• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mel's New Bakery

melmck

:shock: Did I say sleep? Cuz I meant work, fingers to bone. Read previous threads, peeps, so I don't have to keep retyping this,

Criollo Bakery

4727 NE Fremont

Portland, OR 97213

I have been very insanely busy with little time to pop in here and write. I have 10 interviews lined up within 3 days. A stack of resumes 3" thick to go through. Stupid fricken merchant services bastards to fight off. Vultures swarming above to separate me from my dwindling money. Did you know hou have to pay a fee every year just to run a bakery? What the hell, let's make up some more fees, taxes and dues.

I have been painting, staining;oiling my tabletops that just came back looking like new. Except the big one, (4'X12') got stuck in the planer when it hit metal. A washer embedded in the wood. Whoops. So now that will cost more too.

Here's a major gripe, vendors/vultures who assume that because you are a new business owner, that you are stupid and gullible. I have become exceedingly curt and bitchy to people who are wasting my time right now. I even had to hang up on someone who was yelling at me for not accepting their merchant service! Also really weird dudes who drop by selling this cleanser or that. and soft drink machines if you'll only be so proud to carry this water flavored with corn syrup, color and artficial flavor!!! Oh yeah, that's what I'm all about.(I am a staunch micro-brewed root beer fanatic...ummm...rooot beeer)

A few days ago I still felt fine about my time line, now it feels like an insane push to make it happen. Lots of threads runnin' around the old duder's head. The thing that keeps me happy and positive is how much support I've received from the 'hood, even though they haven't even seen what I am going to wow them with. Just goes to show how desperately this area needs my bakery. I am almost scared that it will not just be really busy and hectic, duh, but can't-keep-up busy.. This is actually my fantasy. That and a line out the door with people trampling each other to get to my goods. Let the pastry riot begin!

PS- accountant is new best friend, worship him!

Melissa McKinney

Chef/Owner Criollo Bakery

mel@criollobakery.com

Been reading your posts and having a great time relating experiences in opening a place.

I've successfully remodeled and opened about 9 places (general contractor) and all I have to say is, you're on the right track. Demo'ing to an empty shell is the fun part, like you, I’m still amazed how shit gets passed the health inspector. I can give you some horror stories but I’m sure you have enough of them of your own to keep you up at night.

When I did the two places in Portland, Boxer was pretty good to us as an equipment supplier, ask for the guy that's across the street in his little office, he's the head of the used equip. leasing, he treated us right. The other places have been kinda iffy. That's all I can think of in my sleep deprived slumber to help you :blink: , oh, one more thing.

For the love all things Jacques Torres (my personal pastry god :wub: ), do NOT, I repeat for added quadraphonic effect, NOT open your store before -everything- is complete. I've seen so many failures of great places just because people got a less then stunning first impression of the place, and that killed any word of mouth :angry: . We all know opening a place is a long term investment but killing off any chance of money right off the bat would be stupid, and we don’t want to be known to be stupid correct? :wink:

So it's cheaper to spend a month's lease on a place to make sure it's perfect then to screw up potential revenue that could easy be made in one day in sales you would have lost otherwise. :hmmm: The temptation is more then that trying not to drink that last shot of tequila but you have to fight it. :wacko:

And with those wise words of wisdom, I’m going to bed, night!

Isaac Bentley

Without the culinary arts, the crudeness of the world would be unbearable. - Kate & Leopold

Welcome Painting, watch out you'll get addicted to this thread. She's been stringing us out now as she gets more and more busy. I hope for your success but I'm going to miss your posts melmck.

I wanted to relate the same thoughts Painting shared. At my meger attempt to partner with an newer bakery.........I found their frugalness definately hurt their first opinions from shoppers. You mentioned before that you find it painful to see you money wasted............but I hope you will consider how good and important Painting points are.

You don't get do-overs on first impressions.

The other crud you mentioned..........just wait until your doors are open and the vultures start begging for donations. Somethings are worth doing, but most that I've known weren't and didn't bring in any decent business. How about those coupon mailers...............sure, if you want the cheapest consumers out there.

Wow. I feel so offically welcomed now, I have to stay and umm, read threads! yes, I must do this. I'm compelled even. :biggrin: I have to give credit to tharrison for showing me this thread and forcing myself to get an account just so I could use the new post tracker thingie :cool:

I should put a disclaimer though on myself, I've dealt with mainly fast food and the whole "lunch crowd" demographic. So you may have reasons to hate me just for that reason alone :shock: So, I may not be a pastry chef, but i have a good friend that is... Does that redeem me? :raz: Not to mention tharrison is totally kick ass soon-to-be chef in the making. :blush:

umm, yeah, enough about me, lets start a riot until Mel comes back to tell us all the sexy details she hinted too in her last post :biggrin:

Isaac Bentley

Without the culinary arts, the crudeness of the world would be unbearable. - Kate & Leopold

rest assured mon amis, although I gripe about my precious dollars and cents, I am indeed taking my time in opening. I want everything in it's place and done correctly, and am paying rent already in order to do so. It really killed me cutting that rent check knowing that I should be the one getting paid for turning an old piece of crap into a spotless, sleek, well-designed and gorgeous new bakery. Oh well. I know she will pay off. Damn you working capital!! Damn you! One thing I am not too worried about is a ramp-up period, this baby is going to hit the ground running. This shit is definitely scary. It takes elaphantitis-sized balls. Luckily, I possess such balls. okay, 10 million things to do today, gotta blow.

;) MEL

Melissa McKinney

mel@criollobakery.com

It takes elaphantitis-sized balls. Luckily, I possess such balls.

The great thing about being a woman is they're metaphorical, so you don't need a wheelbarrow to carry 'em around.

:cool: <====Chromedome, husband of seriously ballsy woman

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Okay, Chrome-dome I just about pissed myself laughing there. I needed a laugh.

Yesterday was a really REALLY bad day. I wanted to kill everyone in sight and the whole day was a disastrous, expensive nightmare. Skyrocketing costs are seriously pissing me off. I felt like I got kicked square in those metaphorical balls! by twelve people! at once! with steel-toe boots! today was fine, peachykeen. I had a great day. No one said "you will develop manic-depression as a business owner!" it's, as they say- whack.

lots of interviews going down in between coats of paint, chasing down the mail carrier becuz they shove my mail under the door then run away, instead of handing it to me and just maybe seeing if I have outgoing mail. Bastards! I will go postal. HA HA. I met some people who have been reading this, weird. it's all so cerebral when there are just words to read, but meeting someone felt like I got busted or something.

brain just fried. blew a fuse like all of my stupid electric boxes have been doing all day. :wacko:

Melissa McKinney

mel@criollobakery.com

Whenever you're having one of those seriously bad days, just remember there's a boatload of people out here in cyberland (and the read world) pulling for you. Who can't wait to see you succeed. Are waiting with baited breath for pictures of your finished store. Who wish they weren't clear across the country and therefore can't be your first customer!

I want to repeat something someone else said upthread... Don't open until you are really ready to roll. Jason and I went to a new sushi restaurant on their opening day, and I thought they did a great job. The waitresses knew the menu, the place was fully decorated, not to mention the food was fab. As a result we've been recommending the place personally and on eGullet. Whereas, if it weren't so perfect we'd hold off posting until after a second visit.

GO MEL! GO MEL! GO MEL!

thank you for this thread melmck... i shall take this as a sign. coincidently i may follow in your foot steps with minimal preparation. just bcuz it's a great deal... an existing semi-profitable (ie. covers costs/salaries) coffeeshop and an adjacent storefront that has come available for cheap in an area that has nothing besides hungry people.

i wish i could visit... or even see before and after photos. how bout creating a website for us, in your spare time? :raz:

best of luck!

how bout creating a website for us, in your spare time? :raz:

You obviously have a sick, evil sense of humour.

I like that.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Criollo Bakery

4727 NE Fremont

Portland, OR 97213

Mel,

How about putting your business address in your signature, so we don't have to scroll through a bunch of old messages to find it?

The difference between theory and practice is much smaller in theory than it is in practice.

I am taking digi pics but haven't time to organize yet. Programmer husband is doing the website, and supposed to do a signature for me too. It's on his list of 350,000 things to do besides work all day at his job, work all night at the bakery, take care of 2 big dogs. Sheesh! we'll get all our shit together soon, dear readers.

:) Mel

Melissa McKinney

mel@criollobakery.com

Dumb-assery: here's the fun and stupid things I did today. One is so stupid I can't even type it, and is my old man ever pissed.

I don't have time to even stop and eat any more. I've lost 10 # since starting the bakery renovations, and am getting buff and tight.(underneath the rest of the fat, that is) so when you are tired and weak from hunger, you typically become a dumbass. so this Ukrainian guy is painting outside, it's hot out, he doesn't understand a word of English.I'm trying to make him understand I need the exterior lights spray painted. Nope, nothing is sinking in. so I jump up on his ladder and we have a strange awkward roof. I proceed to dangle my body precariously out over the building in order to spray. a nail that is sticking up jabs me in the liver.(well, practically) at this point all contents of my overstuffed pockets which are always full of tools, go tumbling out` . I finish up, then have to get up a really tall rickety ladder and balance on one toe while unscrewing bulbs and sprayin. Later, when we are exhausted I can't find my keys. Where are the keys? I recall something on the roof going clinkety clink. The guy with the ladder is gone, my husband is looking at me like I am the biggest idiot he's ever come across. I feel like one, too. Yep, I left my keys ON THE ROOF...

Melissa McKinney

mel@criollobakery.com

Thank heaven it was nothing more serious...you could have fallen off the roof

Slow down. Take a day off and relax...get some sleep and some serious pampering. Don't even feel guilty about it.

You'll go back with twice the energy and efficiency, and more than make up for the time you took off.

You are the bakery. You need maintenance as well. Its no good if the buidings finished, but you are broken....

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Slow down. Take a day off and relax...get some sleep and some serious pampering. Don't even feel guilty about it.

take it easy?

I really hate to break it to you but starting up a store has no place for resting on one's henie. Like Mel is doing, you have to push and push and breathe! *hee hee hee* push!

umm, sorry, that was a really bad joke.

anyways, I rather see her going insane from working hard and striving to get her dream come to life then having her drinking a mojito because it failed. I never seen a lazy, undriven pastry chef, I bet she lives for this sort of stuff :wacko:

Edited by Painting (log)

Isaac Bentley

Melmck probably does live for crazy hard work. But I really do agree with jackal about taking care of yourself. It's pretty typical for bakery owners to work so hard they ignore their physical and mental health. I do understand the push and the why she pushes herself so hard...........but I think it's a mistake not to take some personal time to breath. Life starts to get very unbalanced and it becomes not worth it eventually.

Loosing 10 pounds is not good unless it's through diet and expercise, not starving yourself. You can get your body rather screwed up and before you know it it holds onto every calorie you take in, cause it thinks it's in starvation mode. You also might be driving your hubby crazy, I've seen it happen (and been pretty guilty of it myself when I'm in overdrive)! It puts distance between the two of you and thats not good for both of your mental health, yet alone marriage. Fighting between you happens more frequently under this strain and it's just the cherry on top of a shit sundae.

I know you won't take my or others advice melmck, but I really do hope you'll supprise us and take 1 day off to rebalance. Sometimes we get in the "it's got to get done" mode and beleive we can't slow down until everything is done. But it's never completely done.

yes, indeed, I am driven and maniacal about my bakery. So is hubby. it's a permanent adrenaline rush, a Saturday night with 250,000 covers --every day. It is crazy hard work, and I have new-found respect for business owners on so many levels. When you are an employee, you have blinders on and just want a little recognition for hard work and an occasional 50 cent raise that never comes. Of course if greedy owners didn't take from the top right away, maybe it would...

Marital stress ? naturally ! it's like getting-married-stress + buying-a-house stress all rolled in to one. We do laugh a lot, frequently from insanity and inhaling way too much adhesive, caulk, sealant, paint, oils, thinners. We put up FRP panels today, what a fucking pain that is. And while I'm holding the gooky stuff up, it slips, slashes my palm open and quickly combines adhesive and blood.

The exterior was painted this weekend, I did not do this myself, although I had planned to. I can't break my arms off before I have to frost cakes! Instead of a hideous salmon color, the building is now glossy chocolate brown .

it is my husbands birthday today, and the poor guy has a cold and is working his ass off in the bakery. So I finally said, FUCK IT, let's quit and knock off early. which we did and I promptly took a nap with my pup laying over my legs.

I desparately need a spa day. (or a serious trip to Breitenbush for you NW folk.) I will do this B4 I open.

A friend of mine just opened a restaurant 2 weeks ago, we call each other and just sort of groan across the line.. We don't need to say a word. Unspoken language of the crazy chefs. It's like doin' time together.

Melissa McKinney

mel@criollobakery.com

I am soon to be working as a relief baker at a recently opened artisan bakery and was amazed to find out what the owner has been doing this past year. This town was in dire need of a bakery so it has become very busy but she is the only baker. She has been baking all the bread, etc, for 6 to 7 days a week for the past year. She had a very successful restaurant before this and works very hard. I know if I had my own business that is what I would be doing, too, as I am a hard worker but I would also see burnout on the horizon. I guess that's why she hired me, huh!?

It's important to take a some time for yourself before your body makes you do it! :blink: I love Breitenbush for that reason!! The non-profit I've been toiling at for the past five years takes a yearly retreat there and the stress just melts away!!

I have been doing interviews like a MOFO, have 90% of my hiring done. The kitchen, once a disgusting hellhole is now clean & pristeen, with shiny new stuff everywhere. Since this is my kitchen, and I will be producing in it, I wanted the tools to make my life easier. There are some shiny new toys in there, a Moffat convection oven, Viking mixer and lots of measuring devices and scales. I like having all of my ingredients laid out before me, instead of washing out that one measuring pitcher over and over. Like so many cheap ass places I've been before. I hope you all know that Coscto has the best price in the world on Metro racks . needless to say I have had less time to write and little inspiration. I am 3 weeks away from opening. !!!!! that feels like tomorrow for me. I am so busy I do not have time to think feel absorb, Eye Of The Tiger, baby just keep pushin to get these doors open and bring in some cash to pay for all of this!!!!!

Edited by melmck (log)

Melissa McKinney

mel@criollobakery.com