• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nana's Chop House

Chops

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We went here on Friday night. It was only the second night open, so there were a few bugs (e.g., only beer and wine for some strange reason), but, all in all, we gave it a thumbs up.

Appetizers, antipasti, etc. had an Italian inspiration.

Entrees included an option for a huge Florentine steak (for 2), which we did not order. I had the veal chop, which was quite good.

Good atmosphere--nice space.

It looks like the kind of place that will be succesful.

We plan to go back, though I bet that, on our next visit, we'll just eat at the bar and dine from the appetizers, passing on the heavy entree's and big pieces of meat.

Very interesting. i have reservations for thursday. was there much of a crowd when you were there?

it is my understanding that pop's and nana's have gone their seperate ways, is this confirmable? it is also my understanding, having talked to folks at the Q shack, that the Q Shack part of that empire is BBQ-ing dinosaur ribs and veal brisket for the restaurant...

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

That wouldn't surprise me, as Scott Howell has used his smokers at the Durham Q-Shack to smoke salmon and other items for use at Nana's.

As far as Pops is concerned, it's my understanding that Scott let that one go some time ago.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

It wasn't crowded, but since we and the couple who ate with us both brought under 7 month old kids with us, we were eating at the never popular time of 6:30. By the time we left at 9:15, it had become more busy, but wasn't full

• 2 weeks later...

We ate here again this past weekend. Early dinner at the bar Saturday night. We mostly just ate appetizers, risotto, and dessert. Everything was great--especially the risotto. They adverstised a website, nanaschophouse.com, but it doesn't appear to be live yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. Went tonight and ate at the bar. Service was great, had "bar snacks" including fried artichokes, asparagus soup, and shrimp/corn/ham risotto. All were great and not too pricey. But I am leaving this report cause we got creme brulee for dessert and I had to tell you. It was, hands down, the best creme brulee we have had in years. Smooth as silk, not too sweet. Wow.

We will go back.

• 1 month later...

Went to Nana's Chop House to celebrate my in-law's wedding anniversary. The space is open, with a great bar filled with lots of "pretty people" (including one blonde who had trouble keeping her endowments in her dress -- I'm serious, and Mrs. Varmint never noticed me staring over there). They had a nice jazz band playing with a strong vibraphonist. All of this is great, but it resulted in a noisy space becoming almost unbearable.

This is the first time I've ever commented on a restaurant's choice of water glasses, but I love them. They're 20-24 ounce tumblers, and that size is fantastic for someone like me who drinks a ton of water at dinner. If you're not going to have someone constantly refilling glasses (which they did), then have bigger glasses!

Oh, the food: we had an amuse of roasted beet salad with balsamico, EVOO, goat cheese and pistachio. Very simple, but good.

I had an appetizer of seared scallops on potato, served with pickled okra and carrot. The scallops alone were ideal, but their sweetness didn't pair all that well with the pickled vegetables. Mrs. Varmint had an incredible gnocchi dish with butterbeans and a truffle sauce. I can only dream of making gnocchi that light!

For my entree I had thyme-encrusted rack of lamb served with an aromatic and slightly acidic orzo dish, all with a foie gras sauce. This was the best lamb I have ever eaten, and the sauce just added to its unctuousness. The acidity in the orzo helped cut the richness of the dish -- beautiful! Mrs. Varmint had duck breast with spinach risotto, roasted vegetables, and a non-cloying blackberry sauce. Again, Chef Scott Howell showed off his talents of combining flavors that complement each other very, very well.

For dessert I had an OK blackberry butter tart with mango gelato. It didn't dazzle me. Mrs. Varmint had some milk chocolate cake with a mocha ice cream that beat the pants off my choice.

We drank a 2000 Avignonesi Montepulciano and a 2002 Giacosa Roero Arneis. The wine list is pretty decent, and their cellar is prominently displayed as you enter.

Dinner for 8 people, including 6 bottles of wine, 4 beers, 3 dessert wines, and apps/entrees/desserts for all totalled $550 (including tax and tip, too). It was a good value, and I would gladly go again.

Finally, I ran into Chrish Peel, owner of Enoteca Vin, on the way out -- I guess he was checking out the competiton!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

• 8 months later...
Has anyone been here recently?  I'd like to hear more impresions.

no but i can say that scott howell is no longer affiliated with the place, hes been bought out.

by the way it was NEVER his restaurant.

ashley the chef of vin is a consulting chef for the place now.

The complexity of flavor is a token of durable appreciation. Each Time you taste it, each time it's a different story, but each time it's not so different." Paul Verlaine

Has anyone been here recently?  I'd like to hear more impresions.

no but i can say that scott howell is no longer affiliated with the place, hes been bought out.

by the way it was NEVER his restaurant.

ashley the chef of vin is a consulting chef for the place now.

Thanks for the update. Is it still worth going to though?

cant say

i know that juan and ashley the two execs are great people and chefs so, that energy will filter down to the food and atmosphere eventually. :wink:

if you go i would love to hear about it. i can say my first experience was mediocre but that was a year ago.

Edited by ChefSwartz (log)

The complexity of flavor is a token of durable appreciation. Each Time you taste it, each time it's a different story, but each time it's not so different." Paul Verlaine

yeah heres the thing, most websites are not updated. i know the nans's website still has a menu from 2 years ago! scott owns only nanas and the building nanas is in. i wonder if they will keep the name "nana's chophouse", considering it is named for scotts g-ma "nana"?

he also sold the rights to the q-shacks. this is all very new development so it has yet to filter out.

p.s. believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. i dont even suggest listening to me. call scott and ask him. but im 99.999% sure this is the case.

Edited by ChefSwartz (log)

• 1 month later...
Yeah, that is what confuses me.  Is he only at Nana's and the Q Shack mini-chain now?

According to our server at Nana's on Saturday, 6/18, Scott is now affiliated only with Nana's. Server said Scott felt that he was being stretched too thin...duh...so he pulled completely out of all the other places: N's Chophouse, Q-shacks, etc. Indeed, we saw Scott scurry through the dining room at one point.

CBHall

Yeah, that is what confuses me.  Is he only at Nana's and the Q Shack mini-chain now?

According to our server at Nana's on Saturday, 6/18, Scott is now affiliated only with Nana's. Server said Scott felt that he was being stretched too thin...duh...so he pulled completely out of all the other places: N's Chophouse, Q-shacks, etc. Indeed, we saw Scott scurry through the dining room at one point.

I am actually glad to hear he did that. I heard that a few weeks ago via a mutal friend. The Chop House was a big dissapointment for me. I love the Q-Shack, but beforewarned the one of Hillsborough St. apparently closes early in the summer.

-----------------

AMUSE ME

closes down, or goes on vacation?