• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign at local Indian store

Here is the sign from my favorite halal butcher

Wondering if goat brains taste any better than pork brains...My Grandmothers recipe for brains calls for beef/veal brains...pork brains just don't seem to be the same...and you can't seem to get beef brains anymore for love nor money...(Can you say Mad Cow?)

don't know about the comparative taste issue but the brain curry (goat as far as i know) at kake da dhaba on connaught circus in delhi was one of my faves as a kid. i haven't been there in almost 20 years--i wonder what its profile is now.

the old man is gone. his son runs it now. the brain curry was my fav too and is still on the menu. but like most places, either it is too expensive or scarce, it tends to be more 'masalla' than brain. tastes more like bhunooed onion and tomato with seasoning. the place is airconditioned and fancier now.As a kid I used to love going there with my father, who knew those folks from pre-partion Lahore and we got special treatment. Memories!

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Cafe Olympia, one of my favourite places at Colaba- Bombay used to misspell

Beef Mince Cutlets as Beef means cutlets. :biggrin:

I love the Chillia Biryani which is light and not too greasy and they have a decent caramel custard for Rs. 8 only.

Can we still get anything for Rs. 8. ... nice to hear that

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Well, my hubby (then boyfriend) and I would eat at this place almost once a month. My "gora" companion would get special treatment that I did not receive – a spoon to eat with, which of course he would promptly send back - he ate with his fingers adroitly much to the astonishment of the waiter

Edited by bague25 (log)