• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mel's New Bakery

melmck

Congratulations Mel. That's a major accomplishment. I've seen most places around here in Berkeley that don't last more than 6 months. It just goes to show you that hard work,dedication & great product will take you far.

You go, girl!

This has been an amazing journey from day one, and I've certainly enjoyed the ride (a lot more than you have at times, I'm sure...). I never doubted that you had the mental toughness to ride out the tribulations of the early days.

So here you are, one year in, the object of fawning admiration from the local press; attention from a national publication; and an integral part of a neighbourhood's daily life. What more could you ask for? ...well, I mean...aside from skilled staff, cash flow, and a few days off...y'know...

Happy anniversary from "Mrs. 'Dome" and I, and hopefully nothing else breaks for a little while...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

YEA MEL!

Congrats on your anniversary, you and your hubby and faithful staff and all your supportive friends have earned some real pride!

Best wishes and prosperity for Year 2!

Genny

Soon You'll have to change the title of the thread to Mel's Succseful Bakery instead of "New".

Congratulations, and I must ask are you doing anything special for the day? And what I mean is for the products, something specially made to celebrate the year. Maybe it could become a tradition whatever it is that you do you could do it annually.

Edited by chiantiglace (log)

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Congratulations! It's really a remarkable achievement, especially considering how much press/attention you've gotten. You seem poised on the verge of being really big, and you can be proud that it's mainly due to your hard work and determination.

Maybe to celebrate, you can take an hour or so off? Get a full night's sleep? Eat a meal sitting down?

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

It's almost midnight here, so it's still YOUR ANNIVERSARY out there in the West.

Congratulations!!! I've loved and enjoyed this thread; I've groaned and muttered with you, I've laughed and sympathized and craved those goodies and admired the beautiful perfection of your store and your art, I've read and rejoiced with you, I've wished destruction on any problems and pitfalls, and poo to cheapskates who want a discount.

Vicarious moments, through your words and pictures. You've found time to share with so many of us, and you literally have NO idea how many good wishes come your way today.

Thanks for being so generous with your time and your talents. One year down, 99 to go!!

BEST WISHES!!! :wub:

rachel

Congrats Mel. I hope you were able to enjoy the day - and the party. You deserve it.

When you have a chance let us know how the party went - was this an in-store thing with your customers or private?

Wow--Multiplied Congratulations on your First Anniversary!!

My toast to you this morning on the start of your second year,

"May each succeeding year be better."

(clink, clinkclinkclinkclinkclink etc. of the coffee cups* to the computer screens across the planet)

"TO CRIOLLO'S"

:laugh::biggrin:

*coke cans, beer bottles, water/wine glasses, champagne flutes etc etc etc)

Edited by K8memphis (log)

We had a nice BBQ for family, employees and friends who helped us get here. Nice weather, crazy kids running around. Instead of a cake to celebrate I made berry & cherry shortcakes. I am so happy about yummy fruit, I have rhubarb, berries and Bing/Van cherries in everything!

My family had the Food & Wine article mounted/framed beautifully for me to hang in the bakery, along with a card that everyone scattered across the country signed for me. :wub: very,very nice.

Goals for year 2:

pay myself

go to Hawaii (see the in-laws) lay on beach and eat shave ice

make better stuff all the time

expand savory menu items

there are other secret goals which will reveal themselves when the time is right....

Melissa McKinney

Chef/Owner Criollo Bakery

mel@criollobakery.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody!

It has been quite a year, and now comes the time to say farewell to this here blog. You have seen through my eyes the first year of business- it's still hard to believe, it went so fast! It is also hard to believe how many views this blog has had. Over 40,000! (Not too shabby!)

Throughout the ups and downs of my new life as a business owner I've spilled my guts to the world. I hope that I have shown what it takes to pull off 'Starting A New Bakery' . What makes me feel the best is when people say "You must be doing something right' or "EVERYTHING is fabulous. Everything!"

It is very easy to be self-critical, damn pastry chef habits-it's never good enough. A customer looks at the display case ands says 'wow, it's all so beautiful' I look and see that the sides aren't perfectly smooth on the cake, the berries are starting to droop, and someone has smooshed the whipped cream on the pie. sheesh! The work never ends.

I have learned so much from this last year. About business, about people, products, myself, blogs.

I work like a madwoman because I do love it. Like chefpeon says in a recent post, we'll never get paid what we're worth. But if we worked some boring office job and couldn't play with our food we would be miserable. We are a sick and twisted bunch and that's how I like it.

Thanks to all -for your support during this bakery bootcamp. It's been great to meet some of you, bake for some of you and establish online relationships.

Thanks to Steve KLC for approaching me with the idea in the first place! and to everyone at eGullet for this fun opportunity.

Contact me personally at mel@criollobakery.com or send PM's through eG.

I'll be around, you know where to find me...

Best regards,

Melissa McKinney

Melissa McKinney

Chef/Owner Criollo Bakery

mel@criollobakery.com

Bravo Mel. A beautiful production with heart, grit, finesse and sass. I laughed with you, I cried for you. I'm proud of your accomplishment and I feel I have had a chance to get to know you.

My heartfelt appreciation for the blood, sweat and tears you have allowed us to view.

Bravissimo!

See you around on the boards!

Genny

It's been a great ride, and thanks for letting us into your life. I know how much commitment it took for you to keep us "in the loop," with everything you had going on. I'm sure this thread represents a whoooooole bunch of sorely-needed lost sleep!

Thanks for sharing.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning