• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 12/16/2008 at 1:11 AM, Batard said:

The restaurant is probably run by Cantonese, most Chinese in the US are from that region of China, Shandong.

I know this is 11 years old, but I just spotted it while looking for something else, so just in case anyone is misled, the Cantonese most  definitely don't come from Shandong! It's geographically similar to saying Texans are  from New York!

I think @Batardmeant Guangdong (although Cantonese speaking people are also found In Hong Kong and southern Guangxi). It was true in the past that most immigrants were Cantonese (no longer) and Cantonese cuisine is seldom spicy, though.

ETA: Never did find what I was looking for!

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 12/16/2008 at 1:11 AM, Batard said:

The restaurant is probably run by Cantonese, most Chinese in the US are from that region of China, Shandong.

I know this is 11 years old, but I just spotted it while looking for something else, so just in case anyone is misled, the Cantonese most  definitely don't come from Shandong! It's geographically similar to saying Texans are  from New York!

I think @Batardmeant Guangdong (although Cantonese speaking people are also found In Hong Kong and southern Guangxi). It was true in the past that most immigrants were Cantonese (no longer) and Cantonese cuisine is seldom spicy, though.