• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Metallic Taste in Lemon Desserts

Wendy DeBord

o.k. I suppose this will sound crazy to most of you but I have a problem with the taste of fresh lemon in my desserts. I keep wondering if it's me, if it's my taste buds that detect this..........am I all alone?

I swear it doesn't matter what I use fresh lemon in or the method, nor the pan mixed in (it could even be glass and I notice this). The finished product has metalic under tones to me.

Examples:

1. If I mix a egg custard in a stainless steel bowl adding fresh lemon juice and zest then baking to set. So the lemon and eggs are cooked in a crust not in metal.

2. In lemon curds cooked either over a water bath or dirrect heat.

I don't get this metalic taste when I use lemon oil or extracts only with fresh lemon. I should add I've been struggling with a sinus infection which could throw my taste off-but I'm certain I've noticed this my whole baking life.

Do any of you know what I mean? Is there a reason for this? When you taste a fresh lemon tart do you taste this metalic under tone too? Last-how do I get rid of it!!!??

Wendy,

My honest opinion is that it is the pot or pan that you have been or are using.

I have a recipe for a lemon curd that is cooked over direct heat, and if I don't use a particular pan, I get the metallic taste that you speak of.

Unfortunately I am not well versed on the subject of lemon, as this curd is the only thing I can think of that I make in a pot with lemon in it.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in, as I too am curious as to why this occurs, but I would put my money on the type of pot/pan used.

Take care,

Jason

I've noticed this too, but mainly with freshly squeezed juice only.

I use the 'fresh' stuff in the jugs, and there's no difference to me except the lack of metallic undertones.

I agree wuth Jason though, using the right pot seems to make a diff.

I always do my curd over direct heat, rarely use a bain except for melting chocolate.

If I had a decent microwave, I would use that to melt choc., except maybe for white.

2317/5000

Yes, I catch it too at times. I did a zabaglione once in a stainless bowl over simmering water and I couldn't eat it, the metallic taste was so heavy.

While pot/pan may be a big factor, it still doesn't answer to the glass bowl situation Wendy mentioned. I wonder if the whisk could be the culprit. I did a lemon cream this past weekend and didn't catch the metallic, but I do know that I used my newer whisk.

Yes, I catch it too at times. I did a zabaglione once in a stainless bowl over simmering water and I couldn't eat it, the metallic taste was so heavy.

While pot/pan may be a big factor, it still doesn't answer to the glass bowl situation Wendy mentioned. I wonder if the whisk could be the culprit. I did a lemon cream this past weekend and didn't catch the metallic, but I do know that I used my newer whisk.

The whisk factor is some damn fine detective work!

:hmmm:

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

nowadays they have these silicone coated whisks...they have them here in nyc at zabars...maybe that will help?

that is a great deduction as i was baffled when wendy said she used a glass bowl.

p.s. wendy, i feel the same way about the metallic flavor. for a long time, i felt that lemon curd tasted like turkey drippings (don't ask, it doesn't taste like that anymore to me). i wonder if it is hormonal :blink: (that's only a small joke).

Well, I'm delighted to see this isn't in my head and others know what I mean.

I'd swear it doesn't seem to be what it contacts. But yes, I use a stainless whisk in the glass bowl, so maybe that brief contact does it? I do use jugs of fresh lemon juice at times and it gives me the same taste.

BUT now I'll have to buy one of those coated whisks and make something in a glass bowl....to see if this eliminates the undertone. That might take me a couple weeks...........

Have any of you ever read anything about this? Other then the typical don't cook in aluminum-which I swear yeilds the same exact results as stainless, not any worse.

I sure would like to resolve this! I really don't know where to look for an answer-anyone have an idea?

• 1 year later...

Wendy, did you ever find an answer to this? It happened to me for the first time yesterday when making a lemon meringue pie. It's never happened before, and I always use a stainless pan/whisk. I did use a different recipe - do you suppose it's due to a certain proportion of lemon juice to other ingredients?

It is really off putting - I think I might have to throw this one out.

I've tasted it too, but usually associated it with age. As in a fresh curd will taste great, but a day or two does it no favours. I just thought it was that "fridge" taste, but no amount of saran wrap could make it not happen with lemon.

I notice an off taste with lemon when it is cooked for a long time. If possible, I cook with the zest but add the juice midway or at the end of the cooking period.

Perhaps it's the reaction of lemon and eggs rather than lemon and pan?

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I remember reading a thread on this very board that dealt with this The deduction that was reached was that the proportions are indeed the culprit.

I always notice it personally, sometimes more than others. I always use the same bowls too, but there is a wide varience in metalic undertone.

I wish I remembered which thread that was...

I wish you could recall which thread this was resolved on Sethro. Other then this very thread the only similar one I recall was when we were testing lemon curds for the best (does that help?). I wish I could recall.....but I can't remember anyone having the answer to 'why'.

I don't find the metalic taste linked to freshness..........for me, if it's present it is so from the moment it's made. I'd love an answer to this puzzle.

I wish you could recall which thread this was resolved on Sethro. Other then this very thread the only similar one I recall was when we were testing lemon curds for the best (does that help?). I wish I could recall.....but I can't remember anyone having the answer to 'why'.

I believe it was that thread, and although there was no answer as to why, there was a proportion suggested that minimized the effect.

• 10 months later...

Could it be baking powder?

It can be made with a metal salt.

But why would it be in a curd recipe?

Do the lemons taste 'off' before being used?

How are they being juiced?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Interesting to read this. A few months ago I was at the Bouchon Baker at the Time Warner Center (of all places) and I was looking forward to eating their lemon tart. And I noticed (I couldn't not notice) that it had a metallic taste to it. I thought it was just me. Then, a while ago, I was there again, and I had completely forgotten about the metallic taste so I ordered the lemon tart again. (Duh.) With the first taste came that memory jolt -- oh yeah, it was metallic the last time, too. (But I still figured it was me. :sad: )

Has anyone found the answer to this? Just made a bastch of meyer lemon curds that I could not use.

Did you use a whisk or bowl made out of aluminum, or otherwise bring the lemon into contact with a reactive medal? That's the only thing I can think of. . .

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Patrick, I know that when I had this problem, I used only stainless steel bowls, pans and whisks. No aluminum came near the lemon (I had this problem with a lemon meringue pie filling). I used a different recipe than my regular one, and suspect that it was the proportion of ingredients that caused the problem. However, I think it is also possible that lemons pick up a metallic taste while in storage and perhaps it comes out when the juice is heated. Or maybe it is in the zest. I still haven't figured it out, but I haven't had it happen recently (knock on wood).

• 7 years later...

I know that this is an old post, but for someone like me who lurks to learn, this metallic thing happened to me too. New method is to use all nonreactive stuff, of course, but to have a nonreactive strainer as well. Look for a nylon, nonreactive strainer. They have them on the web.

I'll  mention this for everyone's consideration.  

Back in my school days I knew a guy who could only eat with plastic cutlery or stainless.   If he touched sterling cutlery to his lips he

got an unpleasent metalic taste or even  a mild shock.  Certain food products caused a metalic taste for him too.

I asked him what he did and he explained that he had seen a Doctor and had test done.  He was told he had some "condition"

and the meds he was issued were called "Bile Salts".

I've met other people whose bodies were more acid to the point that they cannot wear jewelery.  The metal exposed to their

skin would corrode to where it couldn't be worn.

I just mention this as a FYI. 

Metallic taste with lemon juice? There could be three reasons I can think of that have nothing to do with pots and cooking utensils. These are just my thoughts, with no scientific evidence or knowledge.

1. Do you have an old tooth filling done used with amalgam? Could be a reaction between the acid and the filling.

2. Farmers sometimes "spike" the soil of lemon trees with large quantities of iron to promote growth.

3. Are your lemons 100% ripe? I was told once that using juice from lemons not fully ripe produces a bad taste and also the lemon curd will "weep".

I also read somewhere that using confectioners sugar with lemon juice sometimes causes a metallic taste if the sugar is old and has oxidized. How true this is, I have no idea.

I have never come across this, other than other people saying they have experienced it and what other posters have written above. As a matter of interest, in the mid 70's, in an upmarket hotel kitchen, we used to regularly make lemon curd using a Hobart mixer that had an aluminium bowl and I never experienced a metallic taste then either.

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.