• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Angel Food Cake

nessa

Since you aren't supposed to grease an tube pan when baking an angelfood cake, I was thinking of just plopping the batter into ungreased "naked" muffin tins.

This is for the snowangel's 13th birthday, who in fact is an angel. (Ice cream and strawberries on top.

So should I just get whipping and baking and make a coupla regular cakes in my square angelfood cake pan?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Wait wait, they're called Heavenly Lemon Muffins And the angel food part is just a dollop that makes a crust on top--geez they look good. And there's a strawberry version. You could just make one up too.

I've made them before - it works quite well, though I did use muffin liners to easily get them out of the pan. Light and very refreshing - great "lighter" treat on a warm day.

gallery_51259_4126_92352.jpg

I iced them in a butter/confectioners' sugar frosting thinned with lemon juice and a bit of milk

gallery_51259_4126_136927.jpg

Edited by DesertCulinary (log)

Thanks for the advice.

Next question. I'll be serving them tomorrow afternoon. Can I go ahead and make them tonight? I won't be frosting them, but serving them with whipped cream and the last of last summer's wonderful strawberries.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 2 years later...

I need to make 6 angel food cakes for next weekend for my son's high school graduation (1 down, 3 to go!!). I have been cornered into making angel food cakes for the diabetic guests. I am thinking of using splenda. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with a sugarfree angel food cake?

I've done it with the 50/50 stuff and it was okay. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've done Angelfood with just Splenda.

Publix makes a sugar-free Angelfood cake that is decent (if you are going to smother it in strawberries). I have no idea what they use in place of sugar.

Angel food cake is pretty diabetic-friendly to begin with. If you really want to make it friendlier, just cut it into smaller servings.

That being said, take a look at this topic from the Cooks Illustrated BB

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/ibb/pos...x?postID=198498

The woman used agave nectar successfully (though she says the cake was a bit dense). She posts the recipe at the bottom of the thread. Someone else in the thread mentions 100% Splenda didn't work.

I need to make 6 angel food cakes for next weekend for my son's high school graduation (1 down, 3 to go!!).  I have been cornered into making angel food cakes for the diabetic guests.  I am thinking of using splenda. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with a sugarfree angel food cake?

I find that lemon added to anything with Splenda cuts the Splenda aftertaste pretty handily -- you might want to consider a lemon angel cake.

Thanks for the responses. So far I tried Splenda using a recipe I found on the internet. Then I tried another recipe from Chocolatier Magazine (an old magazine issue!) and I substituted the 1.5 cups icing sugar for 3/4 cup splenda and 3/4 cup xylitol. Then for the egg whites it calls for 1 cup sugar in which I used 3/4 xylitol. I find that I don't get the nice airy cakes after they have cooled down. They tend to shrink up. I will try some of the suggestions in this posting.

I find my cakes compress!! What can I do to make the angel food cakes remain light and airy? I do use cream of tartar but is there anything else?

Are you turning them upside down to cool?

With diabetes, it's because sugar is a carb that it needs to be limited, not just because it's sugar.

As I said earlier, angel food cakes are pretty diabetic-friendly as they are. According to the endocrineweb.com website, "A 1/12 slice of angel food cake has less than 1 gram of fat and only 30 carb." You could even cut the cake into 16 pieces (small, but enough to satisfy), and you get about 23 grams of carbs.

Why not just go with sugar?

Edited by prasantrin (log)

As a diabetic, I would say this:

Don't make anything special. Just make what you are making and put it on the table. We know what it is. If it fits our plan for the day, we will eat it. If it doesn't, too bad. We will probably eat it anyway. But that isn't your issue :smile:

I just HATE going to an event where someone has gone ahead and made something that is 'diabetic friendly' or 'sugar free'. I then feel compelled to have that and only that, because everyone is watching me. And I gotta tell you, it tastes like crap every single time, and I end up upset because I didn't feel I could have what I wanted to have. Believe me, a tiny piece of chocolate cake is way better than a wacking slice of something awful.

But that's just me.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

• 5 years later...

It's been at least twenty years or thereabout since I've assayed an angel food.  Usually I do not care for angel food cakes as I find them too sickeningly sweet.  Notwithstanding, I was sitting here tonight reading reviews of mixers.  It is hard to read reviews of mixers and not somehow think of angel food.  Particularly when one has a bowl of egg whites that need using up.

I started with the recipe in post #16, but halved it, substituted one ounce of trehalose for one ounce of sugar, and omitted the vanilla.

Final temperature measured 205 deg F.  The cake is now cooling upside down.  Howsoever it turns out, what is most remarkable is that I baked a cake and did not spill anything.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My best ever.  Though I suspect I will be sick of angel food by the time that it is gone.  I may take half of it to work.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...