• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delivery Pizza in Alexandria/Arlington?

While certainly not up to the standards of Two Amys, Pizza Paradiso, etc., I've found the best delivery pizza in Alexandria to be Monterey's. It a small shop off Route 1 in North Old Town. I'm not sure how far they deliver, but I think it is most of Old Town Alexandria and parts of Arlington.

Also, while not available for delivery, you can get a pie to go from the Italian Store in Arlington. I've found their white pizza and plain cheese to be quite good.

David

Hesitant to say that this is a "recommendation", consider it more just information delivery.

Bugsy's (King Street near the river) delivers a pie that is edible.

Not great, but a considerable step above Domino's.

Not a fan of Monterey's.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Bugsy's can be pretty decent, but often the cheese has the consistency of thick shrink wrap.

I haven't been to that pink place lately-- whatchamacallit, oh yeah, Generous George's. I thought it was okay a couple of years ago. Not sure if they deliver-- perhaps through takeout taxi.

I hate to say it, but I typically order from Pizza Boli's. It's at least better than Domino's.

I've found Monterrey's pies can be too soggy, though they seem to be trying at least with some decent toppings.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I don't think Generous George's delivers. Neither does Monroe's Trattoria, but they have good pizza and they do have carry-out. Since they are only about 3 minutes from my house, sometime I will call them up, order a pizza, and go down and sit at the bar and have a brewski while waiting for the pizza.

I haven't tried the pizza at the Italian Store, but Gourmet Pizza Deli/Lost Dog Cafe on Washington Boulevard in Arlington has really, really good pizza and delivers within a small radius. Even if you're outside their delivery range, it's worth a visit nevertheless. Plus, they have a very wide selection of beer available by the bottle or on tap in the cafe, and good milkshakes.

Yeah -- Gourmet Pizza was great when I lived in Arlington years ago. Glad to hear that they're still going. I think they also deliver beer from their extensive list.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

I haven't tried the pizza at the Italian Store, but Gourmet Pizza Deli/Lost Dog Cafe on Washington Boulevard in Arlington has really, really good pizza and delivers within a small radius. Even if you're outside their delivery range, it's worth a visit nevertheless. Plus, they have a very wide selection of beer available by the bottle or on tap in the cafe, and good milkshakes.

Lost dog is pretty good and they have a lot of different pizza choices but it can be kind of pricey and is better to eat in. It gets a little soggy delivered because they take a long time to get it to you. Between the two, I prefer Italian Store, but they don't deliver.

There is an Italian Restaurant in Crystal City called Tutto Italiano that makes great pizza and they deliver (I am sure they have a delivery radius, but when I lived in the Rosemont section of Alexandria, they delvered).

There is an Italian Restaurant in Crystal City called Tutto Italiano that makes great pizza and they deliver (I am sure they have a delivery radius, but when I lived in the Rosemont section of Alexandria, they delvered).

I've had theirs. It never gets delivered hot, though. I always have to reheat it on my stone in the oven...and honestly, that makes it taste even better.