• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Please Translate This! Help with Foreign Language Recipes, Culinary Terms, Labels

tan319

No. I constantly beg, borrow and steal the time of friends and neighbors who do. I described Philippe's book that way for you guys because with a book like Adria or Balaguer, even in Spanish and even if you don't read Spanish, it still was a very worthwhile purchase--those books are much more extensive, with lots of recipes, have numerous inspirational photographs (even the photographs make you think differently) and they're designed for professionals in a kind of professional shorthand that you can work from. Adria and Balaguer are not sensitive and poetic in their technical books--whereas the little Philippe books is more personal, and it has a lot of meaning in a little package, which isn't surprising since Philippe is very sensitive. I, personally, find it inspirational, I knew what he was saying even if I couldn't read it (if you know what I mean) but others might not find it so valuable without help.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Thanks for the clarification, steve.

I've got to get it :biggrin:

I don't know if it was the Thuríes mag, reading Louisa's FFN blog at around the same time or Sinclairs French rant, but last week at work I was roasting pistachios and melting a chocolate/butter mixture and coming back downstairs to my 'dungeon', I was overwhelmed by these smells and it brought back all of these memories of working at Lion D'or with this really good French pastry chef, of being in France going into pastry shops and it brought back to me how much all of that means to me.

You know how it smells of dairy and sugar and vanilla when you're doing a creme anglaise?

I used to make a gallon of it and pastry cream every other day when I was apprenticing with that chef and it never ceases to amaze me with these deja vu memories.

An awesome feeling.

This Conticini stuff is doing that to me.

I made the tuile de pisatche recipe today, letting it rest overnight.

I'll let you guys know how it turned out.

I made my own pistachio paste this morning too.

PS: Not letting the Spanish stuff go by the wayside.

I'm devouring my copy of the 'Bulli '98/02 book, waiting for my working cdrom from them...

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

• 4 months later...

:biggrin::blink: please join in to put your bit for translating the various names in and from other indian langues to our english :wub:

porial, subji or dry vegetable side dish

avial liquid with steamed and flavoured vegetables

thoghaiyal .. or bharta is a slurry made of vegetables usually for eg. eggplant

kadi curry curry curry...

tarka, tadka, .... ?? not named in english but may be called super flavouring of the dish with spices either beginning with or at the final part of preparation of ( porial, avial, ...curry etc)

then spices like :

jeera, zeera or cumin...

milagai chilli :wink:

:laugh: please help me here the list will be too exausting otherwise :huh::huh::laugh:

Edited by Geetha (log)

please help with your know how in bengali, gujarati, malayalam, punjabi, sindhi, tamil, telgu, any other language I dont yet remember marathi, kashmiri, urdu, oriya, kannada, srilankan :)), rajasthani, hindi thats all for now please.

Here are some bengali names (relatively) uncommon foodstuff.

Left side is the Bengali name. Right hand side is the scientific/english/chinese/vietnamese variations.

Pui Shak = Vietnamese Spinach, Malabar Spinach, Ceylon Spinach, Saan Choy, Alogbati, Mong Tou

Notey Shak = Amaranth, Chinese Spinach, Hiyu, Hon-Toi-Noi, Yin Choy, Hsien Tsai

Kochu = Taro

Kolmi Shak = Water Spinach, Swamp Spinach, Ung Choy, Long Green, Kangkong, Tangkong, On Choy

Jhinghe = ridged gourd, Luffa acutangula, Chinese Okra, Silk Squash, Sing Gua.

Chichinge = snake gouurd, serpent gourd, Chichinda(hindi), Trichosanthes anguina, Trichosanthes cucumerina anguina,

Aanshphol = Longan, Euphoria Longan

• 2 weeks later...

So, I went to the store today, and they actually had PASSION FRUIT! It was the first time I have seen them at the regular grocery store, but this particular store has started carrying slightly more exotic produce lately, so I was really excited.

Anyway, I have also been on a jam making spree, and although I was really searching for a plain passion fruit jam online (which I never did find, if anyone has one, I would be so happy!), I ran across this banana and passion fruit jam recipe which looked interesting. Unfortunately, some of the amounts are...well, out of my league. Can anyone help me translate to something a home cook could use? I do have a scale, if necessary (although not digital).

Thanks so much!

BANANA PASSION-FRUIT JAM

1 kilogramme bananas

5 fresh passion-fruits

0,05 litre lemongin

500 gramme jellysugar

Halve the passion-fruits and ladle out the pulp and seed and put it in a

pan.

Mash the bananas and add the lemongin and jellysugar.

Bring all together.

Bring to the boil and cook for one minute (bubble).

Keep stirring.

Keep the jars cool and dark.

Keeping qualities: 4 months

1 kilogram bananas = 2.2 lbs

0.05 litre lemon gin = 50 ml = 0.21 US cup = scant 1/4 US cup

500 grams jelly sugar = 1.1 lbs

lemon gin = In North America at least, this is gin that's been flavoured with lemon peel/oil/etc. Seagram's makes one.

jelly sugar = Not sure but I suspect this is just fine granulated white sugar.

a kilogram is 2.2 pounds

0,05 liters is approx 3 tablespoons and a teaspoon

500 grammes is about 17 and 1/2 ounces (a little more than a pound)

lemongin will be next to impossible to find in the states

this jam will taste infinitely of bananas, if that's what you want.

otherwise, i have a nice recipe for peach and passionfruit jam, but not just plain passionfruit.

3# fresh peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped

6 cups sugar

juice of one lemon

10 fresh passionfruits, pureed

sprinkle the peaches with half the sugar and allow to macerate overnight. bring the sugared peaches to a boil and then simmer about 15 minutes or until the peaches are tender. add the reamaining sugar and other ingredients. bring to a boil again and boil until mixture begins to set (about an hour or so). ladle into jars and process.

I found this spreadsheet on an artisan-baking site. If you enter the original recipe into the "basic meth" section, you can then use the "scaling" feature to reduce the recipe to a size you're comfortably with. I'd say that the passionfruit are probably your most-limited ingredient, so perhaps use them in lieu of flour as the "100% ingredient" to scale from.

If you live anywhere near the Canadian border, lemon gin is not hard to find at liquor stores here. Otherwise, perhaps just infuse whatever neutral spirit you have with some lemon zest.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Hmm...now that I know that the bananas are going to be the overwhelming flavor, I'm not as excited about this recipe. I may still give it a shot, but I was definitely hoping to highlight the passionfruit flavor. I was planning on making another banana jam, anyway.

I may give the peach recipe a try, since peaches are in season right now. When the recipe says 10 passion fruits, pureed, does that mean just the inner pulp, juice, and seeds, or the whole thing?

I also found a passion fruit strawberry jam recipe that I may try.

ANy other passion fruit jam recipes would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much for your help!

amccomb: Per your request [("although I was really searching for a plain passion fruit jam online (which I never did find, if anyone has one, I would be so happy!)"], you may order jars of passion-fruit jam from either of these online vendors:

http://www.thequickgourmet.com/hafrpr.html

http://www.agroworld.com/preserves.htm

Should you proceed to making your own passion-fruit preserves, make sure that the fruit is well-shriveled & wrinkled. That appearance indicates that the fruit is ripe and ready to consume. If they're not ready, simply ripen them at room temp., uncovered, out of direct sunlight. To prepare, cut in half crosswise, and scoop out the pulp & seeds w/ a spoon. 10 or 12 passion fruits should yield about 1 cup of pulp.

Be sure you have enough of them on hand to provide the amount of pulp the recipe requires. For example, to make a sorbet, you'll need 2 cups of pulp for a 1-cup each sugar-&-water proportion. (Please note: lemon juice is not added to either kiwi or passionfruit sorbets!) I once made a passionfruit filling for a cake. Twice I've baked soufflés, using the purchased (Dewlands-brand) juice. A mousse made w/ this fruit would be appealling, too.

Edited by Redsugar (log)

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

I don't want to sound 'wise' here, but your post mentions "Jellysugar", is everyone aware that this product is not just common sugar, but sugar that contains 'proper' amounts of Pectin, which in turn will 'jell' you jams/marmelades/jellies.

I know it is available in Europe, is it available in the US ?

Peter

Curds keep about a month or so in the fridge so they're not something you can make a long time ahead for gifts. If I'm making them for Christmas gifts I do it a week or so before Christmas and put a 'use by' date on them. I don't have a recipe handy but I think there's one in Sherry Yard's book and there's definitely one in Nigella Lawson's 'How to be a Domestic Goddess'.

• 8 months later...

While shopping at my favorite Mexican market, I picked up a copy of Cocina Fácil, a Mexican food magazine.

Although I can read Spanish well enough to follow the recipes, there a couple of ingredients that I don't recognize.

What is pulpo de cerdo. I know it's pork but pulpo?

Also what are chiles catarino? Have never heard of this one either.