• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe Contest

Best Asparagus recipe, Indian style.

Inspired by all the discussion on asparagus in the India forum recently , I have decided to hold a fun contest.

You will have three days to complete the contest. Only the recipes posted on the recipeGullet will be judged. Our very own eGulleter's Rajsuman and Tryska will be the judges. The winner will receive a copy of one of my favorite new books – The Potsticker Chronicles.

The rules –

1. You will need to use asparagus as one of the main ingredients

2. Please post tested recipes. IF you can provide a picture even better

3. You will need to use spices listed here… using any of the Indian pantry items listed here -- Indian Pantry

4. Anyone in an “official” capacity at eGullet is eligible to enter but will not receive any prizes.

Judgments

1. All judgments are final

2. Contest ends on April 15th

3. The winner will be announced on April 20th

Please post your entries on this thread along with a link to recipeGullet.

(Note – We may need an alternate judge if Rajsuman is unable to find asparagus!)

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

couldn't we do this contest with a less expensive vegetable? these would be some very expensive failures.

I thought asparagus was cheap right now.. am I wrong? We are getting a large bunch here for around $2.50

This contest was for the more exotic .. next one I promise I will do with a more reasonable choice

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

probably a different story in colorado. as for failure--i wasn't anticipating my final, inevitable failure but the failures even the winner will go through before hitting on the winning recipe--unless everyone has a secret asparagus recipe already in their back-pocket.

. . . i wasn't anticipating my final, inevitable failure but the failures even the winner will go through before hitting on the winning recipe . . .

Then be glad you've only got three days -- how broke can you go in that time? Well, how broke can you go on asparagus, anyway?

All the cheap spears are coming from Mexico, so if anything, Coloradans should have it a little better than us on the East coast. I hope that's the case, anyway.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Asparagus won't be here for another few weeks. That said there is Spanish asparagus in the shops, but it is not the same. There are today three, count them three, spears coming up in the asparagus patch in my garden.

You've set a really hard task. Asparagus is not usually associated with Indian spicing or tradition. Even Anglo-indian recipes and writers such as Wyvern (Col Kenney Herbert) in the days of the Raj serve it plain, or with hollandaise, or in a charlotte.

I'm not going to be able to test these or enter into the recipe database. In any case the new season asparagus is such a treat that I like it plain or with melted butter, or maybe with a soft poached egg to dip the spears into. Best way to cook is to roast in a hot oven (180C/350F) with a little olive oil and salt for 10 minutes, until just soft.

You probably know the trick of bending the raw stalk until it breaks - it snaps at the point where it begins to get woody. If you are fancy or a high end restaurant you peel the stalk from below the tip. The trimmings make soup.

Here are three ideas:

Asparagus goes well with nut flavours, so perhaps a little pile of fine grated coconut, salt and mild curry spices on the side of the plate, to dip into.

You could dress it with a curried oil, but I think that would overpower it.

A risotto, creamy with coconut milk and mildly spiced like a Korma would be possible, but the spices should be very light, just a hint of spice so as not to overwhelm the asparagus,

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Craig Camp says so. Actually he says counterclockwise - widdershins- but that is just related to the belief that stirring it the wrong way keeps the devil out (or in, as you prefer). Since this is Indian cookery, clockwise is appropriate.

Its an old superstition. It may be that stirring continuosly in the same direction breaks up the grains less.

Can you take some photos?

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Asparagus is cheap at the moment -- $1.69 here in Atlanta. This doesn't seem unreasonable to me. At no other time of the year could you hold this contest so inexpensively.

Besides, Mongo, why anticipate failure so readily?

You lucky guys!!! :shock:

I just got a 500g bunch at 5€91 for the spanish ones. The Belgian ones were 3€more :sad:

Asparagus is cheap at the moment -- $1.69 here in Atlanta. This doesn't seem unreasonable to me. At no other time of the year could you hold this contest so inexpensively.

I just got a 500g bunch at 5€91 for the spanish ones. The Belgian ones were 3€more :sad:

I am hoping that this means you will enter the contest!

Comeon guys -- we would love more entries.. :smile:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

monica, even on short notice i think the contest is an excellent idea! of course, i love asparagus. and as i wrote on the "exotic" thread i think it will be wonderful cooked with indian techniques and seasonings. i wouldn't worry too much about overpowering it--asparagus can be subtle (certainly no more so than white radish/mooli or turnips/shalgam when cooked!), but its shape and texture also lend it great power. i'll post a recipe on the 15th, and i imagine most other folks are polishing their recipes as well. i hope.

when i make asparagus pakoras, i like to leave the batter unspiced, and serve it with a creamy toasted coconut chutney flavored with chana and fresh cilantro and mint. i find the flavor of the asparagus plays with the notes of the chutney and the crisped besan batter, and isn't overwhelmed at all.

i hope somebody is working on a stuffed paratha recipe out there! i think the flaky toasted flour/atta will go so well with asparagus. oh!

and hey--if you don't get a reasonable showing in the contest, just extend it a bit. asparagus deserves thoughtful treatment from this incredible board. :smile:

whippy - I so appreciate your taking the time to do this. I am hoping that this contest will set an example for many more to come. THe time frame is short due to other eGullet events that are scheduled.. I hope that this proves to be a success so we can host many more!

thanks again for taking the time.. and please do keep the posts coming!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

this contest is a very good idea, I wish I could take part, but my cooking skills, especially Indian, are very limited. I love asparagus, but typically just grilled or roasted with a bit of olive oil and some spices. I can't wait to try some of the recipes this contest will hopefully produce!

I am hoping that this means you will enter the contest!

Comeon guys -- we would love more entries.. :smile:

No, no, Monica, I'm not the competitive type – just does not fit in my ethics!

But I will gladly post my recipe

Hi: I'm a new member of this group, and I recently added

a recipe for the asparagus contest:

asparagus paruppu usilli;

it's an adaptation of a common south indian veggie side dish

to this great veggie. It's a very mild and family friendly

recipe, so it won't overpower the asparagus taste.

My kids love this...

Milagai