• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Vegetarian Dining

My girlfriend is vegetarian while I will eat pretty much anything. Going out to eat can be tough because some restaurants don't offer much of an option for vegetarians. Some don't have anything vegetarian on the menu and many have only one option for a vegetarian main course. Obviously, we don't have trouble if we go out to a neighborhood Thai/Indian/etc place. It is when we want to go someplace a little nicer that we run into trouble.

Does anyone have recommendation for Seattle restaurants that are "vegetarian friendly?" That is, places that can be counted on regularly to have multiple, well executed vegetarian entrees.

In this instance I am defining vegetarian to mean no meat, poultry, or seafood, but eggs and dairy are okay.

OK, Here is a short list of Veg Friendly Restaurants.

7 Stars Pepper Schwan at 12th and Jackson. Very Tasty

Cafe Flora. Vegetarian Restaurant through and through. This is definately the NICE vegetarian restaurant in town.

THe herbfarm will work with you on having a vegetarian menu.

Carmelita's in Greenwood is nice.

Still Life in Fremont is cice, especially since thier remodel. I was able to a very nice meal there and I am more demanding as I vegan.

Hopefully this will get you started.

Sarah

My two favorite exclusive vegetarian restaurant, and ones your girlfriend would appreciate (plus taking her to these would look like you really made an effort on her behalf!):

Cafe Flora

Carmelita

Click here for thread about Carmelita and Cafe Flora.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Both Earth and Ocean and Cascadia offer tasting menus for vegetarians.

Marjorie has a few nice entree/appitizer options and has a nice romantic feeling about it.

Zoe and Brasa both have tasty veg friendly options. Just stay out of the steak houses and you should be okay. Chefs are also pretty good about accommodating vegetarians, even though they may grumble.

You could do well at Lark or Harvest Vine too.

Matt's in the Market, with a very short menu, typically has at least one veg offering, and they are well executed.

Although I am vegetarian no longer, I was vegetarian for eleven years and notice how many places do and do not have vegetarian offerings, and I think most restaurants around here seem pretty accomodating if you let them know you're vegetarian. To the many good suggestions already mentioned I would add some of the nicer Italian places in the city. Tulio, for instance, had ample vegetarian offerings to please my vegetarian (and very picky on top of that) sister. Probably not good if your girlfriend is vegan, as many of the vegetarian options in Italian places feature cheese. But if she's ovo-lacto don't rule out Italian places for nice dinners that will accomodate her and leave you with plenty of both veg and non-veg choices.

I'm sure someone else would jump in to say this if I didn't, but about La Spiga: do be aware that their bread (a traditional flatbread called piadina, which they make on site) contains lard. Not technically vegetarian. Just so you know.

That said, however, they do often have excellent vegetarian soups (mmm, La Spiga soups! :wub: ), and they've got a great carrot salad right now with hazelnuts, balsamic, arugula, and fresh mozz. Really, really tasty. Their gnocchi is tough to beat as well, and they almost always have some sort of vegetarian ravioli.

La Spiga is a perennial favorite.

Edited by cheeseandchocolate (log)

She blogs: Orangette