• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The 22oz bottle of beer

lancastermike

I very rarely buy carry out beer but we ordered a pizza the other night and my wife said she would like a beer. I got the pie and told the guy I wanted beer to go. Did not want a six pack and a quart would have been to much. I was flummoxed to discover they had several beers in 22oz. bottles. I had never seen this before and wondering if any of you beer sharpies could clue me in. is it marketing or a good idea. For the brewers it may be a profit thing as the 22oz Yuengling was the same price as a quart, which my math tells me is 10oz more. Anyone else observed this? Just wondering about this as I am no longer in the biz and am WAY behind the curve on these issues

I know when I was planning on our own brewery, our talks with retailers led us to strongly consider the 22 oz. for a certain demographic - the college age beer fan. In the U.P., where we were going to do it, people are nuts for 22 oz. beers - e.g., Rogue's lineup - as they can't spring for a 6 pack of craft ale, but can for a 22 oz.

Paul

sorry - should specify for non-U.S. comrades - "da U.P." is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, a remote paradise of snow, big trees, and hearty folks.

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Market growth has shown substantial increased figures in the single-serve bottle and are offered as an alternative to the six pack. For the last few days I've been kicking around posting about Pyramid's Hefeweizen press release that appears on Happy Hours, but it appears to address this marketing question.

No stranger to wheat beers, Pyramid Breweries (then Hart Brewing Company) introduced Wheaten Ale in 1985—the first year-round wheat beer in America since Prohibition. Pyramid then pioneered the fruit beer category with its wheat-based Apricot Ale, the West Coast’s best-selling fruit beer. Today, sales of Pyramid Hefeweizen comprise 34 percent of the West Coast’s craft Hefeweizen category. The addition of 22-ounce bottles will help Pyramid Hefeweizen secure further representation in West Coast markets. Single serve bottles (which experienced industry-wide growth of 33 percent last year) are expected to create new opportunities for distribution and merchandising, while giving consumers an alternative to the six-pack.

Full press release here.

Pyramid Breweries, Inc.: http://www.pyramidbrew.com

Thanks to all, i should say that the place i was in sells tons of carry out to students at the college in our town, and in fact carry out beer makes them all rich. i do believe heineken was one of the beers offered. if it is meant as a singleserving i fear this will lead the students to abuse even more. They ain;t just havng one like my wife and i. one six pack equals 72 oz. 4 of those 22's is 88 and that is not good

Mike, booze and college students is indeed a problem - twas ever thus. But I think the marketing gurus were doing a public service, in a way. These kids can't afford a six pack of craft beer. But they can afford maybe one single serve. I don't think too many of the college students are buying 4 of the 22's (in truth, they're probably buying a 22 of Rogue Imperial IPA and a 30-pack of Goebbels, but that's another story).

Paul

Beans, nice link, thanks.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

I buy 22's all the time. Very handy for tasting craft beers that you don't want to invest a whole 6-pack in. Splits very well between two people using 10 oz glasses. Plus in my area it's the only way to get Stone Ruination so I pretty much HAVE to buy 'em :biggrin:

Paul,

I would agree but the thing offered at my local pizza place were,yuengling, bud, rolling rock and heineken, not a craft brew in that bunch. For me, one craft 22 would be great, but 22's of bud i can do without

Mike, agree on all counts, and must admit I'm stumped as to the cache/appeal. A step up from "40's?"

Paul

-Paul