• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Craft

yvonne johnson

My mother and I had dinner at Craft last year, and I was incredibly impressed by the knowledge and friendliness of the staff. Our server was quite willing to help us navigate the menu-- I'd never really been to a restaurant with that kind of pick and choose small plate menu except in a tapas bar. You didn't mention the service-- were they still helpful? Or did you (being sophisticated e-gulleteers) not have too many questions?

Neil

Author of the Mahu series of mystery novels set in Hawaii.

Service was quite high on all counts.

They were even technically correct (as in placing left and taking away from the right); as non-obtrusive as possible. Knowledgeable, helpful. (My view. The others might vary.)

Soba

I went to Craft a year ago, and had a less than satisfactory experience. Despite a confirmed reservation, we waited at the bar for an hour for our table, with no apologies, just "We're busy tonight". Granted I live in paris, and shouldn't compare, but I thought that the food was the equivalent of any one of many contemporary bistros here in Paris, but much more expensive. The service was really slow, and we seemed to have lost our waiter half-way through the meal, and then were served by two different other servers. One told us our foie-gras was French, another said it was from New York. I probably wouldn't give it another try, though I'm pleased to see others had a more positive experience..

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Have reservations for 7/3 at 2 pm and at Blue Smoke for 7pm. I saw on Opentable.com I could get in at Craft at 7pm. It's also restaurant week and $30.03 at Craft seems awfully tempting. What does everything think? Should I switch them?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am new to this website and love it. Anyone been to Craft recently? I have read about the recent posted but need more suggestions.

Would you please tell me what not to be missed at Craft? it's my first time. Please tell me all the recommended dishes. And should we order from tasting menu or a la carte? I'm going with 5 friends.

Hope to see your reply. Thank you so much.

Vienna

The carrots are out of this world! Ask the chef about the deep sea shrimps, and definitely try the Hamachi. The skates are great but not the best., then again, i'm really picky that way.

Welcome to egullet!

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

One group of our users posted a very thorough Craft report on June 9. Most of the same items are likely still in season and on the menu.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=22376

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Morels, if he's got em. Their beef is incredible as well -- try either the kobe skirt steak or their strip steak for 2. His raw oysters are also excellent.

The deep sea shrimp are awesome but I think that was only a one-time thing when we were there.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Does Craft have a tasting menu? I know they've made changes in how their "carte" is arranged since I've been there.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

The whole basic premise is more like "create your own tasting menu." But as I recall, it IS possible to order fixed combinations of dishes -- about as close as Craft gets to any kind of set menu.

One item to avoid: the potatoes boulangere. I've tried them twice, and they just didn't work. However, ALL MUSHROOMS WORK ALL THE TIME :wub::wub::wub:

Does Craft have a tasting menu? I know they've made changes in how their "carte" is arranged since I've been there.

Yes, Craft has a market-based tasting menu. It's basically how you ask the chef to order for you.

The menu at Craft is now essentially a normal restaurant menu, with a little more choice than is normal.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The menu at Craft is now essentially a normal restaurant menu, with a little more choice than is normal.

So does that mean Colicchio's grand experiment in choice has failed?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

So does that mean Colicchio's grand experiment in choice has failed?

He pulled the plug on the experiment. Whether or not that makes it a failure is an open question. I strongly advocated sticking with the original plan, and I maintain that's what he should have done, but it's not my restaurant, my money, or my reputation on the line, and I don't work there day-in-day-out.

I'm not sure about Fat Guys statement that "the menu at Craft is now essentially a normal restaurant menu, with a little more choice than is normal." It is still a completely a la carte menu (oh, wait, I think he's talking about the fact that you used to be able to order the sauces a la carte too), with the exception of the Tasting Menu. The problem with tasting menus is that the entire table has to order them. I usually want the tasting menu, Jason almost never does. If the tasting menu appeals to your table then feel free to order it, if not, have everyone select an app, a main* and a side or two and share, share, share.

* If you are getting 2 sides per person, then it it not necessary to get a main per person, get 1 or two less. Leave room for dessert.

Edit: I'm an idiot and just realized your dinner was last night. How'd it go?

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Thank you all for the suggestions. First, I really like the room itself, it's ellegant but still relaxing.

Five of us ordered and shared:

Apps: Quail, Foie Grass, Hamachi, spinach salad. We thought there's nothing special about apps, except the quail that's pretty good.

Main: Skate (the best dish we tried), Sirloin, Lamb, Hanger steak, Ruby Red Shrimp. Everything is so-so.

Sides: Morrels mushroom (very good), carrots (okay) and asparagus (over burned).

Dessert: Chocolate souffle (good but Eleven Madison Park's is lots better), 2 of lemon panna cotta (not good, the custard is too rich and destroy the lemon), Roasted banana with caramel ice cream (nothing special).

On the way out, we saw people ordered tasting menu and looks better than what we ordered. I really like the restaurant to bring people for nice conversation but maybe order something else next time.

$30.03 at Craft seems awfully tempting. 

Craft is NOT participating in RW for dinner. Only for lunch.

Has anyone been to Craft for lunch during restaurant week? Please share... I'm dying to know what was on the menu.

"Our lives are not in the lap of the gods, but in the lap of our cooks."

-Lin Yutang, The Importance of Living, 1937

I went yesterday for the first time, and despite the small menu(2 choices for each course), was very impressed. Menu was as follows:

APPS:

-Duck Ham(fantastic)

-Mixed Lettuce

MAINS:

-Hangar Steak w/ Potato Puree(ordered it 'very rare,' cooked to perfection; both potatoes and steak were outstanding)

-Salmon w/ Sauteed Swiss Chard

DESSERT:

-Strawberry Shortcake

-Selection of Sorbets(coconut, mango, passionfruit?) w/ Shortbread Cookies(coconut was the highlight)

Yum... thanks for the post Staats15...

The Duck Ham was next on my list to try there anyway. maybe i can try to sneak in there on Friday.

"Our lives are not in the lap of the gods, but in the lap of our cooks."

-Lin Yutang, The Importance of Living, 1937

• 4 months later...

It seems kind of ironic. Just after talking here about my lousy table at Bouley, I made Thanksgiving Day reservations at Craft and I was asked if I had a particular place I wanted to sit. I don't know if they thought I was a regular (I never ate there), or if this is standard, but I was a bit taken aback by the question (pleasantly so). Is there a particular area that's preferrable? I told the reservationist an out of the way corner table sounded nice and she said they'd try to accomodate us.

i don't think it is normal that the reservationist ask you your seating preference, especially because they can't guarantee your choice. i do think it was nice of them to ask.

craft has that huge window facing the street and i personally don't enjoy either being gawked at by passersby or having car headlights flash at me in passing. so, that may be why they ask. if they had a view, it would be different :smile: .

enjoy your meal.

you seem to eat out reasonably often, you know the premise behind craft right? i had a friend eat there early on and she was a little disappointed because she wasn't mentally prepared for how the menu worked. however, she did enjoy the quality of the food.