• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big time pet-peeve

davidbdesilva

Went to a very nice restaurant last night here in Philly (Novelty) and ordered a very nice Reisling Spatlese (forget the name). It was more than I usually like to pay for a bottle in a restaurant ($49) but it was recommended by the sommelier. The (young) waiter brought it over to the table, opened it, gave me a sip, I nodded and then he proceeded to slosh it into my wife's glass so fast and furious that he spilled a good ounce of it on the table. He then sloshed me (no spillage thank goodness) and walked away, no apology. I looked at my wife and started laughing. He periodically returned and never let our glasses go empty, but each time it was like he was pouring lemonade on a hot summer day.

On one return trip to the table I commented that I really liked the wine and asked to see the bottle again. He proceeded to contort the bottle in all manner of directions as I watched the wine inside toss and turn like a rough sea. I laughed again. Fortunately the company, window seat, food and wine were all too good to get uptight about it. Does this bother anyone else like it bothers me or is this just a silly pet peeve?

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Went to a very nice restaurant last night here in Philly (Novelty) and ordered a very nice Reisling Spatlese (forget the name). It was more than I usually like to pay for a bottle in a restaurant ($49) but it was recommended by the sommelier. The (young) waiter brought it over to the table, opened it, gave me a sip, I nodded and then he proceeded to slosh it into my wife's glass so fast and furious that he spilled a good ounce of it on the table. He then sloshed me (no spillage thank goodness) and walked away, no apology. I looked at my wife and started laughing. He periodically returned and never let our glasses go empty, but each time it was like he was pouring lemonade on a hot summer day.

On one return trip to the table I commented that I really liked the wine and asked to see the bottle again. He proceeded to contort the bottle in all manner of directions as I watched the wine inside toss and turn like a rough sea. I laughed again. Fortunately the company, window seat, food and wine were all too good to get uptight about it. Does this bother anyone else like it bothers me or is this just a silly pet peeve?

Totally understandable - part of good wine service is showing a little reverence for the juice and never filling the glass more than a slightly over the widest part of the bowl.

My canned comment when experiencing something like this is "My, you're so graceful, did you ever take ballet lessons?" :smile:

Totally understandable - part of good wine service is showing a little reverence for the juice and never filling the glass more than a slightly over the widest part of the bowl.

This happens so rarely. How can this be instilled into the globel psyche? Everyone I know fills glasses too full.

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

I hardly ever order wine in restaurants. Part of the problem is pricing. It's also partly due to issues of service, glassware and temperature.

But I have on a few occasions politely asked for the bottle and told the waiter that I would like to pour it myself.

Also, you can simply place your hand over the glass when he comes back around to fill your glass up. Then refill at your convenience.

It should come as no surprise that waiters are generally coached to keep glasses full. The quicker the bottle is empty, the sooner he can try to sell you another one.....

"Enjoy every sandwich."

Warren Zevon, 10/30/02

How the wine is poured doesn't bother me if the glass isn't filled too full (and usually I just say "that's plenty") and if the server doesn't spill the wine. There is no excuse for spilling, and the server should've done something to make up for it.

But, more often than not, like blil, I let the server know I'll pour my own.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

It should come as no surprise that waiters are generally coached to keep glasses full.  The quicker the bottle is empty, the sooner he can try to sell you another one.....

Lies!!!!!!!!

These are the kinds of myths that drive folks in "the industry" nuts.

While I'm sure that in many places servers are coached to "sell more wine"

I think that the over pouring issue is due to ignorance than anything else.

Sort of a"Hey, people don't like it when their water runs out, so people won't like it when their wine runs out" attitude.

When I encounter an over-zellous refiller in a restaurant I explain that I would like experience my wine's development in the glass, and ask them not to re-fill my wine glass until it's almost empty...much less rude/ambiguous than putting one's hand over the glass. The information stays with the server, and rarely upon returning to a restaurant do i have the same problem twice.

I pour wine "correctly", all the time, only to step away from the table and watch as a patron grabs the bottle and fills their glasses -way- too full. Happens way more often than you'd think. As well, when I'm waiting to fill glasses until appropriately empty, I've been snidely told "Keep the wine comming, honey, I don't want to run out."

I know I'm doing wine service correctly, but a less-experienced wine professional/server could think that they're doing something wrong after a couple of experiences like that.

Ultimately the guest is always "right". I understand that.

However they want their wine is the way they should have the wine....be that over-full, never empty glasses, or the "correct" way .

I guess I'm just tired of these myths about the service industry. We're portrayed as barely-human, evil, uncaring, ignorant, money grubbing scum, out to suck the last dime out of our guests' pockets with our "tricks"

I guess I'm just tired of these myths about the service industry. We're portrayed as barely-human, evil, uncaring, ignorant, money grubbing scum, out to suck the last dime out of our guests' pockets with our "tricks"

While I think I see your point, I also think you'll find that there is actually very little of this "portraying" going on on eGullet. Too many of us in the industry ourselves :wink:

Noise is music. All else is food.

I'm a former restaurant worker myself (back of the house) and I've heard plenty of waiters and waitresses talk about filling up the glasses and selling extra bottles.

Good for you if you don't engage in this type of behavior. The industry needs more people like you.

"Enjoy every sandwich."

Warren Zevon, 10/30/02

I guess I'm just tired of these myths about the service industry.  We're portrayed as barely-human, evil, uncaring, ignorant, money grubbing scum, out to suck the last dime out of our guests' pockets with our "tricks"

I'm a former restaurant worker myself (back of the house) and I've heard plenty of waiters and waitresses talk about filling up the glasses and selling extra bottles.

Good for you if you don't engage in this type of behavior. The industry needs more people like you.

Sometimes that isn't solely attributable to the waitstaff's motivation. Often managers are right behind them coaching this increased sales goal.

I don't work in the industry anymore but am currently in Sales & Marketing.

One or more of these terms would probably apply to me on a daily basis :smile:

I guess I'm just tired of these myths about the service industry.  We're portrayed as barely-human, evil, uncaring, ignorant, money grubbing scum, out to suck the last dime out of our guests' pockets with our "tricks"

Sometimes that isn't solely attributable to the waitstaff's motivation. Often managers are right behind them coaching this increased sales goal.

My point is not that these things don't -ever- happen...they do..they even happen to me.

"the industry" is not sales, it's service. "the industry" is one of the most misunderstood.

Most often when a server, or a busboy, or a wine steward does that "something" that drives someone nuts, folks outside of the industry immediately attribute it to some sort of money-making manipulation.

Truth is, most of the time, it's ignorance.

I've been a bartender, a server, right now I'm *shudder* management...and I've done all those wrong terrible things at some point in my career. Everytime I've done them, it was out of ignorance.

That's my point

I have to admit that when I first settled on the Gewurtztraminer (at $41) and then was told that the sommelier recommended the Reisling (at $49) that I felt a twinge of "he's trying to sell me a more expensive bottle of wine" run through me. The Reisling, as I said, turned out to be a very good bottle of wine, a good choice to match our food, and I was glad that I did order it. I too dislike buying wine in restaurants primarily due to obscene mark ups, that's why I predominatly frequent the many BYOB's we have here in Philly :smile:

The problem I had with this server was that he took the bottle with him and stored it away from the table. When in a chiller near the table I usually choose when and how much to pour so it usually isn't an issue. I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but more upscale restaurants need to make sure that servers are well trained. Ours seemed nervous but was a nice person. All this being said, we both agreed that we would return to this restaurant and I would highly recommend it to those who live in the area.

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

The problem I had with this server was that he took the bottle with him and stored it away from the table. When in a chiller near the table I usually choose when and how much to pour so it usually isn't an issue.

I really don't like it when my wine bottle is removed from the table, either. Aside from a bad wine list, that is perhaps my biggest pet peeve with wine in restaurants. Any thoughts as to the rationale of the restaurant for doing this. I have experienced this in many a fine restaurant.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I don't work in the industry anymore but am currently in Sales & Marketing.

One or more of these terms would probably apply to me on a daily basis :smile:

:laugh:

The problem I had with this server was that he took the bottle with him and stored it away from the table. When in a chiller near the table I usually choose when and how much to pour so it usually isn't an issue.

I really don't like it when my wine bottle is removed from the table, either. Aside from a bad wine list, that is perhaps my biggest pet peeve with wine in restaurants. Any thoughts as to the rationale of the restaurant for doing this. I have experienced this in many a fine restaurant.

This is usually only done in higher end restaurants. Keeping the wine away from the table allows the table to remain less cluttered (a cleaner look, easy to serve the food), prevents the wine from being spilled accidentally, etc. It also keeps the sommelier/server "in charge" of the bottle (not meant in a bad way). They will be doing the pouring/refilling, will know the current fill level of the bottle, ask if you'd like another bottle, etc.

I don't see it as an issue in higher end places.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero