• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mallomars on hiatus

menton1

A public service announcement for those who have a "jones" for them:

Mallomar season is coming to a close around the end of this month. :sad:

Stock up while you can...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Yes, I am also a Mallomar junkie, and have known for years about the summer hiatus. But I'm curious, what do you pay for them?

In New York, I have seen them for 2/$5.00 (at Fairway) up to $4.99 (Gristedes) for one package. I'm curious what the rest of the country pays for one of the best cookies in the States. (No, Pinwheels are not a substiute.)

Emma Peel

Yes, I am also a Mallomar junkie, and have known for years about the summer hiatus.  But I'm curious, what do you pay for them?

In New York, I have seen them for 2/$5.00 (at Fairway) up to $4.99 (Gristedes) for one package.  I'm curious what the rest of the country pays for one of the best cookies in the States.  (No, Pinwheels are not a substiute.)

I can't get them here in Toledo! My dad has to bring them when he comes to visit. After my daughter was born, he brought about 6 boxes. Those lasted about 3 days. :biggrin:

My next baby is due end of August - I'm thinking they will still be on hiatus?? :sad:

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Not surprised that 70% are sold in the northeast. I remember them fondly growing up in New Jersey.

In southern California, now, only place I've ever seen them is Gelson's; seventeen locations... Calabasas, Century City, Dana Point, Encino, Irvine, Marina del Rey, Newport Beach, North Hollywood, Northridge, Pacific Palisades, Pasadena, Santa Barbara, Sherman Oaks, Silverlake/Los Feliz, Tarzana, West Hollywood, and Westlake Village, as well as one Mayfair Market location in Hollywood.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

• 9 months later...

latest article on Mallomars from NYT

To keep Mallomars from going soft in warm weather, the factory halts production in March and resumes in September, but it takes time for them to make it to store shelves. There are those who wax poetic about Mallomars during the off-season, and those who say the seasonal schedule is behind the times.  Or maybe the problem is the pure chocolate. "If they can produce chocolate that can survive in Saudi Arabia, why don't they do that with Mallomars?" asked Richard J. S. Gutman, the director of the Culinary Archives & Museum at Johnson & Wales University in Providence,
:hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread to see if anyone has ever tried these:

http://www.darefoods.com/usa-en/products/c...nal/index.shtml

Do they stand a chance in comparison with Mallomars? I have relatives back east this weekend acting as cookie mules for me (bringing back Social Teas, rainbow cookies....hopefully Thomas' Toast-R-Cakes) and as there's limited luggage space, I don't want to waste it on 'inferior' product! THanks in advance....

Reviving an old thread to see if anyone has ever tried these:

http://www.darefoods.com/usa-en/products/c...nal/index.shtml

Do they stand a chance in comparison with Mallomars?  I have relatives back east this weekend acting as cookie mules for me (bringing back Social Teas, rainbow cookies....hopefully Thomas' Toast-R-Cakes) and as there's limited luggage space, I don't want to waste it on 'inferior' product!  THanks in advance....

In a word, no. I tried them and didn't like them. It was awhile ago when I had them, but if I recall the cookies were a little crispier, and the marshmallow wasn't as sweet (or was it too sweet?). Just not the same. Hold out for the real thing.

Actually, the closest thing that ever came close is Metropolitan Bakery's Metromars, chocolate cookie with marshmallow and enrobed in pure chocolate. Sorry folks, only available in Philly.

Ummm...Social Teas...dunked in milk...

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

• 6 months later...

Reviving this old thread. . . . :biggrin:

OMG, last week I found Mallomars on sale at Wal-Mart here in Hawaii!!! I haven't had them since I was a kid. . . I knew about their seasonality but never realized they were so much a New York thing and unavailable in much of the rest of the country. (I'd better buy a second freezer before spring!)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

• 2 years later...

...and they are back in the supermarkets as of this past wednesday. .99 at shoprite with 10.00 in other food - hey, i had to do my biweekly shop anyway. now johnnybird is enjoying them, trying to call in the broadwing hawks and bald eagles...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 8 years later...
On 9/18/2010 at 6:39 PM, suzilightning said:

...and they are back in the supermarkets as of this past wednesday. .99 at shoprite with 10.00 in other food - hey, i had to do my biweekly shop anyway. now johnnybird is enjoying them, trying to call in the broadwing hawks and bald eagles...

ditto, except minus the broadwing hawks and bald eagles...9 years later.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites