• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sambucca vs. Pernod

Lisa1349

I was browsing the depressing state store looking for Pernod to make bouillabase with when I saw Sambucca on a shelf nearby. Lightbulb! Both are anise, I own Sambucca... without the expense of a side by side taste test, how do they match up? Pernod is more expensive.

I ended up steeping the saffron in a vodka/cointreau mix that went wonderfully with the poached fishies.

Any info appreciated. Thank you.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Lisa, sorry for the late response.... I had to join the forum in order to offer an answer. Sambuca is a liqueur (sugar syrup based), while pernod is an apertif, ie. not sweet. If a recipe calls for pernod, you may be better off substituting another anise based apertif such as Pastis (eg. Ricard), Absinthe, or even Ouzo (greece). For fish dishes (especially prawns) I suspect addition of straight Sambuca would be too sweet. I often use white vermouth to replace pernod. This results in a spicier flavour if I'm not in the mood for licorice.

bon appetit :)

Not Ouzo... its like 80 proof and is not a liqueur, its similar to Sambuca. So is Raki and Arrak for that matter.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thank you, David, for joining for my appeasement and welcome! I figured they were not comparable and was happy with my vodka decision. Maybe an investment into a bottle of Pernod or something similar is not out of the question.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

If you're going to purchase a pastis, I'd suggest getting Henri Bardouin pastis. Best of the bunch , as far as I'm concerned...

Which reminds me that since it is so warm and pleasant outside, I should bring a bottle up from the cellar and laze about this afternoon with a tall glass, a splash of pastis and a pitcher of ice water.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

If you're going to purchase a pastis, I'd suggest getting Henri Bardoiun pastis. Best of the bunch , as far as I'm concerned...

Which reminds me that since it is so warm and pleasant outside, I should bring a bottle up from the cellar and laze about this afternoon with a tall glass, a splash of pastis and a pitcher of ice water.

You know I took the day off and had one before lunch. Might be time to have another since the sun refuses to come out. Looks like no Petanque today.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Not Ouzo... its like 80 proof and is not a liqueur, its similar to Sambuca. So is Raki and Arrak for that matter.

Jason, with all due respect... Pernod is also 80 proof, and is not traditionally thought of as a liqueur. . Lots of recipes call for it in order to impart the anise flavour, irrespective of it's alcohol content. Do a side-by-side taste test of Pernod and Ouzo and you'll actually find the pernod also has herbal qualities, which the french obviously like.