• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mallomars on hiatus

menton1

As soon as the warm weather is imminent, Mallomars cookies disappear from the grocery shelves. It is really amazing, but I guess even modern technology can't keep these beauties in good condition in the warmer weather. I know there are other chocolate cookies, but these seem to be the only ones that disappear until October.

Is this true in all parts of the country? I am speaking about the Northeast US here--

What do you do for a replacement?

i was gonna say piunwheels, but it's the same deal.

apparently there are marshmallow twirls that have a heat resistant chocolate coating you can by in their place.

a heat resistant chocolate coating

My, my, that does sound appetizing indeed! :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Actually, what's been said is correct. True Mallomars are seasonal due to the warm weather. They apparently don't ship well in the heat of summer.

Here's an essay from someone else explaining the love of Mallomars:

Click

They're a New York thing. Seventy percent of all Mallomars sold are sold in metropolitan New York. And they're seasonal, available only from October to mid-March, because they are such delicate flowers they would melt in the harsh spring and summer months. News of the wonders of refrigeration and climate control has apparently not reached Nabisco's New Jersey headquarters.

Edited to add I found two Mallomar recipes on the web site for Kraft (who bought out Nabisco):

Mallomar Sticky Buns (no I ain't making this up)

Mallomar Cheesecake (1 reviewer gave it 5 stars)

:laugh:

Edited again to add the bit about Kraft now owns Nabisco

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

i guess that explains why i can't get mallomars down here. not that i ever ate them up north.

so they've got a graham cracker cookie? pinwheels have chocolate cookies. and a hole in the middle.

How bad is your "jones" for Mallomars? Hmmm?

Worth paying a ridiculous amount for 3 boxes of Mallomars in an online auction?

:laugh:

edited to add that you can find them for sale online...some at a ridiculous price and some at a more reasonable price.

Here's another essay from a Mallomar lover: Click

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

Lorelai Gilmore has a jones for Mallomars:

"Gilmore Girls" transcript, episode "Happy Birthday, Baby" (on a PC use "Control F" to find "mallomar"...halfway down the page)

On a separate note, another recipe:

Recipe for Mallomar Brownies (The page is kind of "iffy"...it's there sometimes and sometimes not)

And, when Googling, I saw mention of Mallomar Ice Cream but couldn't find a recipe. I shall consider that recipe mythic and unattainable until someone else finds it. :wink: But I could have been mistaken because I did find "mallomar" made a (Letterman?) Top Ten List for "Worst Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Names: Mallomar Khadafy". :laugh:

Edited to add: Uhm, yes, I do have work I could be doing. Why do you ask? :laugh:

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

Mallomars have always been one of my favorite marshmallow concotions--s'mores aside, of course. I haven't even thought about whether or not they have them here in Hawaii. Now I may have to go to eBay because I feel a hankering coming on... Maybe I could squish an on-sale post easter peep on a graham cracker and dip the whole thing in chocolate? On second thought, that sounds gross.

On another marshmallow goodness deprived note, when I was younger, my dad would tell me that I couldn't come visit him Dublin if I didn't bring along a jar of fluff. What's with us Northern East coast folk who cannot live without marshmallow?

----------------------------------------------

Emily in London

http://www.august18th2007.com

I miss Mallomars- can't seem to find them in northern California- has anyone else found them out here?

Real chocolate Pinwheels are different, but equally good. DON'T EVEN TRY the warm weather FAKE chocolate ones they sell during the summer-they're awful!!

Roz

a heat resistant chocolate coating

My, my, that does sound appetizing indeed! :hmmm:

Oh yes - very tasty. back in 1968 or thereabouts I tried Hershey's "tropical chocolate" for the first and last time. Bars of it were included as a dessert item in our Chuck Wagon brand freeze dried trail food for a canoe trip. Truly disgusting stuff - even as a 12 year old who loved anything sweet I didn't enjoy them. This item was resurrected and had a brief flash of popularity during the Gulf War when they were being provided to the troops - "tropical chocolate" quickly died a second time, hopefully not to be resurrected.

This item even went to the moon with the Apollo 15 astronauts but no one is admitting whether they actually ate them.

The history of Hershey's Ration Bars and "Tropical Chocolate"

• 3 months later...

Where have they gone, the cookies celebrated in "When Harry Met Sally"? In Billy Crystal's words, "the greatest cookie ever made", is seemingly, sporadically available on supermarket shelves, here one day, gone the next. Frustrating, to say the least, for one of my housemates. I don't get her fascination, but I'm not a cookie guy.

Does anyone know if Nabisco is still committed to making them?

What ever happened to Nabisco's Mallomars?

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Mallomars are not produced between April and September, because they are not stable enough to ship in unrefrigerated trucks in warm weather. The exact dates change each year, but every year soon after Labor Day the Mallomars return to supermarket shelves in the Northeast and beyond. Mallomar junkies freeze a supply in April in order to make it through the summer.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I live in northern California. I was in Manhattan for a wedding in early May and bought Mallomars in Zabar's. Maybe it's me, but they didn't taste as good as I remembered them from long ago. The chocolate coating did not have the dark chocolate taste that they used to have. Chocolate Pinwheels cookies, which are sold in California(except in summer), are far superior in the taste of the dark chocolate coating, plus the cookie part, which is also chocolate, has a better flavor than the vanilla Mallomar cookie. However, do not buy Fudge Pinwheels/Swirls, which are the substitute hot weather counterparts- the latter are not made with real chocolate, and they taste plastic-y, like the Mallomars.

Mallomars are not produced between April and September, because they are not stable enough to ship in unrefrigerated trucks in warm weather. The exact dates change each year, but every year soon after Labor Day the Mallomars return to supermarket shelves in the Northeast and beyond. Mallomar junkies freeze a supply in April in order to make it through the summer.

Oh thank you, thank you. I’ve never thought about freezing them! I’ve been on the mallomar since high school. My dad got me hooked on them. I’m in Florida, so I think their season is even shorter here. When they would first disappear, I’d walk back in forth in the cookie aisle looking for them. After a month or so, I‘d forget about them. Then they’d be back on the shelf and “Oh goodie Mallomars!” I did this for a few years before I wondered what the hell was up with the Mallomars. That’s when I looked into it and found out they were “seasonal”. I’ll have to freeze a couple of boxes this season. Pinwheels (IMHO) are no substitution.