• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants long gone...

Holly Moore

It has been closed for a couple of years now. It became a combination Mexican/Mediterranean (?) place for a while (possibly under the same ownership? You can see that I never went in, despite walking by it all the time). The Sushi House (formerly a couple of blocks away) has moved in recently.

the wurst house is still there, and you're right, it's not the same as it was.

i remember the roost having good pizza as well, but i have no idea if my memory is tainted by the fact that i was in college at the time.

funny thing about memories from yester-year... I also have some hazy college-age memories of meals from Le Bus (the Bus and then the Sansom Street locale), Troy's (oh that hand-written menu), Ronnie's Sandwich Shoppe (now Billy Bob's? 40th and Spruce) and the Wurst house (something about the mushrooms I ate made the place/plates seem magical).

Ahhh Ronnie's. I used to get the corned beef special hoagie. Weighed about 5 lbs. Can't imagine how I could eat that for lunch and still function.

Re gfweb's comment on Le Bec Fin:

If my incredibly delicious meal at Le Bar Lyonnais this Monday is any indication, the food turned out by the Le Bec Fin kitchen is still among the best, perhaps the very best, in Philadelphia. The adjustments in style of these restaurants should not be taken as an indication of decreased quality of their food. Spectacular dishes such as old-time favorites like their escargot casserole, mushroom ravioli, and succulent roast chicken indicate a consistency of excellence over many years, despite the turnover in kitchen staff. We also tried new dishes such as the wonderful roasted fennel soup and the spectacular hamburger that was mentioned in Rick Nichols piece in the Inquirer last week. The new decor in Le Bar Lyonnais and also upstairs makes the mood less formal, but the food is still wonderful.

• 3 weeks later...
Walt's- oyster stew

Joe's Bar on Eagle in Havertown awesome pizza

Firehouse Tavern on Darby in Havertown awesome Chili

Pif everything

Mandoline short ribs/ lobster mac and cheese

I miss you all...

Thank youfor the kind compliments.. :biggrin:

<span style='color:red'><i>Todd Lean

Email me