• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Rabbi Ribeye on Kosher Wine

Suzanne F

Once again, Rabbi Ribeye has offered us a small taste of his humorously perceptive writing in this article! His writing is buttery, crisp, well balanced, and full bodied.

His style is most assuredly not "writing ordinaire", but sensitive and nuanced with his own personal and inimitable joie de vivre ... and, in fact, reminds me of James Thurber's 1937 cartoon showing one drinker commenting to others: "It's a naïve domestic Burgundy without any breeding, but I think you'll be amused by its presumption."

To be sure, while there is nothing presumptuous in Rabbi Ribeye's writing, we are most definitely amused! :biggrin:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

:biggrin:

Beautifully nuanced and accessible.

I never tried the Manischewitz 'exotics' -- the peach and mango stuff -- on their own merits. My late mother-in-law (upon whose memory be peace) used to mix them half-and-half with...yikes...7-Up, and drink that as a pre-dinner tipple.

I never checked the 7-Up bottle to see whether it was kosher, and kept my mouth shut.

What is it about the Rebbe's writing that always calls up memories like these?

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I can't help but wonder if the good Rabbi has been chatting with my father who, on a regular basis, extolls the joys of Concord Grape or Malaga.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I wonder if the kind Rabbi, or anyone for that matter who is more chacham than I am can tell me what "mevushal" means, or why I should care whether or not the grapes were "orla."

I let Jsmeeker tell me where to eat in Vegas.

I wonder if the kind Rabbi, or anyone for that matter who is more chacham than I am can tell me what "mevushal" means, or why I should care whether or not the grapes were "orla."

Obviously, and because I am neither a rabbi nor a chacham, have managed to find the simplest, most direct information on mevushal and orla to be located on this link:

http://www.allhlwines.com/kosher.html

Hope it gives you some idea of what these terms mean and the ramifications as well ... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"