• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Craft

yvonne johnson

any decent Indian restaurant sends up the food on hot metal dishes, and gives you warm plates on which to serve yourself.  Craft is nearly very good; if only it would shake off this last quirk.

At the premium charged, I would probably view cold plates as more than just a quirk. I would imagine that if it's consistently a problem there, they are well aware of it and should have solved it by now. Don't you agree?

M

They can't even get the bread warm, no less the plates!

Awbrig:

http://www.craftrestaurant.com/

However, it's a crappy site with no real information other than the mission statement. It seems that Tom Colicchio took a cue from Danny Meyer and hasn't bothered to do a good Web site. Then again Meyer's Blue Smoke site is okay, but his other restaurants don't have good sites. I think the Gramercy Tavern one isn't even online anymore. Pity.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The brioche toast came out warm and wrapped up. Since the regular bread was cold, my Beloved snaffled it to scoop up her foie gras. I read a French poem which mentioned foie gras yesterday, and it had been translated as "liver paste". Shudder.

Next time I have a planned dinner at a table at Craft, I plan to ask for hot plates. How difficult can that be?

• 2 months later...

Had dinner with a bunch of my old wine buddies last night and Craft laid out their usualy terrific chef's tasting menu for our table. And while the stalwarts like Hamachi and Terrine of Veal and Foie Gras (or was it rabbit last night?) were as good as usual, a couple of things warrant special mention. The raw Novia Scotia bay scallops were even better then they were a few months back. Like popping small pieces of candy in your mouth. That's how sweet they were. But the best thing in the meal was diver scallops the size of golf balls that were studded with jullienned black truffle that just came in from France. They were really dense and firm and packed with flavor. They were probably the best sea scallops I've had in this country and they were almost to the point of rivaling the ones I had at Arpege last January. And the truffles were surprisingly good considering how young the season is. Good crunch to them and lots of aromatics. They also served us some terrific and beautifully rare venison that was showered with fresh huckleberries from Washington State. And a bowl of Jerusalem Artichokes that were roasted until shriveled on the outside which made the skin a little chewy, but were completely soft and melt in your mouth inside were great.

For the wine curious among you we drank;

1967 Hugel Riesling V.T.

1983 Weinbach Gewurztraminer Capucines V.T.

$15 Botrysized Loire rose that a world famous wine importer brought

1990 Raveneau Chablis Valmur

1978 Roumier Bonnes Mares

1993 Henri Jayer Echezeaux

1953 Leoville Poyferre

And then we went to Bar Demi where we somehow managed to drink a 1990 Clos des Papes Chateauneuf-du-Pape.

Not a bad wine in the bunch. In fact they were all right on the money. And every wine seemed young. Even the '53 and '78 seemed like they had years and years left to them. Fortunately my hangover wasn't too bad this morning. :wink:

Hust curious, Steve. How many of you were there? Did you consume all of the wine?

As well as the huckleberries, was there any saucing of the venison?

ediot:

Look! I just can't spell "just"!

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Millbrook Farms venison from Upstate New York seems to be the most popular product among the high-end New York restaurants, though I don't know what any given place uses specifically.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Cabby - I'm uncomfortable but I'll do it for you :wub:.

The base meal was $130. We had bay scallops, tuna, hamachi, spanish mackeral, a squid salad along with chick peas and a mache salad. Then we had the veal/foie gras terrine, straight foie gras, duck ham, braised leeks (really delicious,) beet salad and celeriac. Then the diver scallops and red snapper both with jullienned truffles, mashed potatoes and parsnips. Then the venison with the Jersusalem artichokes and a plate with four types of roasted mushrooms. Cheese and we were so stuffed we passed on the desert course except for the ice cream and sorbet trays. It was tons of food. Then the trufffle supplement was $30. And the corkage is the same price per bottle and we had seven bottles. Do the math.

"SF joe",

what's up with your name, by the way -- do you permanently reside in san francisco? are you just haunting us here in new york? :cool:

good luck on finding millbrook meat retail. but did you know millbrook winery is owned by the williams-selyem people..... :hmmm: a colleague poured us off this W-S marsanne blend tonight, and it set off a bunch of trivia. but you probably aren't concerned with much new world trivia....... :raz:

SP's dinner sounds great, but does it strike any question with anyone the "fresh" Washington huckleberries? Huckleberry season was over about a month ago, they do freeze very well, but I would be skeptical if they said the hucks were fresh. I only bring this up because I live in Seattle and if I can get fresh huckleberries in December, I would love to know the source. :wub:

"SF joe",

what's up with your name, by the way -- do you permanently reside in san francisco?  are you just haunting us here in new york?  :cool:

but you probably aren't concerned with much new world trivia....... :raz:

Steve, thanks for the welcome.

Hey, Robert,

I've been SFJoe on the wine boards since I lived there years ago, and it seemed awkward to change names too often. I *am* out there quite a bit, so it's not completely misleading!

Ah, it's true, the NWT department ain't what it used to be. Mostly a price/value/changing style/changing palate issue for me. Not that I wouldn' t want to try a W-S Rhone white, if only for the triple obscurity points. :blink:

I'm now a slave to botrytized Loire rose'.

Steve, the venison had a bit more character than Cervena stuff from New Zealand. I don't mind a bit of gaminess, as long as the preparation is compatible. I keep trying to get my sister to let me cook reindeer for Christmas dinner, but so far no go. We have gotten as far as rack of venison for this year, so I'm trying out different sources.

Has anyone tried the Pennsylvania stuff that D'Artagnan sells?

You're not talking about that "Rose d'Anjou" stuff that Dressner sells are you?

Do you mean the Angeli? Or the stuff he brought, which is from a new producer, was it Griottes?

The Angeli last year was very ripe and a bit sweet, but I loved it. I thought the stuff he brought was pretty good, too.

.sasha still has a bottle of the Angeli standing up in the cage, maybe you should ask him to bring it next time. :shock: