• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanks to Florida Jim

pirate

I find Florida Jim's comments very useful. He recently commented on the 2002 Bruno Giacosa

2002 Roero Arneis white wine. His description made me feel it was the kind of white wine I would like and so I purchased a case. I tried the first bottle today and it lived up to my expectations.

I find Florida Jim's comments very useful. He recently commented on the 2002 Bruno Giacosa

2002 Roero Arneis white wine. His description made me feel it was the kind of white wine I would like and so I purchased a case. I tried the first bottle today and it lived up to my expectations.

Thanks.

BTW, did you happen to notice that Robert Parker recently posted a note on this wine over on the eBobby/Squires board? He was also complimentary.

Although personally, it's sort of a mixed blessing to be validated by Parker.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Florida Jim: I don't understand numerical ratings like the 100 point scales and don't pay attention to Parker. I am unaware of the site you mentioned. Two days ago I had an interesting Italian red wine.

I had heard about the aglianico grape and at a stop at a fine wine retailer, the buyer mentioned he had the best aglianico he had tasted, the 2001 Naima from De Concillis. Pricey but I bought a few bottles. It could use aging. Very deep purple. Dry, austere, with some fruit but harmonious. Not much aftertaste yet. I'll wait on the other bottles.

I had heard about the aglianico grape and at a stop at a fine wine retailer, the buyer mentioned he had the best aglianico he had tasted, the 2001 Naima from De Concillis.

Although I have not heard of that producer, Taurasi and Taburno are DOC's that use this grape to make some pretty hearty wines, often with aromas of cigar box and leather accenting black fruit. I've had a few and they seem to need some time.

Should you ever see it, try the Mastroberardino "Radici;" it sort of put aglianico on the map.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Taurasi also makes some very good basketball players. :cool:

Shameless! Boooo! :raz: Ms. Taurasi hails from Chino, CA, the town right over the hill from my hometown of Diamond Bar. She could have plied her hoops trade anywhere she wanted, but Storrs was about as far away from her hometown stank as she could get. Although much of the well-fertilized soil has been claimed for the housing boom, it's still a semi-serious cow town. When the wind was wrong, the unmistakeable bouquet would waft over the hills. "Ahh, smell that fresh derrière" One could easily write that as "dairy air", but it really did smell like moldy ass.

Kriss Reed

Long Beach, CA

Kriss,

What you may not realize is that Storrs, CT is very much a cow town. Before Auriemma and Calhoun, UConn's most famous attraction was the UConn Creamery, part of their School of Agriculture. There's a definite "dairy air" in Storrs.

And yes, I am shameless, but you knew that.