• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Other Vermouth

beans

I enjoy reading William L. Hamilton's weekly Fashion and Style column.

I thought perhaps this one may be of interest since there has been another round of discussion on that almighty Martini. :cool:

While ultrapremium gins and vodkas make splashy entrances in martinis all over town, segregating drinkers into two camps like a turf war at a club, no one is paying much attention to what goes with them.

It's vermouth, of course, and generally it is not encouraged to speak up.

But some of the more stylish players on the cocktail scene are hitting on a different flavor: sweet vermouth.

Today's article here.

Cheers!

It's not what I call a martini (I'm strictly a Tanqueryand Noilly Prat kinda guy, with a twist) but it is a nice change of pace.

That's exactly how I usually take my martinis, but I like the sweet vermouth ones too, sometimes quite a bit. The secret, I think, is not to call it a Martini--call it a Bradford (with a dash of orange bitters and a lemon twist) or a Brighton (same, but no twist), a Chanler (twist, no bitters) or a Hearst (no twist, but orange bitters again and a dash of Angostura)* or anything you want but "Martini" and it'll somehow mysteriously taste better--in my experience, anyway. Once I get that image of a crystalline, icy-cold "see-through" out of my head, one of these stops seeming like a Martini that's made a wrong turn somewhere and appears as a cocktail in its own right. Maybe I just like fooling myself.

*These are all from the Old Waldorf-Astoria, pre-Prohibition. Also wonderful is the old San Martin (aka Sand Martin, wrongly), which is simply two parts gin to one part sweet vermouth, with a dash of yellow--not green--Chartreuse.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

This sounds like a great combination, and I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it myself. It's so obvious! Will be trying this soonest with a nice strong-flavored gin and some Vya sweet vermouth.

--

• 3 months later...