• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ within 2 hours of the Outer Banks

halland

This summer my entire in-law family (25+ people) will be descending on the Outer Banks for a week of vacation. While I'm there I do not want to miss the opportunity to eat my weight in BBQ at least once, but a lot of the joints I see are pretty far inland (Raleigh, Chapel Hill, etc.). I know there has to be some good BBQ within 2 hours driving -- and I mean a real BBQ stand, not a touristy beach place.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Hal

Well, you're not going to find anything GREAT within 2 hours, unfortunately. You may want to try Lane's Family Barbecue in Edenton, and while you're there, head over to Williamston to try the Sunnyside Oyster Bar, which is certainly a blast from the past. Here's a thread

Now I also think you should try Bubba's Barbecue in Frisco, where they purportedly cook over hickory. Mind you, I don't know if this is NC barbecue or anything else about the place, but it may be worth a shot, and it'd be a pretty drive.

Finally, Random Alias' suggestion of Pete Jones Skylight Inn is a solid one, as is Bum's, which is also in Ayden (they're only a few blocks apart -- and I actually prefer Bum's). However, that's a LONG haul from Nags Head.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Don't go to Bubba's. Bubba died a few years ago and his widow sold and it has

been awful every since. You need to go to Rick and Tina Sauls BBQ in Currituck.

It's about 15 to 20 minutes from Nags head. If fact you 'll probably notice it if you look on the right about 3 or 4 miles before the Currituck bridge. Rick Saul, does eastern style bbq justice. His father cooked for Parker bbq in Wilson NC for many years before moving to the outer banks with his family. they offer Family style which is all you can eat. They keep bringing whatever you like to the table. They offer bbq, fried chicken (it's excellent!) boiled potatoes, slaw, hushpuppies, brunswick stew and banana pudding for dessert on their family style menu. Don't hold me to this but I don't think it's any more than 7 dollars. You'll find them in the phone book when you get down. If you want a fancier meal, let me know I'll point you in the right direction.

I vacation on Outer Banks every year and OB Q is nothing special. I think the best comes from NC BBQ which is in Corolla behind Winks and the Twiddy Realtor office. Pigman's is no good. Sooey's is not much better. Some of the stuff at the Duck Deli is pretty good. I understand that there is a new place open this year called, I believe, High Cotton. From what I understand it is located in Kill Devil Hills near milepost 3 on the beach road. If that location is correct it is most assuredly a tourist type place and I do not hold out a lot of hope for it.

I agree that the Saul's have the best in the area. It is not far from Nags Head and would second the advice that you give them a try.

At the risk of raining on the parade, so to speak, I agree that Q near the OB is nothing to write home about. It's been about 4 years since our visit, so something new may be there now.

Also, as a person who likes things to do on vacation, (meaning I hate sitting on the beach, fishing, and boating) be prepared for a whole lot of nothing to do.

We did watch them move the lighthouse inland, but other than that, the best thing about our OB vacation was leaving early.

• 4 weeks later...

If you happen to go South down past Ocracoke to Beaufort and Atlantic Beach, you're in luck. Roland's BBQ is a little hole in the wall in Beafort. Its on HWY 70 at the intersection where 70 turns right when you're going west on 70 towards Morehead City. Its a small place and only us locals know about it. :wink: Some people love McCall's in Morehead, but I've never figured out why. :huh: Everything is greasy. As for seafood, Sanitary is famous in Morehead City, but it changed ownership about 10 years ago and its not as good...its also really crowded with tourists all the time. I prefer The Net House in Beafort. Its on Turner Street across from the Historical Society. Also my DH and I absolutely love The Beaufort Grocery Company on Queen St. Its owned by a couple from Michigan and they serve really cool gourmet sandwiches, etc. It was one of the first upscale places around Beafort/MHC/Atlantic Beach. We were hurting for quite a while.

I just wanted to give you a feel for what was further South. PM if you need more info. I lived there for almost 20 years. There is a lot to do, but it is more touristy.

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

As was mentioned earlier High Cotton near Kill Devil Hills is pretty good. I went right after the hurricane so any building that was standing looked like hot stuff. The Q is good, and there is an impressive collection of B&W photos of food related endeavors from UNC's NC Collection. The chef is a big guy who has had some training, and I think is a Nash Co. native. It aint gang busters, but the food is still pretty tasty and they use wood.

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"