virgin on an IKEA budget. Too bad you have to suffer through the food. I'll just take the free peanuts and pilot wings, thanks.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey